Yigal Chripun
Oct 01, 2009
Jeremie Pelletier
Oct 02, 2009
Justin
Sep 30, 2009
Max Samukha
September 30, 2009
If nonnull class references are added to D, then it can be good to add nonnull struct pointers too, to avoid similar bugs.

(In C# for a struct you define a "default" one, that gets used by the compiler as the default one when the struct reference is null).

Bye,
bearophile
September 30, 2009
On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 08:53:57 -0400, bearophile <bearophileHUGS@lycos.com> wrote:

>If nonnull class references are added to D, then it can be good to add nonnull struct pointers too, to avoid similar bugs.
>
>(In C# for a struct you define a "default" one, that gets used by the compiler as the default one when the struct reference is null).
>
>Bye,
>bearophile

Don't get confused by 'new' in struct initializers. Structs in C# are value types. You can box them, use pointers to them in 'unsafe' context but you can't directly allocate them on heap. So there is no nullable references to structs. When you do:

struct S
{
  public int x;
}

S s = new S(); // x is default initialized to 0

the struct is still allocated on stack and passed by value.

S s;
s.x = 1; //error, struct is not initialized

BTW, C# does have null-initialization problems regardless of flow control. One example:

struct S
{
   public Object obj;
}

S s = new S();
s.obj.ToString(); // null-reference exception;
September 30, 2009
On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 18:26:20 +0300, Max Samukha <spambox@d-coding.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 08:53:57 -0400, bearophile <bearophileHUGS@lycos.com> wrote:
>
>>If nonnull class references are added to D, then it can be good to add nonnull struct pointers too, to avoid similar bugs.
>>
>>(In C# for a struct you define a "default" one, that gets used by the compiler as the default one when the struct reference is null).
>>
>>Bye,
>>bearophile
>
>Don't get confused by 'new' in struct initializers. Structs in C# are value types. You can box them, use pointers to them in 'unsafe' context but you can't directly allocate them on heap. So there is no nullable references to structs. When you do:
>
>struct S
>{
>  public int x;
>}
>
>S s = new S(); // x is default initialized to 0

Ok. I have rechecked this one and it appears that you don't have to initialize a struct if it is a POD (Microsoft names such structs 'unmanaged', of course) or you don't access fields that are references. For example:

struct S
{
   public int x;
   public Object obj;
}

S s;
s.x = 1; // ok,  we can get away without initialization for now
s.obj.ToString(); // compile-time error
September 30, 2009
Max Samukha:

> Don't get confused by 'new' in struct initializers. Structs in C# are value types.

Yes, you are right.

But in D structs can be allocated on the heap too, so I think having optional nonnull struct pointers can be useful. The syntax and usage is similar to normal struct pointers.

Bye,
bearophile
September 30, 2009
On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 18:26:20 +0300, Max Samukha <spambox@d-coding.com> wrote:

>
>BTW, C# does have null-initialization problems regardless of flow control.

I'll probably never learn to proof-read my opuses. It should have been "flow analysis".
September 30, 2009
On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 12:44 PM, bearophile <bearophileHUGS@lycos.com> wrote:
> Max Samukha:
>
>> Don't get confused by 'new' in struct initializers. Structs in C# are value types.
>
> Yes, you are right.
>
> But in D structs can be allocated on the heap too, so I think having optional nonnull struct pointers can be useful. The syntax and usage is similar to normal struct pointers.

I don't know why a struct pointer would be different than any other pointer. That is, you'd have S* and S*? as well as int* and int*?.
September 30, 2009
On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 23:08:40 +0400, Jarrett Billingsley <jarrett.billingsley@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 12:44 PM, bearophile <bearophileHUGS@lycos.com> wrote:
>> Max Samukha:
>>
>>> Don't get confused by 'new' in struct initializers. Structs in C# are
>>> value types.
>>
>> Yes, you are right.
>>
>> But in D structs can be allocated on the heap too, so I think having optional nonnull struct pointers can be useful. The syntax and usage is similar to normal struct pointers.
>
> I don't know why a struct pointer would be different than any other
> pointer. That is, you'd have S* and S*? as well as int* and int*?.

Note that C stdlib (and other libraries/bindings) will need to be updated to reflect changes, e.g.

extern(C) void*? malloc(size_t size); // may return null!

which is great because it will provide additional safety. I've seen quite a lot of code that don't test returned value against null (which is a mistake, I believe).
September 30, 2009
On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 3:30 PM, Denis Koroskin <2korden@gmail.com> wrote:

> Note that C stdlib (and other libraries/bindings) will need to be updated to
> reflect changes, e.g.
>
> extern(C) void*? malloc(size_t size); // may return null!
>
> which is great because it will provide additional safety. I've seen quite a lot of code that don't test returned value against null (which is a mistake, I believe).

Wonderful. Don't you love self-documenting code that forces you to use it correctly? :P
October 01, 2009
On 30/09/2009 18:44, bearophile wrote:
> Max Samukha:
>
>> Don't get confused by 'new' in struct initializers. Structs in C# are
>> value types.
>
> Yes, you are right.
>
> But in D structs can be allocated on the heap too, so I think having optional nonnull struct pointers can be useful. The syntax and usage is similar to normal struct pointers.
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

why not just use references with structs?

struct S { ... }
S* sPtr = new S;
S sRef = *sPtr; // non-null ref

there is no need for non-null pointers.
October 01, 2009
Yigal Chripun wrote:
> On 30/09/2009 18:44, bearophile wrote:
>> Max Samukha:
>>
>>> Don't get confused by 'new' in struct initializers. Structs in C# are
>>> value types.
>>
>> Yes, you are right.
>>
>> But in D structs can be allocated on the heap too, so I think having optional nonnull struct pointers can be useful. The syntax and usage is similar to normal struct pointers.
>>
>> Bye,
>> bearophile
> 
> why not just use references with structs?
> 
> struct S { ... }
> S* sPtr = new S;
> S sRef = *sPtr; // non-null ref
> 
> there is no need for non-null pointers.

Because sRef wouldn't be a reference but a copy.
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2