May 03, 2019
On Thu, 2019-05-02 at 09:28 -0700, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On Thu, May 02, 2019 at 05:23:29PM +0100, Russel Winder via
> Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> [...]
> > There are situations where you create a binding in preference to writing something from scratch. cf. gtk, gstreamer, etc. so why not libxml2?
> [...]
> 
> No particular reason, except nobody has taken up the task yet. Would you?

If I were interested in XML processing yes I would. However, just at the moment I am doing things with MPEG-TS and gstreamer-rs. I may investigate the analogue for GstreamerD.

On the other hand there are enough people moaning about std.xml and the
general lack of quality, high performance D support for XML that there
is clearly a lot of people who should be interested in creating a D
binding to libxml2.

-- 
Russel.
===========================================
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077
London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk

May 03, 2019
On Fri, May 03, 2019 at 09:56:56PM +0100, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On Thu, 2019-05-02 at 09:28 -0700, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> > On Thu, May 02, 2019 at 05:23:29PM +0100, Russel Winder via
> > Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> > [...]
> > > There are situations where you create a binding in preference to writing something from scratch. cf. gtk, gstreamer, etc. so why not libxml2?
> > [...]
> > 
> > No particular reason, except nobody has taken up the task yet. Would you?
> 
> If I were interested in XML processing yes I would. However, just at the moment I am doing things with MPEG-TS and gstreamer-rs. I may investigate the analogue for GstreamerD.
> 
> On the other hand there are enough people moaning about std.xml and the general lack of quality, high performance D support for XML that there is clearly a lot of people who should be interested in creating a D binding to libxml2.
[...]

The problem is that while there is no shortage of complaints about XML support in D, there is a great dearth of people actually willing to *do* something about it.

At least Jonathan wrote dxml, which arguably would meet the need in most cases.  So there's that.  But if somebody wants entity references and other similar things, the only recourse would appear to be to wrap libxml2.  Given D's aptitude at interfacing with C, this should be much simpler than writing dxml.  It just needs someone to sit down and *do* it.

T

-- 
Questions are the beginning of intelligence, but the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom.
May 04, 2019
On Friday, 3 May 2019 at 21:07:29 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Fri, May 03, 2019 at 09:56:56PM +0100, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
>> On Thu, 2019-05-02 at 09:28 -0700, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
>> > On Thu, May 02, 2019 at 05:23:29PM +0100, Russel Winder via
>> > Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
>> > [...]
>> > > [...]
>> > [...]
>> > 
>> > No particular reason, except nobody has taken up the task yet. Would you?
>> 
>> If I were interested in XML processing yes I would. However, just at the moment I am doing things with MPEG-TS and gstreamer-rs. I may investigate the analogue for GstreamerD.
>> 
>> On the other hand there are enough people moaning about std.xml and the general lack of quality, high performance D support for XML that there is clearly a lot of people who should be interested in creating a D binding to libxml2.
> [...]
>
> The problem is that while there is no shortage of complaints about XML support in D, there is a great dearth of people actually willing to *do* something about it.
>
> At least Jonathan wrote dxml, which arguably would meet the need in most cases.  So there's that.  But if somebody wants entity references and other similar things, the only recourse would appear to be to wrap libxml2.  Given D's aptitude at interfacing with C, this should be much simpler than writing dxml.  It just needs someone to sit down and *do* it.
>
>
> T

I am trying to port libxml++ to D.
I use dstep to generate the binding to libxml2, and then porting c++ to D.
But I don't have much time, and there are some failures with dstep. I don't have a computer at home, so I must use termux to coding. I hope someone can continue to maintaining the android port of ldc.
May 05, 2019
On Fri, 2019-05-03 at 14:07 -0700, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> 
[…]
> The problem is that while there is no shortage of complaints about XML support in D, there is a great dearth of people actually willing to *do* something about it.

In my case it is because I have no need to deal with XML using D, and I am not in the market for paid work. Those actually doing stuff with XML and D have far fewer excuses.

> At least Jonathan wrote dxml, which arguably would meet the need in most cases.  So there's that.  But if somebody wants entity references and other similar things, the only recourse would appear to be to wrap libxml2.  Given D's aptitude at interfacing with C, this should be much simpler than writing dxml.  It just needs someone to sit down and *do* it.

That people who have the problem can write many lengthy emails on the D lists rather than doing something about creating a D binding to libxml2 is clearly the bulk of the problem.

-- 
Russel.
===========================================
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077
London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk

1 2
Next ›   Last »