July 10, 2014
On Wednesday, 9 July 2014 at 16:21:55 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> My point was that the current move is from heavy graphic contexts with few API calls to explicit command buffers with many API calls. I would think it fits better to tiling where you defer rendering and sort polygons and therefore get context switches anyway (classical PowerVR on iDevices). It fits better to rendering a display graph directly, or UI etc.
>

Actually is seems to be moving to fewer and fewer api calls where
possible(see AZDO) with lightweight contexts.

> Yes, this is what they do. It is closer to what you want for general computing on the GPU. So there is probably a long term strategy for unifying computation and graphics in there somewhere. IIRC Apple claims Metal can be used for general computing as well as 3D.

Yeah, it seems like that is where everything is going very fast,
that is why I wish Aurora could try to follow that.

> Why?
>
> Imagination Technologies (PowerVR) purchased the raytracing accelerator (hardware design/patents) that three former Apple employees designed and has just completed the design for mobile devices so it is close to production. The RTU (ray tracing unit) has supposedly been worked into the same series of GPUs that is used in the iPhone. Speculation, sure, but not unlikely either.
>
> http://www.imgtec.com/powervr/raytracing.asp

This is actually really cool, I just don't see real time ray
tracing being usable(games and the like) for at least another
5-10 years, though I will certainly be very happy to be wrong.

> Why?
>
> Intel has always been willing to cooperate when AMD holds the strong cards (ATI is stronger than Intel's 3D division).
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTcyODY
>

You may be right, I don't know, it just doesn't seem to be
something they would do to me, just a gut feeling, no real basis
to back it up.

>
> I doubt it. ;-)
>
> Apple wants unique AAA titles on their iDevices to keep Android/Winphone at bay and to defend the high profit margins. They have no interest in portable low level access and will just point at OpenGL 2ES for that.
>

They will all be incompatible of course, no way we could get a
decent standard... nooooooo.  All I am saying is that as they get
closer and closer to the hardware, they will all start looking
relatively similar. After all, if they are all trying to get
close to the same thing(the hardware) then by association they
are getting closer to eachother. There will be stupid little
nuances that make them incompatible but they will still be doing
basically the same thing. Hardware specific api's(Mantel)
complicate this a little bit but not by much, all the gpu
hardware(excluding niche stuff like hardware ray tracers :P) out
there has basicly the same interface.

> True, but that is not a very stable abstraction level. Display Postscript/PDF etc is much more stable. It is also a very useful abstraction level since it means you can use the same graphics API for sending a drawing to the screen, to the printer or to a file.
>

I think its a fine abstraction level, buffers and shaders are not
hard concepts at all. All api's that Aurora is going to be based
on offers them as well as all modern gpu's support them. If
shaders were written in a DLS then in the case where Aurora needs
to fall back to software rendering then they can be translated to
D code and mixed right in. When they need to be turned into some
api specific shader then they could be translated at compile
time(the differences should mostly just be syntax). If the DSL
was a subset of D then that would simplify it even further as
well as make the learning curve much smaller. Its a perfectly
fine level of abstraction for any sort of graphics that also
happens to be supported very well by modern GPU's. I don't see
the problem.

> Well, having the abstractions for opening a drawing context, input devices etc would be useful, but not really a language level task IMO. Solid cross platform behaviour on that level will never happen (just think about what you have to wrap up on Android).

Well then in that case Aurora should be designed as a software
renderer with
hardware support as a possible addition later on. But that comes
back to the point that is is a little iffy what Aurora is
actually trying to be. Personally I would be disappointed if it
went down that route.
July 10, 2014
On Thursday, 10 July 2014 at 00:22:39 UTC, Tofu Ninja wrote:
> Actually is seems to be moving to fewer and fewer api calls where possible(see AZDO) with lightweight contexts.

