On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 6:36 PM, bearophile <bearophileHUGS@lycos.com> wrote:
Jonathan M Davis:

> Regardless of what language you're
> programming in, it's generally best to program in the typical paradigms of that
> language. Trying to contort it to act like another language is _not_ going to
> result in optimal code.

D supports functional style too now. In Bugzilla I have put most of the requests I think are useful. So if you have specific comments please add to those.

That's not the point. No matter what styles of programming D supports, it will support them differently from other languages. This is true for pretty much any language, so direct comparisons don't really get you much.
I come from the Java world with some Scala experience, and I frequently find myself trying to write code the Java make-everything-an-object way, and I just as frequently find that D can do things much more simply if I blend the OO with imperative code and chuck in a few functional elements where useful.
I can appreciate what you're trying to do, but doing a line by line comparison of D and Python and asking for features to make D look more like Python just feels like you're trying to contort D into something it never claimed to be. It's not entirely wrong, but it's not entirely right either.