On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Era Scarecrow <rtcvb32@yahoo.com> wrote:
On Wednesday, 3 October 2012 at 17:08:25 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
I hear you. We have a detailed budget model and we're not splurging in any way. Organizing a conference has quite a few odds and ends and weird pricing. As an example, location providers offer good prices for the location proper BUT they require using their own catering services, which is how they make money. I co-organized a few conferences and, believe me, a cookie has a different taste when you know it was $5.

That being said, if anyone on this forum works in the Bay Area and takes this to their employer, we'd save a ton of expenses if a company could offer a meeting room. I have initiated such with Facebook, and they're looking into it. All - please email me if such an opportunity exists.

Depending on how many people would be attending, and I'm sure most of us are far enough away that a place to stay becomes a question. A quick glance suggests room swill be anywhere from $80-$200, and if it hits tourist season that number can double (or triple) easily.

Palo Alto doesn't have a tourist season. I doubt any tourist wants to visit Palo Alto ;). I suspect Hotels are busy when school (Stanford) is starting/ending but even then it is probably not bad.

Looking forward to this. I would probably attend as I live in the hood.

Thank,
-Jose