Daniel Murphy
Aug 28, 2015
Daniel Murphy
Aug 28, 2015
H. S. Teoh
Aug 28, 2015
wobbles
August 27, 2015
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this on the forum yet, but as of 23 Aug, dmd git HEAD has switched over to ddmd with the landmark commit 88ec9d8.  Since that time, the remaining C++ files have been slowly but surely phased out one by one, replaced with their D equivalents.

This is awesome news!!!! I think a celebration is in order. ;-)

As of today, there are still about 28 or so C++ files left (84 source files are now in D). PRs converting C++ sources to D continue to trickle in.

Way to go, D!

T

-- 
No! I'm not in denial!
August 27, 2015
On Thursday, 27 August 2015 at 20:43:49 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this on the forum yet […]

See http://forum.dlang.org/post/mrbl1d$qhs$1@digitalmars.com

> As of today, there are still about 28 or so C++ files left (84 source files are now in D). PRs converting C++ sources to D continue to trickle in.

The DMC backend is still in C++, although Daniel is planning to convert it to D too.

— David
August 27, 2015
On Thursday, 27 August 2015 at 20:43:49 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this on the forum yet, but as of 23 Aug, dmd git HEAD has switched over to ddmd with the landmark commit 88ec9d8.  Since that time, the remaining C++ files have been slowly but surely phased out one by one, replaced with their D equivalents.
>
> This is awesome news!!!! I think a celebration is in order. ;-)
>
> As of today, there are still about 28 or so C++ files left (84 source files are now in D). PRs converting C++ sources to D continue to trickle in.
>
> Way to go, D!
>
>
> T

Haven't been reading Announce? :)

http://forum.dlang.org/post/mrbl1d$qhs$1@digitalmars.com
August 27, 2015
On Thursday, 27 August 2015 at 20:46:59 UTC, Brad Anderson wrote:
> On Thursday, 27 August 2015 at 20:43:49 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this on the forum yet, but as of 23 Aug, dmd git HEAD has switched over to ddmd with the landmark commit 88ec9d8.  Since that time, the remaining C++ files have been slowly but surely phased out one by one, replaced with their D equivalents.
>>
>> This is awesome news!!!! I think a celebration is in order. ;-)
>>
>> As of today, there are still about 28 or so C++ files left (84 source files are now in D). PRs converting C++ sources to D continue to trickle in.
>>
>> Way to go, D!
>>
>>
>> T
>
> Haven't been reading Announce? :)
>
> http://forum.dlang.org/post/mrbl1d$qhs$1@digitalmars.com

So.. looking through the source, I see lots of this:

extern (C++) class { ... }

Wasn't extern(C++) only supposed to work on interfaces?
Are the docs outdated?

Thanks,
    Bit

August 28, 2015
"bitwise"  wrote in message news:ydbofgjkddszxedpwogv@forum.dlang.org...

> So.. looking through the source, I see lots of this:
>
> extern (C++) class { ... }
>
> Wasn't extern(C++) only supposed to work on interfaces?
> Are the docs outdated?

Yup.  extern(C++) works with almost everything except special member functions. 

August 28, 2015
"H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d"  wrote in message news:mailman.579.1440708229.13986.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com...

> I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this on the forum yet, but as of 23
> Aug, dmd git HEAD has switched over to ddmd with the landmark commit
> 88ec9d8.  Since that time, the remaining C++ files have been slowly but
> surely phased out one by one, replaced with their D equivalents.
>
> This is awesome news!!!! I think a celebration is in order. ;-)

We've been celebrating without you on the announce list!

>
> As of today, there are still about 28 or so C++ files left (84 source
> files are now in D). PRs converting C++ sources to D continue to trickle
> in.
>
> Way to go, D!

Unfortunately it's going to slow down for a little while.  The files I've done post-switch were only left in C++ because they used a small part of the backend headers and were easier to do by hand instead of converting automatically.  The rest of the glue layer/backend (~90 c++ files) is going to need a conversion project of the same scale as the frontend one, preceded by a refactoring project 10 times the size of the frontend one.

Walter's recent backend cleanup PRs are working on this, and I'm working on a backend test suite to make refactoring safer.

We could see DMD be 100% D within six months, depending on how much free time I have and how picky Walter is about my refactoring PRs. 

August 28, 2015
On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 11:17:55AM +1000, Daniel Murphy via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> "H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d"  wrote in message news:mailman.579.1440708229.13986.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com...
[...]
> We've been celebrating without you on the announce list!

Apparently. :-P

> >As of today, there are still about 28 or so C++ files left (84 source files are now in D). PRs converting C++ sources to D continue to trickle in.
> >
> >Way to go, D!
> 
> Unfortunately it's going to slow down for a little while.  The files I've done post-switch were only left in C++ because they used a small part of the backend headers and were easier to do by hand instead of converting automatically.  The rest of the glue layer/backend (~90 c++ files) is going to need a conversion project of the same scale as the frontend one, preceded by a refactoring project 10 times the size of the frontend one.
> 
> Walter's recent backend cleanup PRs are working on this, and I'm working on a backend test suite to make refactoring safer.
> 
> We could see DMD be 100% D within six months, depending on how much free time I have and how picky Walter is about my refactoring PRs.

6 months isn't that long of a time. Excited to hear that 100% D DMD will soon arrive.

Another thing I just realized, is that by moving DMD to D, we've given ourselves much greater motivation to improve DMD's codegen, which I think is a good (and necessary!) thing, being the reference compiler and all. Not every newbie will understand the current situation where the reference compiler doesn't produce the most performant code.

T

-- 
BREAKFAST.COM halted...Cereal Port Not Responding. -- YHL
August 28, 2015
On Friday, 28 August 2015 at 14:55:51 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 11:17:55AM +1000, Daniel Murphy via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> [...]
> [...]
>> [...]
>
> Apparently. :-P
>
>
>> [...]
>
> 6 months isn't that long of a time. Excited to hear that 100% D DMD will soon arrive.
>
> Another thing I just realized, is that by moving DMD to D, we've given ourselves much greater motivation to improve DMD's codegen, which I think is a good (and necessary!) thing, being the reference compiler and all. Not every newbie will understand the current situation where the reference compiler doesn't produce the most performant code.
>
>
> T

And the other advantage is that we'll get performant code with a performant compiler - GDC/LDC are much slower running than DMD.