March 06, 2015
On Friday, 6 March 2015 at 06:02:17 UTC, Taylor Hillegeist wrote:
> So I have played with a few GUI libraries with bindings available through D. Personally I find that it seems like there is alot of effort being put forth on GUI projects.
>
For consideration/inspiration/whatever, Hybrid was an interesting toolkit from the D1 days that I thought had a lot of potential: http://h3.gd/code/hybrid/wiki/

I'm still sad Tomasz went back to C++ land. :(

-Wyatt
March 06, 2015
On Friday, 6 March 2015 at 14:22:21 UTC, Paulo  Pinto wrote:
> Last one was an upload progress bar with status with amount of uploaded data for files dragged into the browser, working the same way across all required browsers.

Meaning IE9? You can do it, by reporting back from the server (well, not on GAE, since uploads are dealt with by a separate system).

From IE11 and up the support for modern web tech is quite impressive IMO.

> They have Android for that.

That's only one platform. They need to make sure that people are happy to use web apps on iOS, OS-X and Windows too.
March 06, 2015
On Friday, 6 March 2015 at 14:43:20 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> On Friday, 6 March 2015 at 14:22:21 UTC, Paulo  Pinto wrote:
>> Last one was an upload progress bar with status with amount of uploaded data for files dragged into the browser, working the same way across all required browsers.
>
> Meaning IE9? You can do it, by reporting back from the server (well, not on GAE, since uploads are dealt with by a separate system).

IE 8, tablets and smartphones with multiple browser versions.

>
> From IE11 and up the support for modern web tech is quite impressive IMO.
>
>> They have Android for that.
>
> That's only one platform. They need to make sure that people are happy to use web apps on iOS, OS-X and Windows too.

Yep, that is why Inbox was made with J2ObjC.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/11/how-google-inbox-shares-70-of-its-code-across-android-ios-and-the-web/
March 06, 2015
On Friday, 6 March 2015 at 14:30:20 UTC, Wyatt wrote:
> On Friday, 6 March 2015 at 06:02:17 UTC, Taylor Hillegeist wrote:
>> So I have played with a few GUI libraries with bindings available through D. Personally I find that it seems like there is alot of effort being put forth on GUI projects.
>>
> For consideration/inspiration/whatever, Hybrid was an interesting toolkit from the D1 days that I thought had a lot of potential: http://h3.gd/code/hybrid/wiki/
>
> I'm still sad Tomasz went back to C++ land. :(
>
> -Wyatt

True. True.
March 06, 2015
On Friday, 6 March 2015 at 13:22:47 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> On Friday, 6 March 2015 at 12:29:46 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> to!). Frankly speaking, I hate JS and wish there was a way to get rid of it (please, don't try to convince me that JS is somehow good - it isn't - and that there is jquery and blah dee blah. Please don't.).
>
> It isn't good, but once you figured out what to avoid, you can use a subset of it pretty well. Like C++ and D ;^)
>
> It feels weird to type "Object.create(null)" to get a dictionary-like object, but it will probably be fixed in ECMAScript 6?
>
>> worry about any platform specific quirks or pitfalls. Something that is only a thin layer that is agnostic to the logic, the data processing that goes on in the app. Unfortunately, the only way to do this today is HTML5+JS (it's the JS bit that annoys me).
>
> Yeah, but I think if you only do the GUI (the View part of MVC) in JS using shadow dom it should be quite ok. And nothing should prevent one from generating the JS bindings from D to JS/HTML5 from D code.

Yeah, has any further work been done on JS-D bindings? I remember there have been little projects here and there ...

>> Using technologies (other than HTML5) that interface to native widgets, is not maintainable, you're always one step behind.
>
> I agree. The alternative is to develop only for a few markets (e.g. iOS/Cocoa). People are also quite used to the common UI paradigms used on the web by now, so "learnability" is not the same as in the 80s/90s where regular users would be terribly confused when encountering innovative UI components. Text books on usability probably lags a bit behind there...