Yeah, AZDO appears to work within the OpenGL framework as is. However, I get a feeling that there will be more moves from Intel/AMD towards integrating the FPUs of the GPU with the CPU. Phi, the HPC CPU from Intel, was meant to support rendering (Larrabee).

> Yeah, it seems like that is where everything is going very fast,
> that is why I wish Aurora could try to follow that.

Depends on what Aurora is meant to target. The video says it is meant to be more of a playful environment that allows pac-man mockups and possibly GUIs in the long run, but not sure who would want that? There are so many much better IDE/REPL environments for that: Swift, Flash&Co, HTML5/WebGL/Dart/PNaCL, Python and lots of  advanced frameworks with engines for cross platform mobile development at all kinds of proficiency levels.

Seems to me what a language that D needs is two separate frameworks:

1. A barebones 3D high performance library with multiple backends that follow the hardware trends (kind of what you are suggesting). Suitable for creating games and HPC stuff.

2. A stable high level API with geometric libraries for dealing with established abstractions: font files, vector primitives, PDF generation and parsing with canvas abstraction for both screen/gui, print, file… Suitable for applications/web.

3. An engine layering of 2. on top of 1. for portable interactive graphics but a higher abstraction level than 1.

> This is actually really cool, I just don't see real time ray
> tracing being usable(games and the like) for at least another
> 5-10 years, though I will certainly be very happy to be wrong.

I think it is only meant for shiny details on the mobile platforms. I could see it being used for mirrors in a car game. Spherical knobs etc.

If it works out ok when hitting silicone then I can see Apple using it to strenghten iOS as a "portable console platform", which probably means having proprietary APIs that squeeze every drop out of the hardware.

> You may be right, I don't know, it just doesn't seem to be
> something they would do to me, just a gut feeling, no real basis
> to back it up.

Intel and AMD/ATI have a common "enemy" in the GPU/HPC field: Nvidia/CUDA.

> basically the same thing. Hardware specific api's(Mantel)
> complicate this a little bit but not by much, all the gpu
> hardware(excluding niche stuff like hardware ray tracers :P) out
> there has basicly the same interface.

Well, Direct-X's model has forced the same kind of pipeline, but if they get rid of DX… There are also other performant solutions out there: FPGA, crossbar-style multicore (many simple CPUS with local memory on a grid with memory busses between them).

> time(the differences should mostly just be syntax). If the DSL
> was a subset of D then that would simplify it even further as
> well as make the learning curve much smaller. Its a perfectly
> fine level of abstraction for any sort of graphics that also
> happens to be supported very well by modern GPU's. I don't see
> the problem.

Well, it all depends on the application area. For pixel based rendering, sure, shaders is the only way. I agree.

For more stable application oriented APIs, vectors all the way and wrap up JPEG/PNG files in "image block" abstractions.

> hardware support as a possible addition later on. But that comes
> back to the point that is is a little iffy what Aurora is
> actually trying to be. Personally I would be disappointed if it
> went down that route.

Well, OS level abstractions are hard to get right and people who has managed to do it charge quite a bit of money for it:

https://www.madewithmarmalade.com/shop

I guess it is possible if you only target desktop Windows/Mac, but other than that I think PNaCL/Pepper would be a more valuable cross platform target.
July 10, 2014
On Thursday, 10 July 2014 at 10:43:45 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> Depends on what Aurora is meant to target. The video says it is meant to be more of a playful environment that allows pac-man mockups and possibly GUIs in the long run, but not sure who would want that? There are so many much better IDE/REPL environments for that: Swift, Flash&Co, HTML5/WebGL/Dart/PNaCL, Python and lots of  advanced frameworks with engines for cross platform mobile development at all kinds of proficiency levels.
>
> Seems to me what a language that D needs is two separate frameworks:
>
> 1. A barebones 3D high performance library with multiple backends that follow the hardware trends (kind of what you are suggesting). Suitable for creating games and HPC stuff.
>
> 2. A stable high level API with geometric libraries for dealing with established abstractions: font files, vector primitives, PDF generation and parsing with canvas abstraction for both screen/gui, print, file… Suitable for applications/web.
>
> 3. An engine layering of 2. on top of 1. for portable interactive graphics but a higher abstraction level than 1.

