July 31, 2012
I'm currently using Mono-D in Monodevelop and it's working really well. Just make sure you install Monodevelop 3.0+
July 31, 2012
On Tuesday, 31 July 2012 at 20:26:06 UTC, Minas wrote:
> I'm currently using Mono-D in Monodevelop and it's working really well. Just make sure you install Monodevelop 3.0+

And intellisense is working really well!
July 31, 2012
On 2012-07-31 19:30, Stuart wrote:

> Of course it's *my* opinion. Whose else opinion would it be?
>
> And that's just the point. I'm *not* using D. I *want* to be using D,
> and I've been *trying* to use D, but I keep hitting strange compiler
> errors and libraries that won't compile (i.e. DFL).
>
> I like D. It's been well-thought-out. But without tools, how can it be
> used? Yeah, I know, many of you don't use IDEs - but tell me this. How
> can I write a GUI? Whether you like GUIs is beside the point:
> Applications need them. There's no point writing a decent-sized program
> without one. And yet (without DFL) you have no library support for them
> whatsoever. To create a window or a button, I must use CreateWindow().
> To handle events, I must use GetMessageA(). To resize controls when the
> parent window changes size, I have to do it all by hand, in code.
>
> DFL and intellisense. Those are the areas this project is lacking.

Have a look at DWT, I think it should work with DMD 2.059.

http://dsource.org/projects/dwt
https://github.com/d-widget-toolkit/dwt

-- 
/Jacob Carlborg
July 31, 2012
On Monday, 30 July 2012 at 22:54:59 UTC, Stuart wrote:
> On Monday, 30 July 2012 at 21:40:35 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>> A ModuleInfo is generated for each compiled module and inserted into its corresponding .obj file. If the linker cannot find it, then it is likely that you need to specify that .obj on the link command.
>
> Ah, it would seem that my problem is with DFL not compiling. Look guys, I'm about ready to give up here. I like the idea of D, but it's like using fucking Linux: Absolutely everything needs to be compiled before you can use it; and nothing will compile because you need to do fifty other goddamn things that aren't mentioned in the readme, so you have to post on dozens of sodding forums for a week hoping someone throws you a bone.
>
I really empathize with you - I went through similar pains when I started using DFL some years ago (along with VisualD). In the end it wasn't too bad, but there are some "catcha"s to be aware of. So I figure the best I can do for you (and to avoid one extremely long message) is to do a blog posting on this - see http://objectmonkey.wordpress.com/2012/07/31/using-dfl-with-visuald/.

Hope it helps!

> All I want is to be able to write a GUI application using phrases like "button1.dock = Fill". Is that so much to ask? Apparently it is.
>
> DFL won't compile. D-IDE doesn't work at all. VisualD crashes all the time. The Eclipse IDE plugin doesn't work either. None of the IDEs have any kind of reliable intellisense. The optional "module" keywords aren't optional. The whole fucking thing's a shambles, just like everything else designed for Linux.
>
> It's really getting on my tits. Even using MFC is easier than this.

Actually, if you are stuck in Windows land and really need to use VS for whatever reason (and don't need portability to other OS's) I found the DFL+VisualD combo to be acceptable for doing GUI development. It isn't as polished as C#/Delphi/C++ Builder as far as all the RAD Form stuff goes, but it is useable - so hang in there!

Ettienne
August 01, 2012
On Tuesday, 31 July 2012 at 19:07:52 UTC, q66 wrote:
> On Tuesday, 31 July 2012 at 17:16:56 UTC, Stuart wrote:
>> Oh, now, that's going too far. Do you think I'm some kind of programming newbie? A college student, perhaps? I have a BSc in Software Engineering, and I've been coding for 16 years. So let's have less of the condescension, hmm?
>
> errr I meant this :)

If I don't point out that I know something, I'm ignorant. And when I do, I'm a showoff. I can't win.

