I like, nice work.

On 28 Oct 2012 02:35, "BLM768" <blm768@gmail.com> wrote:
I've recently been working with Ruby's ActiveRecord as part of my job, and I realized that D was powerful enough to make a similar abstraction layer. I've been playing with the idea for a little while, and I've put up some code at https://github.com/blm768/adbi. It isn't nearly as comprehensive as ActiveRecord, but it captures the basic idea of representing database structures as objects/structs.

Using it is something like this:

module main;

import std.stdio;

import adbi.model;
import adbi.sqlite3.database;

struct Test {
        mixin Model!"test";

const(char)[] name;
        double num;
        mixin reference!("test2", "test2", Test2);
}

struct Test2 {
        mixin Model!"test2";
        int value;
}

int main(string[] args) {
        auto db = new Sqlite3Database("test.db");
        auto q = db.query("SELECT * FROM test;");

Test.updateSchema(db);
        Test2.updateSchema(db);

auto range = ModelRange!Test(q);

foreach(value; range) {
                writeln(value);
        }

auto q2 = db.query("SELECT * FROM test, test2 WHERE test2_id = test2.id");

auto r2 = ModelRange!(Join!(Test, Test2))(q2);

foreach(j; r2) {
                writeln(j);
        }

return 0;
}

This code prints out every entry in the "test" table, then prints the results of a join on the "test" and "test2" tables. The calls to updateSchema() set up some static members of Test and Test2; after these calls, the library does not perform any operations with the column names, which should make retrieving a record noticeably faster than in a system like ActiveRecord. The downside is that these functions must be called every time the database schema changes in a way that affects column order, but that should happen very rarely, if ever, in a typical application.

The code is far from complete, but it's an interesting toy and might actually be useful for simple applications once some of the issues are ironed out.