John Reimer
May 07, 2004
Ant
May 07, 2004
Matthew
May 07, 2004
Ivan Senji
May 05, 2004
[Sorry for the post onto the D forum, but I'm going to do that for a little while longer, until the DTL forum achieves its own momentum.]

Not that I'm promising that all suggestions will get in the first version, but I'd like to know what containers people would like to see as part of the standard library.

For any suggestions that do not have direct analogues in the C++ standard library, descriptions of/links to implementations would be helpful.

I'm not planning to put in huge amounts of esoteric containers, but there are certainly things that are missing from the C++ standard library that are missed.

Cheers

-- 
Matthew Wilson

Contributing editor, C/C++ Users Journal
    (www.synesis.com.au/articles.html#columns)
STLSoft moderator
    (http://www.stlsoft.org)

"I can't sleep nights till I found out who hurled what ball through what apparatus" -- Dr Niles Crane

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 05, 2004
Matthew wrote:

>[Sorry for the post onto the D forum, but I'm going to do that for a little while
>longer, until the DTL forum achieves its own momentum.]
>
>Not that I'm promising that all suggestions will get in the first version, but
>I'd like to know what containers people would like to see as part of the standard
>library.
>
>For any suggestions that do not have direct analogues in the C++ standard
>library, descriptions of/links to implementations would be helpful.
>
>I'm not planning to put in huge amounts of esoteric containers, but there are
>certainly things that are missing from the C++ standard library that are missed.
>
>Cheers
>  
>

- Singular linked lists (this was mentioned before).

-- 
-Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
May 05, 2004
I use multimaps a lot in a game I was looking to port to D.
I use the multimap iterator to contain an object in the multimap... so the game requires map insertion and deletion that do not destroy the iterators already in the multimap. (this is currently how STL is setup)

I also use maps a lot... it's something that's currently sorely missed in D (though hashtables are very useful for certain things, being able to go through objects in some order is quite important for collision detection)

sets are useful, but they're just maps ;-)

the ability to directly use the underlying tree structure of the multimap (i.e. having a predefined balanced or nearly balanced tree class) would be quite useful for collision detection for example

J Anderson wrote:

> Matthew wrote:
> 
>> [Sorry for the post onto the D forum, but I'm going to do that for a little while
>> longer, until the DTL forum achieves its own momentum.]
>>
>> Not that I'm promising that all suggestions will get in the first version, but
>> I'd like to know what containers people would like to see as part of the standard
>> library.
>>
>> For any suggestions that do not have direct analogues in the C++ standard
>> library, descriptions of/links to implementations would be helpful.
>>
>> I'm not planning to put in huge amounts of esoteric containers, but there are
>> certainly things that are missing from the C++ standard library that are missed.
>>
>> Cheers
>>  
>>
> 
> - Singular linked lists (this was mentioned before).
> 
May 06, 2004
J Anderson wrote:
> 
> - Singular linked lists (this was mentioned before).

These are already in the C++ STL as an adaptor so I assume it would be in the DTL as well.

Is there a spec of what we've got so far, or something about basic design principles?  Work has kept me too darn busy to play much with D but I'd be interested in seeing how things are going so far.

Sean

May 06, 2004
Matthew wrote:

> Not that I'm promising that all suggestions will get in the first version, but
> I'd like to know what containers people would like to see as part of the standard
> library.

I'd love to see a HashTable. In C++, it is not part of the standard and is implemented as a vendor-specific extension.
May 06, 2004
mike parker wrote:
> 
> I'd love to see a HashTable. In C++, it is not part of the standard and is implemented as a vendor-specific extension.

Hmm. Then again, is there a use for a HashTable above and beyond what can be done with associative arrays?
May 06, 2004
- a linked list (double)
- a red-black tree for sorted associative containers (eg, maps, set) I'm up
in the air if we need to explicitly define set,map,multiset,multimap. I'm
tempted to just have the tree and say with value type of void it is a set,
with a counter it can be a multi-set, and with a dynamic or associative
array it is a multi-map.

- some helper functions for dealing with arrays like "reserve". It is still true that setting the length of a dynamic array to zero (or from zero) will wipe out any reserve but it's better than nothing.

Here's a meta-question: what should go in std, what should go in etc and what should go outside the dmd.zip distribution like on dsource?

May 06, 2004
Matthew wrote:
> [Sorry for the post onto the D forum, but I'm going to do that for a little while
> longer, until the DTL forum achieves its own momentum.]

Please do NOT do that. DTL will gain it's momentum as people will see in their news readers that there are new messages in the group.
Besides that it takes double the resources. AFAIK cross posting as it is called is NOT allowed in the Borland forums. I would not like to go that far, but I would like to discourage it.

Thanks!
Jan

-- 
ManiaC++
Jan Knepper

But as for me and my household, we shall use Mozilla...
www.mozilla.org
May 06, 2004
On Thu, 06 May 2004 09:00:20 +1000, Matthew wrote:

> [Sorry for the post onto the D forum, but I'm going to do that for a little while longer, until the DTL forum achieves its own momentum.]
> 
> Not that I'm promising that all suggestions will get in the first version, but I'd like to know what containers people would like to see as part of the standard library.
> 
> For any suggestions that do not have direct analogues in the C++ standard library, descriptions of/links to implementations would be helpful.
> 
> I'm not planning to put in huge amounts of esoteric containers, but there are certainly things that are missing from the C++ standard library that are missed.
> 
> Cheers

Do to your other contributions I'm going to assume that
DTL will be released on the Synesis License.
That's absolutelly fine with me.
I have no problem at all with that, no problem at all
as long as I'm not forced to download the source code to
use the final product.

I just want to clarify:
are these contributions in the form of wishes
(i.e ideas and priorities - at least)
to be considered donnations to Synesis?

Ant

May 06, 2004
Ok. Will do.

;)

"Jan Knepper" <jan@smartsoft.us> wrote in message news:c7c79t$86f$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> Matthew wrote:
> > [Sorry for the post onto the D forum, but I'm going to do that for a little
while
> > longer, until the DTL forum achieves its own momentum.]
>
> Please do NOT do that. DTL will gain it's momentum as people will see in
> their news readers that there are new messages in the group.
> Besides that it takes double the resources. AFAIK cross posting as it is
> called is NOT allowed in the Borland forums. I would not like to go that
> far, but I would like to discourage it.
>
> Thanks!
> Jan
>
>
> -- 
> ManiaC++
> Jan Knepper
>
> But as for me and my household, we shall use Mozilla... www.mozilla.org

« First   ‹ Prev
1 2 3