Feb 18, 2013
Kai Nacke
Feb 18, 2013
David Nadlinger
Feb 24, 2013
Adam Wilson
February 18, 2013
Hi all,

my original plans back in December were to make the next (upcoming) release the last one to support D1, so that there is a LDC 1 version available that is based on the last official frontend release.

However, the new D1 frontend still has not been merged, while at the same time we should really push for a quick 2.062 merge and subsequent release. As it looks like the general interest in D1 has pretty much faded by now - there has not been a single D1-related question or issue report since the last release -, what do you think about dropping D1 support from Git master very soon?

The last version to still have a dmd/ in working order would get branched off, so that anybody could continue to work on it if D1 is still of interest to them.

David
February 18, 2013
On Monday, 18 February 2013 at 19:18:48 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> my original plans back in December were to make the next (upcoming) release the last one to support D1, so that there is a LDC 1 version available that is based on the last official frontend release.
>
> However, the new D1 frontend still has not been merged, while at the same time we should really push for a quick 2.062 merge and subsequent release. As it looks like the general interest in D1 has pretty much faded by now - there has not been a single D1-related question or issue report since the last release -, what do you think about dropping D1 support from Git master very soon?

Hi David!

If there is no general interest in D1 then we should drop the support.

For all changes I did I relied on travis to check for D1. And since the tango tests are not working (issue #227), it only checks for syntax. I assume that we have to invest a lot of work to get a real quality D1 release. But without a general interest we should put the effort into D2.

Regards
Kai
February 18, 2013
On Monday, 18 February 2013 at 21:18:00 UTC, Kai Nacke wrote:
> For all changes I did I relied on travis to check for D1.

Same here.

> And since the tango tests are not working (issue #227), it only checks for syntax. I assume that we have to invest a lot of work to get a real quality D1 release. But without a general interest we should put the effort into D2.

Yep, this sums up my position pretty nicely as well.

David
February 24, 2013
On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 11:18:47 -0800, David Nadlinger <see@klickverbot.at> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> my original plans back in December were to make the next (upcoming) release the last one to support D1, so that there is a LDC 1 version available that is based on the last official frontend release.
>
> However, the new D1 frontend still has not been merged, while at the same time we should really push for a quick 2.062 merge and subsequent release. As it looks like the general interest in D1 has pretty much faded by now - there has not been a single D1-related question or issue report since the last release -, what do you think about dropping D1 support from Git master very soon?
>
> The last version to still have a dmd/ in working order would get branched off, so that anybody could continue to work on it if D1 is still of interest to them.
>
> David

Given that D1 is no longer officially supported I would fully support of dropping D1 from LDC. Branch it off for those who want to continue to work on it. And it would free you up to work on D2 support.

-- 
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender
Project Coordinator
The Horizon Project
http://www.thehorizonproject.org/