Not to get too far off topic, I'm the only one where I work who will use C#. I think some people simply hate Microsoft the company so much that they would not even fire up C# and try it once. They won't be caught liking it. And that's seems to be the case where I work as far as I can tell. Maybe D would be more well received than C# by such people if it integrated better with VS, I don't know. But there is always the issue with less widely used languages: if I write our company's main product in D, and if we then need to hire more people, I need to tell my boss we need to hire people that know D (or are at least willing and able pick it up) which are not as common. If anything at all goes wrong with D that wouldn't have gone wrong had we used C++, it's on me. No one ever got fired for buying IBM, lol. Sorry, I know we need to battle past that but I can't help mentioning it.

Not so much hate Microsoft as cautious of using platforms that contain a lot of Microsoft IP. The thing about Microsoft is that it isn't really one monolithic company and while the divisions of the company that do C# and .net are probably totally cool there are other parts of of the company who wouldn't hesitate to leverage that IP against anything they perceive to be a competitive threat. Even if they don't C# being a VM based language there is a lot of Oracle IP to deal with (Microsoft currently pay Oracle a metric f*cktonne of money per year to use that IP and I am not sure where alternate .Net implementations stand in this regards). See Microsoft v Google and Oracle v Google. This probably won't be an issue if you are heavily microsoft centric in what you are doing anyways just not sure how much I trust it as a cross platform solution in the long term.

Ideally D would allow you to write code that is in the same ballpark performance wise as C/C++ but with much greater programmer productivity. I don't think it's quite there yet. I think that IDE intergration including V S is part of that, in fact I think it is something of a low hanging fruit.