On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 12:22 PM, WhatMeWorry <kc_heaser@yahoo.com> wrote:
Looks like you are trying to link. Libraries are not linked they are just compiled. Then object files are put together into library file.
Link produces *executable* (yeah I recall that was hard to get at first).

Wait, isn't that the whole point of libraries, that they are pre-compiled? Linking just resolves their addresses?

Yes and no. You have to link *dynamic* libraries to resolve addresses, but you're dealing with a static library. "Static library" is to some extent a misnomer because you don't link them at all; they're basically a bunch of object files thrown into an archive file. Addresses get resolved when you link an executable and all those object files get included from inside the archive.

Anyway, I set the LIB environment variable to point to where my druntime and phobos libraries (with absolute paths even) like so:

set LIB=C:\D\dmd2\src\druntime\lib;C:\D\dmd2\src\phobos

but when I redo the link step,I am still seening the undefined symbols like in my original posting.

I love programming, but I hate building. Is this what Andrei means by code for "being" as opposed to code for "doing:.

One of the downsides of native compilation is that the toolchain is a much more complex system than it is with VM languages (and interpreted languages don't need a toolchain at all).

Unfortunately, I use GDC on Windows and Linux, so I can't tell you exactly the command to create a static library with DMD, but I can tell you that you don't need to invoke optlink.