Regan Heath
Oct 13, 2007
Manfred Nowak
Oct 13, 2007
Bill Baxter
Oct 14, 2007
Manfred Nowak
October 11, 2007
It's so annoying. I'm always running into difficulties with this. The times a function has been hidden when I didn't want it hidden outnumber the reverse case 20 to 1 or more. Especially with templates and mixins. I'm sure someone will say it it's better this way but I don't buy it. I really would prefer functions to never be hidden unless specifically requested. What can be done about this?

October 11, 2007
bc wrote:
> It's so annoying. I'm always running into difficulties with this. The times a function has been hidden when I didn't want it hidden outnumber the reverse case 20 to 1 or more. Especially with templates and mixins. I'm sure someone will say it it's better this way but I don't buy it. I really would prefer functions to never be hidden unless specifically requested. What can be done about this?

The problem is larger than personal preference, have a search through these groups and the archives on digitalmars.com/d.

October 12, 2007
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 18:51:25 +0100, Regan Heath <regan@netmail.co.nz> wrote:

> bc wrote:
>> It's so annoying. I'm always running into difficulties with this. The times a function has been hidden when I didn't want it hidden outnumber the reverse case 20 to 1 or more. Especially with templates and mixins. I'm sure someone will say it it's better this way but I don't buy it. I really would prefer functions to never be hidden unless specifically requested. What can be done about this?
>
> The problem is larger than personal preference, have a search through these groups and the archives on digitalmars.com/d.
>
>
Thanks for the pointer. Sorry if I was rude BTW. I'd been messing around
trying to make a rectangular array class in C++, that must have an
opIndex with variable number of arguments up to the number of dimensions,
got p***ed off with that, thought 'i bet this is easier in D' and found
that it wasn't.
October 12, 2007
bc wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 18:51:25 +0100, Regan Heath <regan@netmail.co.nz> wrote:
> 
>> bc wrote:
>>> It's so annoying. I'm always running into difficulties with this. The times a function has been hidden when I didn't want it hidden outnumber the reverse case 20 to 1 or more. Especially with templates and mixins. I'm sure someone will say it it's better this way but I don't buy it. I really would prefer functions to never be hidden unless specifically requested. What can be done about this?
>>
>> The problem is larger than personal preference, have a search through these groups and the archives on digitalmars.com/d.
>>
>>
> Thanks for the pointer. Sorry if I was rude BTW. I'd been messing around
> trying to make a rectangular array class in C++, that must have an
> opIndex with variable number of arguments up to the number of dimensions,
> got p***ed off with that, thought 'i bet this is easier in D' and found
> that it wasn't.

With a string mixin and CTFE you should be able to generate the required functions on the fly.

Take a look at the code here (first one on the page should do it):
http://www.dsource.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3170&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It'll take some wading through, but if you're patient you should be able to figure out how to turn that into code that generates N different opIndex functions.

--bb
October 12, 2007
bc wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 18:51:25 +0100, Regan Heath <regan@netmail.co.nz> wrote:
> 
>> bc wrote:
>>> It's so annoying. I'm always running into difficulties with this. The times a function has been hidden when I didn't want it hidden outnumber the reverse case 20 to 1 or more. Especially with templates and mixins. I'm sure someone will say it it's better this way but I don't buy it. I really would prefer functions to never be hidden unless specifically requested. What can be done about this?
>>
>> The problem is larger than personal preference, have a search through these groups and the archives on digitalmars.com/d.
>>
>>
> Thanks for the pointer. Sorry if I was rude BTW. 

It wasn't that, it's just that this topic comes up every now and again and it also happens to be a hard one to explain so it's better to re-use the old conversations if possible.

> I'd been messing around
> trying to make a rectangular array class in C++, that must have an
> opIndex with variable number of arguments up to the number of dimensions,
> got p***ed off with that, thought 'i bet this is easier in D' and found
> that it wasn't.

Looks like Bill is sorting you out :)

Regan
October 13, 2007
bc wrote

> must have an opIndex with variable number of arguments up to the number of dimensions

What's wrong with
  void opIndex(size_t[] arg ...)

-manfred

October 13, 2007
Manfred Nowak wrote:
> bc wrote
> 
>> must have an opIndex with variable number of arguments up to the
>> number of dimensions
> 
> What's wrong with
>   void opIndex(size_t[] arg ...)
> 
> -manfred  
> 

*) No compile-time check on exceeding the valid number of arguments.
*) the return type shouldn't be "void" but an N-nargs (N minus args.length) dimensional array.  Since N is a template parameter, each function must return a different type.

--bb

October 14, 2007
Bill Baxter wrote

> *) No compile-time check on exceeding the valid number of arguments. *) the return type shouldn't be "void" but an N-nargs (N minus args.length) dimensional array.  Since N is a template parameter, each function must return a different type.

thx
-manfred