Preface:

Back when i didn't know about D's existence, C++ was my favorite language.
The reason for that was, that C++ allowed all the following simultaneously:
    * Allowed me to wrote very optimized and high-performance code (I'm a run-time performance paranoiac).
    * Allowed me to avoid constant low-level shenanigans (what with object-oriented and/or generic programming wrappers and all).
    * Allowed me to project my problem space into solution space relatively easily.
And the complexity and downsides of C++ were essentially ignored because "Well, i can cope with that, so what's the problem?".
The high-productivity alternatives to C++, like Java could never quench my paranoid thirst for run-time performance, so i was basically stuck with C++.
Sometimes i realized, that having high-productivity and high run-time performance simultaneously was impossible, which killed my passion for programming.
Then D comes along...
I take a close look at it and I fell in love with it!
Not only does it perfectly satisfy my run-time performance paranoia, but it looks so beautiful and it's so simple!
D re-ignited fires of passion to programming in me!
It objectively has no practical weakness against C++.

Main point:

I've conducted an experiment by promoting D to my colleagues. Every single conversation ended up like "Well, i don't deny it's superiority, but we're not gonna rewrite our code base anyway".
I further investigated  the "Why would you wanna spend lots of time and money on maintaining old crotchety code, rather then re-investing the same money in PARTIALLY rewriting the code base and forget about troubles forever?".
It turns out, that people, who maintain mature commercial projects are simply afraid to switch from their language.
Note, that they're not afraid to switch to D, their afraid to switch from C++.
This is because they have 100% confidence in C++ in terms of it's support, tools, libraries and general usability.
They KNOW, that they'll always have stable compiler, IDE, libraries and lots of C++ experts to help them with language-related issues.

Currently, D has none of those things. D is, as i said earlier, an amazingly beautiful and powerful language, which nobody denies, but it has no stable compiler (DMD is full of bugs, GDC and LDC inherit DMD's bugs and all that stops me from using D to it's full extent), it has no satisfying IDEs (VisualD and DDT are the only ones and are also full of bugs) and library (All D has is a tiny little phobos and a couple of broken bindings for D1).

And above all, people gain confidence int a language if it's being actively breast-fed by a big fat company. Example: C++ is being taken care of by Microsoft in the form of active development of their compiler, public documentation about it and a whole lot of action going on around C++. And average Joe thinks "Toy can't miss with Microsoft!" and goes ahead and uses C++.

D is maintained by a group of volunteers (I've joined that group recently), with no commercial interest in it. Of course, that's good, but not too reassuring.

I call upon all fellow D developers to help me put together a reasonable infrastructure for D and end this annoying popularity paradox once and for all.
As well as try to spread awareness of D as much as possible using ads, reviews, benchmarks and anything else that people tend to read once in a while.

I'm ready to donate money to sponsor an ad campaign.