Sebastiaan Koppe
Mar 23, 2019
Jesse Phillips
Mar 23, 2019
Mike Parker
Mar 23, 2019
M.M.
March 22, 2019
Many thanks to Sebastian Wilzbach, Nicholas Wilson, Mike Franklin, and others!

It's been a long and often frustrating endeavor, but we made it and I'm very pleased with the results.
March 23, 2019
On 3/22/19 11:06 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> Many thanks to Sebastian Wilzbach, Nicholas Wilson, Mike Franklin, and others!
> 
> It's been a long and often frustrating endeavor, but we made it and I'm very pleased with the results.

At the risk of embarrassing myself: Am I the only one who finds they need to google a DIP number every single time in order to have any idea what it refers to? (And then massage the query to get to the right place.)

On the off chance I'm not alone:
https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/DIPs/other/DIP1000.md

Ie DIP1000: "Scoped Pointers": "...provides a mechanism to guarantee that a reference cannot escape lexical scope" in large part to aid non-GC memory management.

With that aside, this does indeed sound like a great milestone (not that I doubted!). Kudos and congrats all around!
March 22, 2019
On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 12:01:49AM -0400, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> On 3/22/19 11:06 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> > Many thanks to Sebastian Wilzbach, Nicholas Wilson, Mike Franklin, and others!
> > 
> > It's been a long and often frustrating endeavor, but we made it and I'm very pleased with the results.
[...]
> Ie DIP1000: "Scoped Pointers": "...provides a mechanism to guarantee that a reference cannot escape lexical scope" in large part to aid non-GC memory management.
> 
> With that aside, this does indeed sound like a great milestone (not that I doubted!). Kudos and congrats all around!

Does that mean -dip1000 will become the default compiler behaviour in the near future?

Also, does it only apply to @safe code, so that I have to start annotating stuff with @safe in order to benefit from it?

T

-- 
Meat: euphemism for dead animal. -- Flora
March 23, 2019
On Saturday, 23 March 2019 at 05:04:58 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Also, does it only apply to @safe code, so that I have to start annotating stuff with @safe in order to benefit from it?
>
>
> T

As per the DIP and from my experience, yes.
March 23, 2019
On Saturday, 23 March 2019 at 03:06:37 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Many thanks to Sebastian Wilzbach, Nicholas Wilson, Mike Franklin, and others!
>
> It's been a long and often frustrating endeavor, but we made it and I'm very pleased with the results.

This is really nice. I congratulate your efforts. Safety for the win!
March 23, 2019
>

https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/DIPs/other/DIP1000.md

Maybe this needs updated?
March 23, 2019
On Saturday, 23 March 2019 at 13:51:37 UTC, Jesse Phillips wrote:

>
> Status:	Superseded
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/DIPs/other/DIP1000.md
>
> Maybe this needs updated?

It was marked superseded because the implementation differs significantly enough from the proposal that it would require a near complete rewrite.
March 23, 2019
>

Congratulations to everyone involved. Have a good discussion at DCONF, and I am already eager to hear what the next main focus in the near future will be.