callMe();
}

[callme.d]
class Foo {
   this() {
   }
}

extern (C) void callMe() {
   Foo s = new Foo();		// This causes the problem.
}

I'm compiling and linking like this:
gcc -c ctest.c
gdc -c callme.d
gdc -o ctest callme.o ctest.o

Running ctest causes a 'Bus error'.  After playing with it for a while, instantiating Foo seems to be the problem.  If I comment out that line it compiles and runs just fine.  Is this behavior expected?  Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

I'm using gdc 1f with gcc 3.4.0 20040317 on Mac OS 10.3.3.

P.S.  I wasn't sure if this should have gone in the bugs group, since I don't know if it affects dmd or not.  I also am not sure if this is just a mistake on my part or a real bug.  If I did put this in the wrong group, I apologize and please let me know for future reference.  Thanks.

May 19, 2004
I think the problem is this: The program is starting from the C main in ctest.c and garbage collector is not being initialized.

The Phobos library contains a C 'main' function which does initialization and calls the D 'main' function (really '_Dmain').

Do you absolutely need the main function to be in C?

David

Michael wrote:
> I'm trying to compile this code on OS X Panther with gdc:
> 
> [ctest.c]
> #include <stdio.h>
> 
> extern void callMe();
> 
> int main() {
>     callMe();
> }
> 
> [callme.d]
> class Foo {
>    this() {
>    }
> }
> 
> extern (C) void callMe() {
>    Foo s = new Foo();        // This causes the problem.
> }
> 
> I'm compiling and linking like this:
> gcc -c ctest.c
> gdc -c callme.d
> gdc -o ctest callme.o ctest.o
> 
> Running ctest causes a 'Bus error'.  After playing with it for a while, instantiating Foo seems to be the problem.  If I comment out that line it compiles and runs just fine.  Is this behavior expected?  Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?
> 
> I'm using gdc 1f with gcc 3.4.0 20040317 on Mac OS 10.3.3.
> 
> P.S.  I wasn't sure if this should have gone in the bugs group, since I don't know if it affects dmd or not.  I also am not sure if this is just a mistake on my part or a real bug.  If I did put this in the wrong group, I apologize and please let me know for future reference.  Thanks.
> 

May 19, 2004
Thanks, I figured that may be the problem.  I'm actually wondering because SDL on OS X uses an objective C stub to initialize the program then call your SDL_main function.  I have seen at least one SDL program written in D running on OS X(but without source), so there must be a way.  Do I have to use all global functions?  Things seem to work if I avoid classes, but I would prefer not to use that approach as it seems likely I might run into other problems down the road.  Are there any work arounds?  Thanks.

On 2004-05-19 10:23:48 -0500, David Friedman <d3rdclsmail@earthlink.net> said:

> I think the problem is this: The program is starting from the C main in ctest.c and garbage collector is not being initialized.
> 
> The Phobos library contains a C 'main' function which does initialization and calls the D 'main' function (really '_Dmain').
> 
> Do you absolutely need the main function to be in C?
> 
> David
> 
> Michael wrote:
>> I'm trying to compile this code on OS X Panther with gdc:
>> 
>> [ctest.c]
>> #include <stdio.h>
>> 
>> extern void callMe();
>> 
>> int main() {
>>     callMe();
>> }
>> 
>> [callme.d]
>> class Foo {
>>    this() {
>>    }
>> }
>> 
>> extern (C) void callMe() {
>>    Foo s = new Foo();        // This causes the problem.
>> }
>> 
>> I'm compiling and linking like this:
>> gcc -c ctest.c
>> gdc -c callme.d
>> gdc -o ctest callme.o ctest.o
>> 
>> Running ctest causes a 'Bus error'.  After playing with it for a while, instantiating Foo seems to be the problem.  If I comment out that line it compiles and runs just fine.  Is this behavior expected?  Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?
>> 
>> I'm using gdc 1f with gcc 3.4.0 20040317 on Mac OS 10.3.3.
>> 
>> P.S.  I wasn't sure if this should have gone in the bugs group, since I don't know if it affects dmd or not.  I also am not sure if this is just a mistake on my part or a real bug.  If I did put this in the wrong group, I apologize and please let me know for future reference.  Thanks.

May 19, 2004
I ran into this problem too.  What I do now is rename the 'main' in the SDL stub.  Because each project has its own copy of the stub as a source file, this is very clean.  The call sequence becomes...

normal D main
  -> renamed SDL stub main
    -> SDL_main (written as "extern(C) SDL_main(int,char*) {....}" in D)

My old solution was to build another version Phobos that uses '_d_rtl_start' as an entry point instead of 'main'.  I then had the SDL_main call that.  The gdc Makefile for Phobos still has this libphobosnm.a, but needs shinichiro's fix.
(http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D.gnu/626)

Neither or these is optimal.  I have been thinking that Phobos initialization and the D 'main' function should be separated.  This would be needed for shared libraries too.