YES(I am so glad some one else sees this)! This is basically what I have been saying all along. I hoped the immediate mode could be (1) and the retained mode could be (2/3) so that we could have both and not be limited, but that does not seem to be the direction it is going. It is not even clear what the immediate mode 'is' right now in the current designs of Aurora. It seems to be more of an implementation detail rather than something usable on its own.

As it stands now, the direction that Aurora is taking seems to be an odd one IMHO. It is trying to be some thing in between (1) and (2/3) but I don't think that is useful to any one except maybe gui writers. That is what prompted me to post.
July 10, 2014
On Thursday, 10 July 2014 at 00:22:39 UTC, Tofu Ninja wrote:
>
> I think its a fine abstraction level, buffers and shaders are not
> hard concepts at all. All api's that Aurora is going to be based
> on offers them as well as all modern gpu's support them. If
> shaders were written in a DLS then in the case where Aurora needs
> to fall back to software rendering then they can be translated to
> D code and mixed right in. When they need to be turned into some
> api specific shader then they could be translated at compile
> time(the differences should mostly just be syntax). If the DSL
> was a subset of D then that would simplify it even further as
> well as make the learning curve much smaller. Its a perfectly
> fine level of abstraction for any sort of graphics that also
> happens to be supported very well by modern GPU's. I don't see
> the problem.

You might want to look at what bgfx does: https://github.com/bkaradzic/bgfx
It provides a shader compiler to various supported backends.

Abstracting shaders more or less mandates having a shader compiler from your language to graphics API out there. It does make an additional build step.
Compiling such a shader abstraction language at compile-time seems a bit optimistic to me.
July 10, 2014
On Thursday, 10 July 2014 at 14:59:47 UTC, Tofu Ninja wrote:
> YES(I am so glad some one else sees this)! This is basically what I have been saying all along. I hoped the immediate mode could be (1) and the retained mode could be (2/3) so that we could have both and not be limited, but that does not seem to be the direction it is going.

Oh, good then we are on the same frontier! :-) I thought you preferred an integrated approach. In my experience big frameworks tend to never get the APIs quite right, become tedious to work with, are difficult to adapt and seldom reach completion before they are out-of-date.

Much better with small, nimble, focused, polishable and performant IMO.

> As it stands now, the direction that Aurora is taking seems to be an odd one IMHO. It is trying to be some thing in between (1) and (2/3) but I don't think that is useful to any one except maybe gui writers. That is what prompted me to post.

Right, I could use (1) and (2) , but have no obvious use case for (3)… So if Aurora does not partition the design space into independent parts, then I can't use it.

I think the library space needs to be partioned properly just like the language/memory space (nogc/gc) in order to appeal to interactive app writers.
July 11, 2014
On Thursday, 10 July 2014 at 15:38:07 UTC, ponce wrote:
> You might want to look at what bgfx does: https://github.com/bkaradzic/bgfx
> It provides a shader compiler to various supported backends.

I have seen it but I have never used it. I don't actually know if
its any good or not but it is in the same vein of what I am
talking about.

> Abstracting shaders more or less mandates having a shader compiler from your language to graphics API out there. It does make an additional build step.

It would be complicated yes but certainly doable.

> Compiling such a shader abstraction language at compile-time seems a bit optimistic to me.

