April 04, 2019
On the plus side of shared as it is at the moment, and it's a pretty big plus, is it identifies what data is shared, and how it's integrated into the type system is good.

With C and C++, when you've got a shared memory bug, you have no idea where to start. In D, you look at the shared stuff. You're not going to have inadvertently shared variables.
April 04, 2019
On 4/4/2019 4:10 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> DIP1000 is actually an example of second-order thinking. Walter pored over it for months before writing and implementing it.

So far, the only real shortcoming in the initial design was revealed by the put() semantics, and was fixed with that PR that transmitted scope-ness through the first argument.

On the other hand, while it would be great if we could anticipate all second order effects, it's unrealistic to always get that right, and no language does.
April 05, 2019
On Thursday, 4 April 2019 at 21:05:51 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On the plus side of shared as it is at the moment, and it's a pretty big plus, is it identifies what data is shared, and how it's integrated into the type system is good.
>
> With C and C++, when you've got a shared memory bug, you have no idea where to start. In D, you look at the shared stuff. You're not going to have inadvertently shared variables.

I mean, given that synchronized classes don't strip out the first layer of shared, as is necessary to make them, basically, *at all* usable, we're currently forced to use synchronized(this) ... which does not force shared at all. So this seems optimistic.

Thinking more about it, I feel shared is a fundamentally wrong direction. Even stripping out the first layer, I'll not be able to naturally read or modify anything with references, say an int array, because the language can't know that nothing else has a view on the array. I'd be limited to arrays of immutable data, with all the "can never overwrite a field, even though I own the array" problems that brings.

Istm that the more natural way to use shared in the context of classes would be to talk not in terms of whether data is shared or not, but whether data is *owned* by the class. If I transitively owned the array in a synchronized class, I could overwrite what I want at will, confident that any access would be happening behind a synchronized block.

ie.

struct S
{
  int[] data; // reference
}

synchronized class S
{
  private owned S[] array;

// valid despite shared - array is not shared, because we own it.
  void test1(size_t index) { array[index] = owned(S)(null); }

// not valid - `data` references caller data; we can't take ownership of it.
  void test2(int[] data) { array[index] = owned(S)(data); }

// valid - we have exclusive ownership on data.dup
  void test3(int[] data) { array[index] = owned(S)(data.dup); }

// invalid - can't escape owned data.
  owned(S) test4() { return array.front; }

// valid
  S test5() { return S(array.front.data.dup); }
}

As far as I can see, in production use synchronization is about atomic access only in the very rarest of cases. I can't imagine why a domain class would ever return anything shared (who would trust the outside world to know how to correctly access it?), and inside class methods, presuming we own our data, as classes *should anyways*, shared has no benefit because there's only one reader/writer anyways. In comparison, imo, owned would formalize the way that threadsafe classes should be written *anyways*.

April 05, 2019
On 4/4/19 5:05 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On the plus side of shared as it is at the moment, and it's a pretty big plus, is it identifies what data is shared, and how it's integrated into the type system is good.
> 
> With C and C++, when you've got a shared memory bug, you have no idea where to start. In D, you look at the shared stuff. You're not going to have inadvertently shared variables.

Such an outlook means stagnation and smothers progress. Shared is nowhere near where it should be. Internalizing that is key to getting it right.

I've said this many many times privately and publicly: If we never make the argument "yeah but C++ is worse" again, that would be too soon.
April 05, 2019
On Thursday, 4 April 2019 at 21:05:51 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>

Sorry, Walter. But it is indeed easy to track down shared memory bugs than introducing design level bugs with shared.
April 06, 2019
On 4/1/19 8:04 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 4/1/19 5:23 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
>> Reasoning from first principles, the right fix is actually to allow non-const length.
> 
> D'accordo. Can you please put forth a PR to that effect?

My attempts to delegate go a lot like my wife's attempts to get me to help around the house :o).

https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/6944

8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Next ›   Last »