Jan 17, 2018
Johan Engelen
Jan 20, 2018
thinwybk
Jan 19, 2018
ashit axar
July 29, 2017
Hi all,
  Are there any robot folks out here that are working with ROS and would be able to work on creating a D client library for it?

ROS is used a lot at our university and in robot research in general, and most people use the C++ client (the main one, next to Python). In arguing for teaching D at our university, it would help a lot if students could use D with ROS.

Cheers,
  Johan

(fyi: I'm an assistent prof Robotics and Mechatronics and LDC developer)
July 30, 2017
On 07/29/2017 03:21 AM, Johan Engelen wrote:
> Hi all,
>   Are there any robot folks out here that are working with ROS and would
> be able to work on creating a D client library for it?
>
> ROS is used a lot at our university and in robot research in general,
> and most people use the C++ client (the main one, next to Python). In
> arguing for teaching D at our university, it would help a lot if
> students could use D with ROS.
>
> Cheers,
>   Johan
>
> (fyi: I'm an assistent prof Robotics and Mechatronics and LDC developer)

Looks like you will have to make a robot to have it write the D client for ROS. :o)

Ali

July 31, 2017
On Saturday, 29 July 2017 at 10:21:32 UTC, Johan Engelen wrote:
> Hi all,
>   Are there any robot folks out here that are working with ROS and would be able to work on creating a D client library for it?
>
> ROS is used a lot at our university and in robot research in general, and most people use the C++ client (the main one, next to Python). In arguing for teaching D at our university, it would help a lot if students could use D with ROS.
>
> Cheers,
>   Johan
>

Mike as been doing some foundation work non ARM Cortex ...microcontrollers... His work is closest I know of.
July 31, 2017
On Monday, 31 July 2017 at 21:41:47 UTC, aberba wrote:
> On Saturday, 29 July 2017 at 10:21:32 UTC, Johan Engelen wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>   Are there any robot folks out here that are working with ROS and would be able to work on creating a D client library for it?
>
> Mike as been doing some foundation work non ARM Cortex ...microcontrollers... His work is closest I know of.

I know of Mike's work, but ROS is not only for embedded platforms. (in fact, I think the majority of people run ROS on unconstrained systems with Linux available)

November 22, 2017
On Saturday, 29 July 2017 at 10:21:32 UTC, Johan Engelen wrote:
> Hi all,
>   Are there any robot folks out here that are working with ROS and would be able to work on creating a D client library for it?
>
> ROS is used a lot at our university and in robot research in general, and most people use the C++ client (the main one, next to Python). In arguing for teaching D at our university, it would help a lot if students could use D with ROS.
>
> Cheers,
>   Johan
>

Hi Johan,

a bit late... yes, I am working in robotics and I would be interrested in helping out. I know that other people visit ROS and D meetups in munich and could be interrested as well.

Cheers,
Florian
November 22, 2017
On Wednesday, 22 November 2017 at 19:02:17 UTC, thinwybk wrote:
> On Saturday, 29 July 2017 at 10:21:32 UTC, Johan Engelen wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>   Are there any robot folks out here that are working with ROS and would be able to work on creating a D client library for it?
>>
>> ROS is used a lot at our university and in robot research in general, and most people use the C++ client (the main one, next to Python). In arguing for teaching D at our university, it would help a lot if students could use D with ROS.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>   Johan
>>
>> (fyi: I'm an assistent prof Robotics and Mechatronics and LDC developer)
>
> Hi Johan,
>
> a bit late... yes, I am working in robotics and I would be interrested in helping out. I know that other people visit ROS and D meetups in munich and could be interrested as well.
>
> Cheers,
> Florian

Have you considered to post on discourse.ros.org (client libraries) https://discourse.ros.org/c/client-libraries as well? You would propably get more response there.
December 17, 2017
On Wednesday, 22 November 2017 at 22:16:12 UTC, thinwybk wrote:
> On Wednesday, 22 November 2017 at 19:02:17 UTC, thinwybk wrote:
>> On Saturday, 29 July 2017 at 10:21:32 UTC, Johan Engelen wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>   Are there any robot folks out here that are working with ROS and would be able to work on creating a D client library for it?
>>
>>
>> a bit late... yes, I am working in robotics and I would be interrested in helping out. I know that other people visit ROS and D meetups in munich and could be interrested as well.
>>
>
> Have you considered to post on discourse.ros.org (client libraries) https://discourse.ros.org/c/client-libraries as well? You would propably get more response there.

