On 18 April 2012 21:48, Andrew Lauritzen <andrew.lauritzen@gmail.com> wrote:
I sent this to the mailing list but as it appears to be awaiting moderation, here might be a more appropriate place for discussion.

Throwing exceptions from fibers seems buggy on Windows in the latest D2 runtime. Even a small modification to the example given in the unit test (adding unrelated exception handling to the same scope) fails with a "Stack Overflow" exception then tons of access violations:

enum MSG = "Test message.";
  string caughtMsg;
  (new Fiber({
      try
      {
          throw new Exception(MSG);
      }
      catch (Exception e)
      {
          caughtMsg = e.msg;
      }
  })).call();
  assert(caughtMsg == MSG);
  // Add these two lines
  try { caughtMsg = "Hello"; }
  catch (Exception e) { caughtMsg = "World"; }

It seems brittle as well. Adding a "assert(caughtMsg == "Hello");" to the end of the above program for instance avoids the access violations (but still shows the stack overflow in the debugger). Similarly playing with the caughtMsg assignments (omitting one) or adding another assert at the end of the program will sometimes cause the program to run without error. This is in debug mode with optimizations off to theoretically avoid dead code elimination, but clearly something is easily thrown off.

I take it that not too many people are using Fibers on windows, but I really need them for a project that I'm working on. Alternatively I've considered trying to wrap native Win32 API Fibers to accomplish something similar, but I'm not sure of the difficulty of that. Anyone done this or have recommendations of a similar workaround? I really do need both fibers/coroutines and exceptions to express what I'm trying to do in a clean and efficient manner. I've considered switching to Go, but I've got some really handy mixins in D that would become copy-pasted stuff in Go presumably.

I'm running a 32-bit D application on Windows 7 x64. I've tried on several machines with the same results, and the same issue was present in 2.058 as well.

Any ideas?

How far did you get using Fibers on Windows in the end?
I'm using GDC for x64 Windows, and it crashes in call(), but before it enters the fibre function. I think it's just broken... :/
Anyone else had problems?