David

Michael wrote:
> Thanks, I figured that may be the problem.  I'm actually wondering because SDL on OS X uses an objective C stub to initialize the program then call your SDL_main function.  I have seen at least one SDL program written in D running on OS X(but without source), so there must be a way.  Do I have to use all global functions?  Things seem to work if I avoid classes, but I would prefer not to use that approach as it seems likely I might run into other problems down the road.  Are there any work arounds?  Thanks.
> 
> On 2004-05-19 10:23:48 -0500, David Friedman <d3rdclsmail@earthlink.net> said:
> 
>> I think the problem is this: The program is starting from the C main in ctest.c and garbage collector is not being initialized.
>>
>> The Phobos library contains a C 'main' function which does initialization and calls the D 'main' function (really '_Dmain').
>>
>> Do you absolutely need the main function to be in C?
>>
>> David
>>
>> Michael wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to compile this code on OS X Panther with gdc:
>>>
>>> [ctest.c]
>>> #include <stdio.h>
>>>
>>> extern void callMe();
>>>
>>> int main() {
>>>     callMe();
>>> }
>>>
>>> [callme.d]
>>> class Foo {
>>>    this() {
>>>    }
>>> }
>>>
>>> extern (C) void callMe() {
>>>    Foo s = new Foo();        // This causes the problem.
>>> }
>>>
>>> I'm compiling and linking like this:
>>> gcc -c ctest.c
>>> gdc -c callme.d
>>> gdc -o ctest callme.o ctest.o
>>>
>>> Running ctest causes a 'Bus error'.  After playing with it for a while, instantiating Foo seems to be the problem.  If I comment out that line it compiles and runs just fine.  Is this behavior expected?  Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?
>>>
>>> I'm using gdc 1f with gcc 3.4.0 20040317 on Mac OS 10.3.3.
>>>
>>> P.S.  I wasn't sure if this should have gone in the bugs group, since I don't know if it affects dmd or not.  I also am not sure if this is just a mistake on my part or a real bug.  If I did put this in the wrong group, I apologize and please let me know for future reference.  Thanks.
> 
> 
> 

May 20, 2004
Thank you.  That worked perfectly.  I really appreciate you taking the time to respond and the work you put into gdc.

In article <c8gdn5$2gm$1@digitaldaemon.com>,
 David Friedman <d3rdclsmail@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I ran into this problem too.  What I do now is rename the 'main' in the SDL stub.  Because each project has its own copy of the stub as a source file, this is very clean.  The call sequence becomes...
> 
> normal D main
>    -> renamed SDL stub main
>      -> SDL_main (written as "extern(C) SDL_main(int,char*) {....}" in D)
> 
> My old solution was to build another version Phobos that uses '_d_rtl_start' as an entry point instead of 'main'.  I then had the SDL_main call that.  The gdc Makefile for Phobos still has this libphobosnm.a, but needs shinichiro's fix. (http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D.gnu/626)
> 
> Neither or these is optimal.  I have been thinking that Phobos initialization and the D 'main' function should be separated.  This would be needed for shared libraries too.
> 
> David
> 
> Michael wrote:
> > Thanks, I figured that may be the problem.  I'm actually wondering because SDL on OS X uses an objective C stub to initialize the program then call your SDL_main function.  I have seen at least one SDL program written in D running on OS X(but without source), so there must be a way.  Do I have to use all global functions?  Things seem to work if I avoid classes, but I would prefer not to use that approach as it seems likely I might run into other problems down the road.  Are there any work arounds?  Thanks.
> > 
> > On 2004-05-19 10:23:48 -0500, David Friedman <d3rdclsmail@earthlink.net> said:
> > 
> >> I think the problem is this: The program is starting from the C main in ctest.c and garbage collector is not being initialized.
> >>
> >> The Phobos library contains a C 'main' function which does initialization and calls the D 'main' function (really '_Dmain').
> >>
> >> Do you absolutely need the main function to be in C?
> >>
> >> David
> >>
> >> Michael wrote:
> >>
> >>> I'm trying to compile this code on OS X Panther with gdc:
> >>>
> >>> [ctest.c]
> >>> #include <stdio.h>
> >>>
> >>> extern void callMe();
> >>>
> >>> int main() {
> >>>     callMe();
> >>> }
> >>>
> >>> [callme.d]
> >>> class Foo {
> >>>    this() {
> >>>    }
> >>> }
> >>>
> >>> extern (C) void callMe() {
> >>>    Foo s = new Foo();        // This causes the problem.
> >>> }
> >>>
> >>> I'm compiling and linking like this:
> >>> gcc -c ctest.c
> >>> gdc -c callme.d
> >>> gdc -o ctest callme.o ctest.o
> >>>
> >>> Running ctest causes a 'Bus error'.  After playing with it for a while, instantiating Foo seems to be the problem.  If I comment out that line it compiles and runs just fine.  Is this behavior expected?  Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?
> >>>
> >>> I'm using gdc 1f with gcc 3.4.0 20040317 on Mac OS 10.3.3.
> >>>
> >>> P.S.  I wasn't sure if this should have gone in the bugs group, since I don't know if it affects dmd or not.  I also am not sure if this is just a mistake on my part or a real bug.  If I did put this in the wrong group, I apologize and please let me know for future reference.  Thanks.
> > 
> > 
> >