Andrei thought it could be a good GSoC project.
It may take a bit of effort to define the project such that the D community at large can benefit from it. I'm thinking about possible additions to dub/other tool to support a more complex build setup like ROS is using; but perhaps it is not needed with D's more advanced capabilities in comparison to C++.

Shall we schedule a time for an online chat/discussion (slack, gitter, ...) to see how to proceed?  (and discuss tech things like ROS1 or ROS2, step-plan and minimum requirements, ...)

cheers,
  Johan

December 19, 2017
On Sunday, 17 December 2017 at 14:16:14 UTC, Johan Engelen wrote:
> On Wednesday, 22 November 2017 at 22:16:12 UTC, thinwybk wrote:
>
> Andrei thought it could be a good GSoC project.
> It may take a bit of effort to define the project such that the D community at large can benefit from it. I'm thinking about possible additions to dub/other tool to support a more complex build setup like ROS is using; but perhaps it is not needed with D's more advanced capabilities in comparison to C++.

That sounds great. I believe that ROS2 could be a door opener for D into the technical domain (beginning in robotics and automotive). ROS2 is considered a real alternative in industry and automotive. (In comparison to ROS1 which needs heavy modification to be suitable for these domains.) A lot of C++ programmers could discover D as an easier to use, more productive and more reliable programming language to implement components for these systems. D as system programming language has the potential to address low to mid level needs like high-performance code (ROS C++ client) as well as high level needs like interfacing to machine learning frameworks (ROS Python client).

> Shall we schedule a time for an online chat/discussion (slack, gitter, ...) to see how to proceed?  (and discuss tech things like ROS1 or ROS2, step-plan and minimum requirements, ...)
>
> cheers,
>   Johan

Unfortunately from a technological point of view I am not the right person to consider I guess :) My background is embedded software with strong focus on methodology and C/C++ design in a testing context. Right now I am implementing way more Python than C++. I am working with ROS1 since half a year or so. It would be more valuable to have someone from OSRF (https://www.osrfoundation.org/) and/or ROS-Industrial (http://rosindustrial.org/) involved. If you don't have contacts to ROS-I already: I could introduce you to some ROS-I project managers which have very strong technical background in ROS. I would love to join the discussion.
January 07, 2018
On Sunday, 17 December 2017 at 14:16:14 UTC, Johan Engelen wrote:
> On Wednesday, 22 November 2017 at 22:16:12 UTC, thinwybk wrote:
>
> Andrei thought it could be a good GSoC project.
> It may take a bit of effort to define the project such that the D community at large can benefit from it. I'm thinking about possible additions to dub/other tool to support a more complex build setup like ROS is using; but perhaps it is not needed with D's more advanced capabilities in comparison to C++.

Could be already too late for GSoC project w.r.t. timeline https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline I guess. However despite of the GSoC project a D client library could be very valuable to the D community.

> Shall we schedule a time for an online chat/discussion (slack, gitter, ...) to see how to proceed?  (and discuss tech things like ROS1 or ROS2, step-plan and minimum requirements, ...)
>
> cheers,
>   Johan

For everyone interested in the technological stuff refer to a short summary in this repository: https://github.com/fkromer/ros2-d-client-library

Cheers,
Florian
January 17, 2018
On Sunday, 7 January 2018 at 15:40:16 UTC, thinwybk wrote:
>
> For everyone interested in the technological stuff refer to a short summary in this repository: https://github.com/fkromer/ros2-d-client-library

This is not too late for a GSoC project. We can add it as an idea to the GSoC page, with a link to your summary (great, thanks!).

Cheers,
   Johan

« First   ‹ Prev
1 2