June 10, 2011
On 2011-06-10 13:15, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Robert Clipsham" <robert@octarineparrot.com> wrote in message news:ist1af$tbj$1@digitalmars.com...
> 
> > As for how well they optimize code, dmd has a state of the art optimizer from the 90s, or there abouts - the code it generates is pretty speedy, it has some obvious short comings though (I believe floating point and inlining are lacking, as well as some more modern optimizations).
> 
> I'm pretty sure DMD does inlining. After all, it *does* have an "-inline" commandlne flag. My understanding is that it just doesn't always inline everything it could.

dmd _definitely_ has inlining. It could use some improvement (e.g. functions with lazy parameters can't currently be inlined), but it _does_ have inlining. And dmd's optimizations aren't bad. It's just that they could be better. I expect that we'll see them improve further once the language has stablized more. As much as faster code would be nice, correct code is much more important. And there are still plenty of bugs to iron out in the compiler (though it's definitely improving).

- Jonathan M Davis
June 10, 2011
Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich@gmail.com> wrote in news:mailman.765.1307719908.14074.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com:

> 
> gdc -v2 main.d

Thank you! That option did the trick. Somehow I didn't see that in the user docs in the gdc site

https://bitbucket.org/goshawk/gdc/wiki/UserDocumentation
June 10, 2011
On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Greatwolf <gmane.greatwolf@mamber.net>wrote:

> Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich@gmail.com> wrote in news:mailman.765.1307719908.14074.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com:
>
> >
> > gdc -v2 main.d
>
> Thank you! That option did the trick. Somehow I didn't see that in the user docs in the gdc site
>
>  https://bitbucket.org/goshawk/gdc/wiki/UserDocumentation
>

Building a GDC that does both is still a relatively new development, and I think it hasn't actually been integrated into the main repo yet. Pretty sure whoever's making the Windows binaries (sorry, I should know who that is, but I don't) is patching it before he builds.

June 11, 2011
On 10/06/2011 21:18, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On 2011-06-10 13:15, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Robert Clipsham"<robert@octarineparrot.com>  wrote in message
>> news:ist1af$tbj$1@digitalmars.com...
>>
>>> As for how well they optimize code, dmd has a state of the art optimizer
>>> from the 90s, or there abouts - the code it generates is pretty speedy,
>>> it has some obvious short comings though (I believe floating point and
>>> inlining are lacking, as well as some more modern optimizations).
>>
>> I'm pretty sure DMD does inlining. After all, it *does* have an "-inline"
>> commandlne flag. My understanding is that it just doesn't always inline
>> everything it could.
>
> dmd _definitely_ has inlining. It could use some improvement (e.g. functions
> with lazy parameters can't currently be inlined), but it _does_ have inlining.
> And dmd's optimizations aren't bad. It's just that they could be better. I
> expect that we'll see them improve further once the language has stablized
> more. As much as faster code would be nice, correct code is much more
> important. And there are still plenty of bugs to iron out in the compiler
> (though it's definitely improving).
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Indeed, by lacking I didn't mean lacking the feature, I meant lacking in functionality/ability, there are a lot of things that it could inline but doesn't currently.

-- 
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/
1 2
Next ›   Last »