On 2018-12-22 21:57:09 +0000, Adam Wilson said:

On 12/22/18 10:47 AM, Robert M. Münch wrote:

On 2018-12-22 12:18:25 +0000, Mike Parker said:

Thanks to Symmetry Investments, DConf is heading to London! We're still ironing out the details, but I've been sitting on this for weeks and, now that we have a venue, I just can't keep quiet about it any longer.

Hi, you should consider the upcoming Brexit chaos, which is expect to have a high impact on all airlines. Currently I wouldn't bet that all parties involved get things sorted out until May...

I very much doubt that Brexit will cause anything approaching choas insofar as airlines are concerned. Currently all international flights are governed by the Montreal Convention which was signed by the individual states of the EU and not the EU itself, and the ICAO which is a UN function. They will remain in force regardless of the UK's status vis-a-vis Brexit.

Since you seem to be a topic matter expert on this, I suggest you get in contact with these guys (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/iata-brexit-flight-disruption/) because they don't seem to know what you know.

There may be the additional annoyance of EU folks having to pass through passport control depending on the final disposition of Brexit, but that's probably it.

Since UK was not part of the Schengen agreement in the past, passport control was happening already. So, you prediction doesn't hold.

Chaos is a persuasion word that has zero measurable technical meaning, it's purpose is to allow your mind to fill it's space with your worst nightmares. Whenever I see it in the news I assume that the writer is ideologically opposed to whatever event the writer is describing and lacks any evidence to back up their claims.

Hmm... Following how the major figures are working, and getting things done WRT Brexit preparation and how honestly and clear everyone is informed, I can't imagine a better word. From my live-experience so far, all these indicators (clearly measureable by reading different sources, counting 1 + 1 etc.) are deep in my "chaos classificaiton". Maybe it's time to enter the stage and let the world see how you are going to manage it... a lot of poeple would be very happy if you do.

Airlines have had years to prepare for Brexit, and humans are generally pretty good at avoiding disasters that they've know about for years.

You assumption is wrong, since no one knows how the Brexit will look like. You might know that "the Deal" still needs to be accepted, which hasn't been the case yet. So, nothing concrete to prepare for.

My guess is that on Brexit day you won't even notice, save having to pass through an automated passport kiosk.

In case of a "No Deal" scenario, I bet against you ;-)

-- 

Robert M. Münch

http://www.saphirion.com

smarter | better | faster