January 03, 2013
On Thursday, 3 January 2013 at 01:06:46 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/2/2013 2:45 PM, deadalnix wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 2 January 2013 at 07:01:02 UTC, Bernard Helyer wrote:
>>> I am getting a whole _mess_ of "warning: statement not reachable"
>>> on everything after a final switch.
>>
>> I can confirm this. Freaking annoying (and not really convincing me that D is
>> stable) !
>
> Please post example to bugzilla.

I plan too, but will needs hours to reduce the case. I'll do it in the next days.
January 03, 2013
On Thu, 2013-01-03 at 01:26 -0800, Walter Bright wrote: […]
> Windows 7 has TRIM support, Windows XP does not. I have an SSD drive in an XP machine, it runs as slow as a spinning disk. An SSD in Win7, with TRIM, runs like lightning.

Linux had TRIM support since 2008, but until late 2010 it wasn't easy to work with.  Since then (> 2.6.33) Linux support for TRIM has been fine as long as you use ext4 filestores. You just have to add the discard property to the partition mount in fstab.

-- 
Russel. ============================================================================= Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.winder@ekiga.net 41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel@winder.org.uk London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder

January 03, 2013
On 2013-01-02 22:19, Walter Bright wrote:

> Having backups doesn't work so good when the versions and settings
> change with a new OS.

I mean, before you upgrade the OS you make sure you have everything backed up. Then if the installation trashes everything you can at least rollback to the previous state.

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
January 03, 2013
On 2013-01-02 22:19, Walter Bright wrote:

> Having backups doesn't work so good when the versions and settings
> change with a new OS.

I can also add that the latest upgrades I have performed I cloned the hard drive containing the OS. Then I perform the upgrade on the clone, if everything works ok I either run the clone instead or does the same on the original disk.

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
January 03, 2013
On Thursday, 3 January 2013 at 01:06:46 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/2/2013 2:45 PM, deadalnix wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 2 January 2013 at 07:01:02 UTC, Bernard Helyer wrote:
>>> I am getting a whole _mess_ of "warning: statement not reachable"
>>> on everything after a final switch.
>>
>> I can confirm this. Freaking annoying (and not really convincing me that D is
>> stable) !
>
> Please post example to bugzilla.

http://d.puremagic.com/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=9263
January 03, 2013
On 2 January 2013 18:07, Walter Bright <newshound2@digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 1/2/2013 9:59 AM, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, 2 January 2013 at 17:53:58 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>>> On 1/2/2013 4:12 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>>>
>>>> On 2013-01-02 00:46, Walter Bright wrote:
>>>>
>>>>  2. the OS X package hasn't been built yet (problems with the package
>>>>> script).
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> What isn't working? Is there something I can do to help?
>>>>
>>>>
>>> The various packages are all built on Ubuntu. The OS X one failed
>>> because it
>>> couldn't find ruby, and ruby does not work on Ubuntu (at least my
>>> version of
>>> Ubuntu - there is no ruby package for it).
>>>
>>>
>>
>> Really?   http://packages.ubuntu.com/**quantal/ruby<http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/ruby>
>>
>
> Yeah, really. sudo apt-get ruby fails on Ubuntu 10.10.
>
>
Ubuntu 10.10 repositories have been moved to http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/

Changing your sources repository to that should fix for you. But then again why fix a system that ain't broke. :o)

Regards
-- 
Iain Buclaw

*(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';

January 03, 2013
On 3 January 2013 11:45, Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On 2 January 2013 18:07, Walter Bright <newshound2@digitalmars.com> wrote:
>
>> On 1/2/2013 9:59 AM, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>>
>>> On Wednesday, 2 January 2013 at 17:53:58 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>>>
>>>> On 1/2/2013 4:12 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> On 2013-01-02 00:46, Walter Bright wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>  2. the OS X package hasn't been built yet (problems with the package
>>>>>> script).
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> What isn't working? Is there something I can do to help?
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>> The various packages are all built on Ubuntu. The OS X one failed
>>>> because it
>>>> couldn't find ruby, and ruby does not work on Ubuntu (at least my
>>>> version of
>>>> Ubuntu - there is no ruby package for it).
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> Really?   http://packages.ubuntu.com/**quantal/ruby<http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/ruby>
>>>
>>
>> Yeah, really. sudo apt-get ruby fails on Ubuntu 10.10.
>>
>>
> Ubuntu 10.10 repositories have been moved to http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
>
> Changing your sources repository to that should fix for you. But then again why fix a system that ain't broke. :o)
>
>

PS: Move to Debian!

-- 
Iain Buclaw

January 03, 2013
On 01/02/2013 04:18 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Why would you need to? If your mail store is IMAP, just let it rebuild.
>
> I don't store email on the server, I store it locally.

I gave that up years ago when I ended up with more than one device. Too much "did I get that email on my laptop or my desktop?" And now with tablet, phone, laptop, desktop, and several kiosk machines around the house (because how else do you watch Firefly whilst loading custom hunting ammunition in the gun room?) and then the device proliferation continues...

