On 1/3/13 1:53 PM, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-01-03 at 10:26 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
> […]
>> 1. I control the backups
>
> I run my own SMTP and IMAP server, including it's backing up. I like
> control!
>
>> 2. Third parties don't have access to my email history. I don't care what their
>> "privacy policy" says - if they have it, they will use it as they please. You
>> have no way to even discover what they do with it
>
> I run my own SMTP and IMAP server, so no third party.
>
> The NSA have all emails, no matter who else has them.
>
>> 3. I've had email servers controlled by others "go dark", and poof, all email gone
>
> As I run my own SMTP and IMAP server, if it goes dark then either my
> server blew up or my ISP disconnected me. Email not gone due to backup
> strategy :-)
>
>> 4. I *need* my old email. More than once it has saved me from a lawsuit
>
> I run my own SMTP and IMAP server, including it's backing up.  Old email
> for some threads is definitely worth keeping.
>
> I agree with not relying on an email service such as Google, etc.

Whoa. Four instances "I run my own SMTP and IMAP server" in about as many paragraphs. You must feel quite strongly about that...

Andrei "I don't yet run my own SMTP and IMAP server" Alexandrescu
January 03, 2013
On Thursday, January 03, 2013 10:49:08 Walter Bright wrote:
> On 1/3/2013 10:11 AM, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> > On 01/01/2013 03:46 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> > > 1. the dlang.org isn't updated yet.
> > 
> > Is the change log available somewhere else? I want to spread the news but it is not very interesting without knowing what has changed. :)
> 
> http://dlang.org/changelog.html

Oh. Those are links. I was wondering when the data was actually going to be posted. When compared to the previous ones, it looks like there's only headers with no information.

But what about release notes then? There were several notes in the changelog.d file along those lines which aren't being distributed with how the changelog is currently being presented. For instance, the first few items have all been lost:

$(LI std.string: $(RED The implementations of std.string.format and string.sformat have been replaced with improved implementations which conform to writef. In some, rare cases, this will break code. Please see the documentation for std.string.format and std.string.sformat for details.))

$(LI std.string.format now works in CTFE.)

$(LI std.range.hasSlicing has been made stricter in an effort to make it more reliable. opSlice for infinite ranges must now return the result of std.range.take, and any range with slicing which supports $(D $) must now support it with the same semantics as arrays (including supporting subtraction for finite ranges).)

$(LI std.range.isRandomAccessRange now requires hasLength for finite ranges, as it makes no sense for such ranges not to define length and many random-access algorithms rely on length.)

In fact, I think that _every_ item in Phobos' changelog.d was lost. That information needs to be presented to users.

- Jonathan M Davis
January 03, 2013
On Thursday, 3 January 2013 at 19:36:31 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> In fact, I think that _every_ item in Phobos' changelog.d was lost. That information needs to be presented to users.

Agreed – while it is great to finally see the manually maintained list of fixed bugs being replaced with a Bugzilla query, there will always be reasons for well-curated release notes to exist: they are invaluable for discussing high-level changes, drawing attention to (future) breaking changes, …

David
January 03, 2013
Johannes Pfau, el  3 de January a las 19:37 me escribiste:
> Am Thu, 03 Jan 2013 17:43:03 +0100
> schrieb "bearophile" <bearophileHUGS@lycos.com>:
> 
> > deadalnix:
> > 
> > > I still have code broken all over the place.
> > 
> > D2 is getting its corner case problems sorted out and fixed, but this still causes some breakage in user code. As more people use D2, issues are found, discussed and fixed, the breakages will get more and more uncommon.
> > 
> > Bye,
> > bearophile
> 
> I agree. But we should probably start shipping minor releases. For example regression fixes in 2.061 in the next 2 weeks could be merged into the 2.061 branch as well and we could ship a 2.061.1 release with those fixes.

+1

Keepping a branch for each release would make this dead easy.

-- 
Leandro Lucarella (AKA luca)                     http://llucax.com.ar/
----------------------------------------------------------------------
GPG Key: 5F5A8D05 (F8CD F9A7 BF00 5431 4145  104C 949E BFB6 5F5A 8D05)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
El techo de mi cuarto lleno de estrellas
January 03, 2013
On 2013-01-03 19:53, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-01-03 at 10:26 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
> […]
>> 1. I control the backups
>
> I run my own SMTP and IMAP server, including it's backing up. I like
> control!

Next step: becoming your own ISP ?

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
January 03, 2013
On Thu, 2013-01-03 at 14:17 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote: […]
> Whoa. Four instances "I run my own SMTP and IMAP server" in about as many paragraphs. You must feel quite strongly about that...

:-)

Originally I was doing it to make sure I could sys admin Apache/Postfix/Dovecot (previously Courier IMAP) then I realized it was so straightforward there was little point in using a hosting agent.  I had a system crash whilst away a couple of years ago and had to use GMail for a few days. It became apparent that whatever the terms of service say, Google were scanning all emails and using the data to create an advertising profile which was clearly then used to generate income for Google. Clearly this is the quid pro quo for getting free email, but I don't like the price. Worse I used to have one identity with Google Accounts, but having created a Google Mail account, Google switched the primary key to the Google Mail identifier and will not allow that to be changed.  Facebook tried the same trick. This is really annoying and lowers the value of the brands for me. Result, I have my server hardware here and run all the services myself locally.

-- 
Russel. ============================================================================= Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.winder@ekiga.net 41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel@winder.org.uk London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder

January 03, 2013
On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 9:00 PM, David Nadlinger <see@klickverbot.at> wrote:

> On Thursday, 3 January 2013 at 19:36:31 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>
>> In fact, I think that _every_ item in Phobos' changelog.d was lost. That information needs to be presented to users.
>>
>
> Agreed – while it is great to finally see the manually maintained list of fixed bugs being replaced with a Bugzilla query, there will always be reasons for well-curated release notes to exist: they are invaluable for discussing high-level changes, drawing attention to (future) breaking changes, …

For example, UDA... They seem interesting, but I don't remember all the discussions and now that the dust settled somewhat, I'd like to know what's the syntax, how they are inspected.

I used the link Walter (http://dlang.org/changelog.html) provided and all I could find is http://d.puremagic.com/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=9222

That's a bit short... How can someone coming to D today know this language has user-defined attributes?

January 03, 2013
On Thu, 2013-01-03 at 21:08 +0100, Jacob Carlborg wrote: […]
> Next step: becoming your own ISP ?

Define ISP ;-)

-- 
Russel. ============================================================================= Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip: sip:russel.winder@ekiga.net 41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel@winder.org.uk London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder

January 03, 2013
04-Jan-2013 00:12, Russel Winder пишет:
> On Thu, 2013-01-03 at 21:08 +0100, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> […]
>> Next step: becoming your own ISP ?
>
> Define ISP ;-)
>

Then go for autonomous system aka AS <g>

-- 
Dmitry Olshansky