True. Users are more willing to use different UIs these days, I guess because most homepages are little apps with a UI. Although there are still a few Windows-dinosaurs who go mental, if they don't find the "Start" menu in the left corner at the bottom of the screen. :)

I like the freedom HTML5 gives you (although CSS can be quite annoying sometimes). It's like a blank page. Native framworks are too prescriptive.

> Qt et al might work in markets where there is little competition (low volume narrow markets), but I have trouble seeing a future for it without a major player backing it 100% to gain market share.

That's why I'm still sceptical of it. Whether it's worth the trouble.

> I believe Google depends on HTML5 domination to keep Apple/Microsoft from getting "too big".

When introducing the iPad, Apple put its money on HTML5/JS to fight against Flash. I think everything is going in the direction of HTML5, which is understandable given the wide support it has and the myriad of different platforms. And Google, being an internet company, is of course a big proponent of HTML-based technologies.

>> technologies win in this respect. And users don't care what's under the hood. They simply ask "Can I download an app?". If they can't, they are very annoyed.
>
> Yep, and businesses ask for features they wanted last week. So time to market matters ("can you deliver this new feature within 2-4 weeks?").

And the app is just a HTML widget, ha! But who cares once the user is happy.
March 06, 2015
On Friday, 6 March 2015 at 12:46:10 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> On Friday, 6 March 2015 at 12:29:46 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> To cut a long story short, ideals and pragmatism are at loggerheads here, but at the end of the day, you have to get your apps out there for as many people and as many platforms as possible, with the least effort possible. So HTML5 and related technologies win in this respect.
>
> A web UI like that of fossil? Fossil doesn't use JS in its UI.

But Fossil is not yet usable, is it?
March 06, 2015
On Friday, 6 March 2015 at 16:23:34 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> A web UI like that of fossil? Fossil doesn't use JS in its UI.
>
> But Fossil is not yet usable, is it?

Why not? You can try it right now: http://www.fossil-scm.org/
March 06, 2015
On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 16:23:33 +0000, Chris wrote:

> On Friday, 6 March 2015 at 12:46:10 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
>> On Friday, 6 March 2015 at 12:29:46 UTC, Chris wrote:
>>> To cut a long story short, ideals and pragmatism are at loggerheads here, but at the end of the day, you have to get your apps out there for as many people and as many platforms as possible, with the least effort possible. So HTML5 and related technologies win in this respect.
>>
>> A web UI like that of fossil? Fossil doesn't use JS in its UI.
> 
> But Fossil is not yet usable, is it?

it's completely usable. and it is used to develop fossil itself and sqlite.

March 06, 2015
On Friday, 6 March 2015 at 16:57:01 UTC, ketmar wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 16:23:33 +0000, Chris wrote:
>
>> On Friday, 6 March 2015 at 12:46:10 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
>>> On Friday, 6 March 2015 at 12:29:46 UTC, Chris wrote:
>>>> To cut a long story short, ideals and pragmatism are at loggerheads
>>>> here, but at the end of the day, you have to get your apps out there
>>>> for as many people and as many platforms as possible, with the least
>>>> effort possible. So HTML5 and related technologies win in this
>>>> respect.
>>>
>>> A web UI like that of fossil? Fossil doesn't use JS in its UI.
>> 
>> But Fossil is not yet usable, is it?
>
> it's completely usable. and it is used to develop fossil itself and
> sqlite.

I saw a comment saying "project not finished, no downloads" or something like this. But now I've found the right link.

I've just downloaded and compiled it. I will play around with it later, when I have time. Any tips?
March 06, 2015
On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 16:59:18 +0000, Chris wrote:

>>>> A web UI like that of fossil? Fossil doesn't use JS in its UI.
>>> 
>>> But Fossil is not yet usable, is it?
>>
>> it's completely usable. and it is used to develop fossil itself and sqlite.
> 
> I saw a comment saying "project not finished, no downloads" or something like this. But now I've found the right link.
> 
> I've just downloaded and compiled it. I will play around with it later, when I have time. Any tips?

i'm not a fossil user myself, i've just played with it for some (little) time. but for me it feels like any other dvcs, just simplier. and i like it's feature to "pack" repository in single file. yet it may be somewhat unusual to "unpack" repository prior to work with it.