>> scp -rp ~/.thunderbird <target machine>
>>
>> will shove your whole TB directory to the new box.
>
> Doesn't work on Windows.

Why not? The directory may be different, but the philosophy should still hold. Just install ssh/sshd from cygwin and you're set.

(The cheekier response is "stop using toy OS's". Windows is only suitable for playing video games, and I'm looking forward to Steam's release for Linux such that I can power on the Wintendo less and less. I haven't done "real work" on Windows in 10 years. Too much UI struggle and context switching because of lack of proper virtual desktops and focus follows mouse has never quite worked correctly).

> Anyhow, the TB documentation never says this.

TB has documentation? I can't say that I've ever read it. :-)

> Nor does that help you if you just want to move account settings over
> rather than the entire 10 years worth of mail. (I generally limit what I
> put on my laptop, in case I lose it!)

Hence, my server-side email storage preference. I also have a script which pulls the mailstore locally once a month, just in case the hosting company has an issue, and then that lives on a machine with a RAID mirror and monthly detached backup.

> What is the rationale behind import/export of address books, and not
> doing that for anything else?

I have no idea. I'm not sure "rationale" applies to many FLOSS projects of appreciable size. In a cathedral model, you'd have that.. not so much in the bazaar.
-- 
Matthew Caron, Software Build Engineer
Sixnet, a Red Lion business | www.sixnet.com
+1 (518) 877-5173 x138 office
January 03, 2013
Al 03/01/13 09:26, En/na Russel Winder ha escrit:
> On Wed, 2013-01-02 at 20:31 +0100, Jordi Sayol wrote:
> […]
>> Walter, to avoid this problem you can install a "rolling" release like Linux Mint Debian Edition, based on Debian testing.
>> You just need to keep it upgraded with "mintUpdate" manager (shield on panel). Read the "Update pack info" before.
> 
> Sadly Debian Testing, outside of a freeze period prior to a Stable release, has this habit of allowing Britney to delete important packages. Despite the statements put out by Debian, Debian Testing is not a viable rolling release. Debian Unstable is the only viable rolling release. Even then during a freeze it is irritating.
> 
> Has Linux Mint Debian Edition got a fix for this problem with Debian Testing?
> 

1. LMDE is not Debian Testing, it's based on Debian Testing (not shared repositories).

2. They update differently. Debian Testing constantly receive updates. Instead, LMDE releases “Update Packs” every few months (tested snapshots of Debian Testing). So we can call it "semi-rolling release".

3. LMDE has not deadline, unlike Debian Stable, Ubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE, etc.

Anyway, nobody is forced to use it. Until today, I've not found yet a "perfect" Linux release.

Best regards,
-- 
Jordi Sayol

January 03, 2013
On 3 January 2013 09:29, Russel Winder <russel@winder.org.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 2013-01-03 at 00:34 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
> > On 1/3/2013 12:25 AM, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
> > > 1/3/2013 12:22 PM, Russel Winder пишет:
> > >> I threw in the towel on Ubuntu when Unity came out as the default UI.
> > >>
> > > Going OT but can't agree more :)
> >
> > I use a command prompt, and don't particular care about the UI <g>.
>
> There was a revolution in Debian, Ubuntu, and Fedora that will affect you even if you are just a command line person (as I am).  Ubuntu moved to Unity which only Canonical staff seem to like. Debian and Fedora
>

I don't know, there are many users out there who rather like Unity too...

> stuck with GNOME 3 and the Gnome Shell, which many people hate but
>

Debian did switch to XFCE as the default desktop environment in August, and I think Mint forked Gnome 2.  There's a lot a distribution can do or can switch to, so they are not really stuck at all.

> actually a lot of people (including me now, but not originally) really prefer over GNOME 2. Various high profile people (cf. Linus Torvalds) panned GNOME Shell and skipped off to XFCE on GNOME 3 and then KDE.
>
> His attack on GNOME Shell was a bit OTT, but his move to KDE is entirely his choice.
>
>
Doesn't he just keep on switching between Gnome2. Gnome3, XFCE and KDE once every 2 months?

Every now and then makes a comment that things are better, but ultimately is annoyed that right click doesn't do what he wants it to do before going away and doing what he is best at.

> Even if you just manage command line terminals, the evolution will hit you.
>
> It's analogous to the way Windows 7 evolved into Windows 8, but not so revolutionary.
>
>
Looks like a child made it.  I tested Server 2012 in a VM, couldn't find the start menu until a colleague kindly pointed out that I need to put the cursor in a very peculiar place in the bottom left hand side of the screen that is rather difficult to get to if you are accessing via a console window... Well done Microsoft, once again you've reaffirmed all the reasons for dropping you in 2005... and gave me some new ones along the way too. ;)

Regards
-- 
Iain Buclaw