On 22 January 2012 23:34, Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail@erdani.org> wrote:
On 1/22/12 3:18 PM, Manu wrote:
On 22 January 2012 18:42, Sean Kelly <sean@invisibleduck.org

<mailto:sean@invisibleduck.org>> wrote:

The popularity of a language has no bearing on the quality of one of
   its features. Are there other message passing schemes you prefer?

As said in the original post, I think receiveOnly() is the most
intuitive API. I just think that one should be named receive(), and
perhaps receive() may be renamed receiveMulti(). Surely that would be
more intuitive to more people?

Names will not change.

Why? Surely API's being as intuitive as possible should be a key goal for a standard library?
The thing isn't supposed to be stable yet is it? If you take the attitude that no name should ever be changed, then I think there is a problem with the phobos contribution process.
Phobos contributions have basically no incubation time/process. I've seen others suggest new stuff should go in exp.xxx to incubate, and it should only be promoted to std after some time, or some successful usage in multiple large-ish projects?
It's a shame that basic usability things like that couldn't be caught earlier.

Do you disagree that receive() and receiveMulti() (with the crazy var-arg-of-delegates API that nobody would have ever seen in any popular language before) is a far more intuitive approach?
C# is awesome because it gets this right. I think that's its single greatest achievement, and can not be understated.

Also both Only and Multi varieties should have a Timeout version, and I
would love to see a poll()/pollMulti() function.

This is sensible. You may want to add functions through pull requests, or make enhancement requests on bugzilla.

Shall do one or the other.