On 10 April 2013 15:30, kenji hara <k.hara.pg@gmail.com> wrote:
2013/4/10 Manu <turkeyman@gmail.com>
Why are you suggesting changing scope to imply ref? This seems wrong. scope and ref are separate, should remain that way.

I say that 'scope' itself should not imply 'ref'. It is *possible* but would break existing code meaning, so it should not be applied.

Right. Absolutely agree then! :)

Arguments would be scope ref, or in ref, thus allowing rvalues. Without ref, I would imagine that the meaning is such that, even though the argument is a copy, it, or members thereof are not allowed to escape.

struct X { int *p; }
int* global;

void func(scope X x) // note: is not ref
{
  global = x.p; // <- error! scope prevents any part of x escaping, even though it's a copy.
}

This way, scope has meaning with or without ref.

That is an enhancement. Similar things is now in my mind, but it is not yet output.

I think this is a tool that will greatly enhance working with @safe in the future. I look forward to it.

And, 'scope' is alredy used for delegate parameter.

int opApply(scope int delegate(ref int) dg);

Such a semantic modification will silently change the meaning of existing code. It's not good to me.

What does scope mean in this case? Is this a conflict in some way?

Compiler guarantees that given delegate to the scope parameter never make a closure.
It would avoid heap allocation.

Do you have any ideas/solutions that still fit this proposal?
I tend to think the value of this proposal is of extreme significance to D. It is, without doubt, the single biggest complaint I've heard by virtually every programmer I've introduced D to, and the future implications for @safe improvements are valuable too.