On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 00:47, Walter Bright <newshound1@digitalmars.com> wrote:
Philippe Sigaud wrote:
(Uh, first time poster, so hi to all!)

Glad you could join us!

Thanks, Walter, and thank you for D. I did find the NG easily and even found a way to have gmail read it and put it into my mail box. If only I could remember how I ddi it...

Anyway, all I can say is that entering D was quite easy, as I'm part of your target population: years of C & C++, some Jave, some dabbling in Python. Compared to C++ were I never did any template, templates in D are relatively easy to wrap your mind around.  And I fell in love with the range idea, being immersed in Clojure's Seq or Haskell lists right now.

As some other people here would say, I'm just a run-of-the-mill programmer discovering functional programming and the power of sequences. But eh, those were fun to code.

I discovered D2 ranges a few months ago and decided to get a grip on them for the past
few weeks by coding some new ranges. As I'm also reading on Haskell, Clojure and Scala,
I tried to code in D some functions seen elsewhere.

All in all, I'm having a lot of fun and feel like I'm beginning to grok templates and ranges. I've
a module with some new functions inspired by those of std.range and std.algorithm and was wondering if they could be interesting for someone else.

What you're doing is great fodder for an article. Care to write one?

You know, I'm pretty sure my code is no so good to look at. As I said, I'm no professional coder. I guess if all goes well, I can write something on my experience as a complete newbie. My line of work is completely different, so I'm pretty sure I'm rediscovering things known in CS (particulary the functional world) for years...

Philippe