Maybe a little now but in the future maybe not, things are always
improving. It is also one of the reason I wish we could call out
to precompiled code at compile time, make it possible to have
inline shaders passed out of the compiler at compile time and
compiled by some other app.
July 15, 2014
On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 09:03:37 -0700, Andrei Alexandrescu
<SeeWebsiteForEmail@erdani.org> wrote:

> https://news.ycombinator.com/newest (please find and vote quickly)
>
> https://twitter.com/D_Programming/status/486540487080554496
>
> https://www.facebook.com/dlang.org/posts/881134858566863
>
> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/2a5ia9/dconf_2014_day_2_talk_3_designing_an_aurora_a/
>
>
> Andrei

So instead of replying to each messages and accumulating a LOT of quoted text I will attempt to answer some of your questions here.

The first is that I would like to challenge the assumption that Scene Graphs are somehow "Less Performant". In fact the they are a very highly performant solution to many problems, yes there are a few drawbacks but they are far outweighed by the performance gains. Remember that when you are designing a system you must consider the system as a whole, it's WAY to easy to get caught up in individual concerns. Most AAA game engines use some form of scene graph. The one I am familiar with is CryENGINE 3. Now those scene graphs are more specialized, but there is absolutely no reason that a scene graph has to be "slow". In fact D's immutability may give the compiler (and us) the ability to build the most performant scene graph in the world.

Scene graphs make relative transforms easy for example, and since that is really all you're doing in 3D, making that easy for the computer is a massive win.

As for similarity in graphics subsystem API's they are, at best, superficial. When you actually try to implement something on top of them, you end up forcing the abstraction far higher than you'd think. Plus the high-level API design was something that Walter, Andrei, and I all agreed on at the start.

I want to reiterate that Aurora is NOT a high-performance game engine and we won't even pretend to try.

The focus on 2D is not about how difficult 2D versus 3D is, but about project scope. We want to build Aurora in components that are useful on their own. Based on previous message traffic in the forum I think that more people will find use for the 2D components than the 3D components.

Writing a DSL for shaders is one of those things that sounds good until you actually try it. There is a LOT of complexity, both at the language level and the number of output variations, within shaders that would have to addressed.

While D is appealing to game designers, Aurora is very explicitly NOT targeting them. They will either create their own engines or using a COTS system that's already available. Walter made this point extremely clear to me when he asked me to take this project on.

Yes, performance is not a goal, because we are intentionally not targeting scenarios where that is the first concern. I understand that a lot of people want Aurora to be a high-performance graphics API with a focus on games, but that isn't our goal. Simplicity is the goal and we will sacrifice performance where it directly conflicts with that goal. If you need a high-performance game engine, I would strongly recommend either creating a custom solution or using an off-the-self system.

-- 
Adam Wilson
GitHub/IRC: LightBender
Aurora Project Coordinator
July 15, 2014
On Tuesday, 15 July 2014 at 05:40:29 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
> Yes, performance is not a goal, because we are intentionally not targeting scenarios where that is the first concern. I understand that a lot of people want Aurora to be a high-performance graphics API with a focus on games, but that isn't our goal. Simplicity is the goal and we will sacrifice performance where it directly conflicts with that goal. If you need a high-performance game engine, I would strongly recommend either creating a custom solution or using an off-the-self system.

To clarify, while Aurora may not be a performant enough solution
for a full graphics engine, it should theoretically be
sufficiently fast for a GUI within a game, correct?
July 16, 2014
On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 09:12:01 -0700, Kapps <opantm2+spam@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 15 July 2014 at 05:40:29 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
>> Yes, performance is not a goal, because we are intentionally not targeting scenarios where that is the first concern. I understand that a lot of people want Aurora to be a high-performance graphics API with a focus on games, but that isn't our goal. Simplicity is the goal and we will sacrifice performance where it directly conflicts with that goal. If you need a high-performance game engine, I would strongly recommend either creating a custom solution or using an off-the-self system.
>
> To clarify, while Aurora may not be a performant enough solution
> for a full graphics engine, it should theoretically be
> sufficiently fast for a GUI within a game, correct?

That shouldn't be a problem.

-- 
Adam Wilson
GitHub/IRC: LightBender
Aurora Project Coordinator
1 2
Next ›   Last »