If the compiler started generating 2 copies of all my ref functions, I'd be rather unimpressed... bloat is already a problem in D. Perhaps this may be a handy feature, but I wouldn't call this a 'solution' to this issue.
Also, what if the function is external (likely)... auto ref can't work if the function is external, an implicit temporary is required in that case.

On 7 November 2012 01:37, martin <kinke@libero.it> wrote:
On Tuesday, 6 November 2012 at 22:32:57 UTC, Manu wrote:
But it only really makes sense in the context of templates...?
Why should something called 'auto ref' provide fabrication of temporaries
for the purpose of passing rvalues to functions that receive ref args?

How does auto ref (under some different definition/implementation) address
the rvalue problem?

The thing is that currently there are 2 workarounds. You described the first one - allocating temporaries manually to obtain referenceable lvalues:

void func(ref in Vector m);
Vector v1v2PlusSomeStuff = v1*v2 + Vector(10, 20, 30);
func(v1v2PlusSomeStuff);

The other, also painfully annoying workaround is overloading func:

void func(in ref Vector m);
void func(in Vector m);

func(v1*v2 + Vector(10, 20, 30));

'auto ref' implements the second workaround (via a template) and therefore requires a single, but templated func() implementation:

void func(T)(in auto ref T m);

This template, as I understand it, gets expanded to:

void func(T)(in ref T m); // for lvalues
void func(T)(in T m);     // for rvalues

So for non-templated functions, I suggest 2 options:

1) The previously described auto-templates (identical 'auto ref' semantics), where a function with 'auto ref' parameters is treated as implicit template. This may lead to code-bloating (for larger functions) and/or higher performance for rvalue arguments (rvalues passed to value arguments are moved, not copied; we therefore gain nothing by passing a reference, but incur a slight performance hit due to pointer indirection instead of accessing directly the rvalue on the stack). OR
2) Simple under-the-hood temporary lvalue declaration by the compiler (for rvalues passed to 'const ref' parameters) - that would be a handy implementation of the first workaround.

I hope you get my point. :)