Maybe I should just give up on this "friendly and helpful community" I've heard so much about.
August 01, 2012
On Tuesday, 31 July 2012 at 18:53:43 UTC, Bernard Helyer wrote:
> On Tuesday, 31 July 2012 at 17:16:56 UTC, Stuart wrote:
>>
>> Er, no. Before I used .NET, I used C++ almost exclusively for a number of years. I'm a little out of practice, but I understand the general principles involved.
>
> No you don't, or you wouldn't have asked the question in the first
> place.

Ah, so I'm a liar. Right.

>>> You have a lot to learn and you should know that by now.
>>
>> Oh, now, that's going too far. Do you think I'm some kind of programming newbie? A college student, perhaps? I have a BSc in Software Engineering, and I've been coding for 16 years.
>
> Well jesus, a BSc, aren't you just a fucking genius.
>
>
> Fuck off. Stop wasting our time.

If this is what you guys on here consider a friendly and helpful attitude, I'm not impressed. You in particular, Bernard, can suck my rosy red arse, you rude objectionable scrote.

I notice nobody else at all has objected to my being told to fuck off and stop wasting people's time. I guess it's okay for people to talk to me like that, yes?

I can just fuck off if everyone would rather. After this blatant abuse - which has gone unremarked, it seems - I'm seriously considering leaving.
August 01, 2012
On Tuesday, 31 July 2012 at 19:05:07 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
>
> I've had some success with using DGui, which seems to be loosely based
> on DFL. http://code.google.com/p/dgui/

I can't find any trace of documentation on that site.
August 01, 2012
On Wednesday, August 01, 2012 02:44:55 Stuart wrote:
> On Tuesday, 31 July 2012 at 19:07:52 UTC, q66 wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 31 July 2012 at 17:16:56 UTC, Stuart wrote:
> >> Oh, now, that's going too far. Do you think I'm some kind of programming newbie? A college student, perhaps? I have a BSc in Software Engineering, and I've been coding for 16 years. So let's have less of the condescension, hmm?
> > 
> > errr I meant this :)
> 
> If I don't point out that I know something, I'm ignorant. And when I do, I'm a showoff. I can't win.
> 
> Maybe I should just give up on this "friendly and helpful community" I've heard so much about.

Well, I think that on a whole, the community is friendly and helpful, but that's not always the case, and there _have_ been some rather rude responses in this thread unfortunately.

- Jonathan M Davis
August 01, 2012
On Wednesday, August 01, 2012 02:48:43 Stuart wrote:
> I notice nobody else at all has objected to my being told to fuck off and stop wasting people's time. I guess it's okay for people to talk to me like that, yes?

I don't agree with Bernard at all (and for the most, I don't think that anyone else does either). It's just that I generally ignore nasty comments and trolls. I also suspect that given the length of this thread, there are plenty of people who never read his response, which would at least partially explain why no one has spoken up about it. Bernard has said some good things on this list before, so he's not a complete troll, but he _does_ seem to get very rude, very quickly, which is a detriment to the community as evidenced by your response. And his response in this case was particularly rude. If he doesn't want to help you, he doesn't need to respond. Rudeness helps no one.

- Jonathan M Davis
August 01, 2012
On 7/31/12 8:48 PM, Stuart wrote:
> I notice nobody else at all has objected to my being told to fuck off
> and stop wasting people's time. I guess it's okay for people to talk to
> me like that, yes?

I've also been surprised by Bernard's exaggerated reaction. Your vent was not the most unreasonable out there. This is an unmoderated newsgroup and although personal attacks do happen, they are very rare.

> I can just fuck off if everyone would rather. After this blatant abuse -
> which has gone unremarked, it seems - I'm seriously considering leaving.

Are you threatening to leave an online forum? Now this is exactly the kind of immature thing that won't help any. No, personal attacks are not welcome here, but you needn't have an emotional answer to a head hotter than yours.

Andrei