Jul 22, 2001
Chris
Jul 21, 2001
Walter
Jul 21, 2001
Chris
July 20, 2001
Hi,

I'm having some trouble getting DM C++ going properly. I noticed that copying the CD over produced some read errors, and for some reason files went missing. I corrected that, and installed the latest update as well.

Next was the AppExpert, which complained that sct3d32.dll wasn't installed properly. The caption gave this one away, it is the ctl3d32 or dv2 variant, which must go in the windows system folder (unlike the normal 3d which can anywhere). Had to rename the one in the DM\BIN folder to dlo, to get rid of the error.

That is all minor, but the resource editor just blowing up is less trivial. I tried the rs32.new as the rs32.exe, and it complained about the smfc30.dll. the original one just says abnormal program termination when it opens a rc file written by the AppExpert. I tried it one some others, bit of hit and miss. Two questions, can anybody reproduce and can anybody offer solution. FYI, 98SE, +5GB free disk space on own partition, same config runs the old sc++.

Your help / advice is appreciated.

Chris
July 20, 2001
Don't use the .new file, it was a mistake to put it on, and was removed in later CD's. What exactly did you do to the sct3d32.dll to make it work for you?

Chris wrote in message <065fltgfskr7euk4hfs6012ffm7l97ito5@4ax.com>...
>Hi,
>
>I'm having some trouble getting DM C++ going properly. I noticed that copying the CD over produced some read errors, and for some reason files went missing. I corrected that, and installed the latest update as well.
>
>Next was the AppExpert, which complained that sct3d32.dll wasn't installed properly. The caption gave this one away, it is the ctl3d32 or dv2 variant, which must go in the windows system folder (unlike the normal 3d which can anywhere). Had to rename the one in the DM\BIN folder to dlo, to get rid of the error.
>
>That is all minor, but the resource editor just blowing up is less trivial. I tried the rs32.new as the rs32.exe, and it complained about the smfc30.dll. the original one just says abnormal program termination when it opens a rc file written by the AppExpert. I tried it one some others, bit of hit and miss. Two questions, can anybody reproduce and can anybody offer solution. FYI, 98SE, +5GB free disk space on own partition, same config runs the old sc++.
>
>Your help / advice is appreciated.
>
>Chris

July 20, 2001
On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 22:21:03 -0700, "Walter" <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote:

>Don't use the .new file, it was a mistake to put it on, and was removed in later CD's. What exactly did you do to the sct3d32.dll to make it work for you?
>

I copied it to to the windows system dir (I use 98SE) and then renamed it in the DM\BIN to something else than .DLL. That prevented the AppExpert from showing an error (I did seem to work, even when it said that the dll wasn't installed properly). It didn't stop the rs32.exe from bombing (old and new, both crash, although it looks like the new is an unhandled exception, and the old is trapping it. I'm currently not using the .new one though.

Chris

>Chris wrote in message <065fltgfskr7euk4hfs6012ffm7l97ito5@4ax.com>...
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm having some trouble getting DM C++ going properly. I noticed that copying the CD over produced some read errors, and for some reason files went missing. I corrected that, and installed the latest update as well.
>>
>>Next was the AppExpert, which complained that sct3d32.dll wasn't installed properly. The caption gave this one away, it is the ctl3d32 or dv2 variant, which must go in the windows system folder (unlike the normal 3d which can anywhere). Had to rename the one in the DM\BIN folder to dlo, to get rid of the error.
>>
>>That is all minor, but the resource editor just blowing up is less trivial. I tried the rs32.new as the rs32.exe, and it complained about the smfc30.dll. the original one just says abnormal program termination when it opens a rc file written by the AppExpert. I tried it one some others, bit of hit and miss. Two questions, can anybody reproduce and can anybody offer solution. FYI, 98SE, +5GB free disk space on own partition, same config runs the old sc++.
>>
>>Your help / advice is appreciated.
>>
>>Chris
>

July 20, 2001
I find this mysterious. The only requirement I know of on DLLs is that they reside on the PATH environment setting. I wonder if it's a 98SE thing.

Chris wrote in message <9tlfltc10s5pvdf09mfnk9ijfmmbrcu3o9@4ax.com>...
>On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 22:21:03 -0700, "Walter" <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote:
>
>>Don't use the .new file, it was a mistake to put it on, and was removed in later CD's. What exactly did you do to the sct3d32.dll to make it work for you?
>>
>
>I copied it to to the windows system dir (I use 98SE) and then renamed it in the DM\BIN to something else than .DLL. That prevented the AppExpert from showing an error (I did seem to work, even when it said that the dll wasn't installed properly). It didn't stop the rs32.exe from bombing (old and new, both crash, although it looks like the new is an unhandled exception, and the old is trapping it. I'm currently not using the .new one though.
>
>Chris
>
>>Chris wrote in message <065fltgfskr7euk4hfs6012ffm7l97ito5@4ax.com>...
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I'm having some trouble getting DM C++ going properly. I noticed that copying the CD over produced some read errors, and for some reason files went missing. I corrected that, and installed the latest update as well.
>>>
>>>Next was the AppExpert, which complained that sct3d32.dll wasn't
installed
>>>properly. The caption gave this one away, it is the ctl3d32 or dv2
variant,
>>>which must go in the windows system folder (unlike the normal 3d which
can
>>>anywhere). Had to rename the one in the DM\BIN folder to dlo, to get rid
of
>>>the error.
>>>
>>>That is all minor, but the resource editor just blowing up is less
trivial.
>>>I tried the rs32.new as the rs32.exe, and it complained about the smfc30.dll. the original one just says abnormal program termination when
it
>>>opens a rc file written by the AppExpert. I tried it one some others, bit of hit and miss. Two questions, can anybody reproduce and can anybody
offer
>>>solution. FYI, 98SE, +5GB free disk space on own partition, same config runs the old sc++.
>>>
>>>Your help / advice is appreciated.
>>>
>>>Chris
>>
>

July 20, 2001
Because this was just a faint memory, I've refreshed. The MS download ctl3d.exe contains a help file with the following:
>>
CTL3DV2.DLL: A New Version of CTL3D

Because there are a number of released applications that either don't do version checking or install CTL3D.DLL to the wrong directory, we have created a new version of CTL3D, CTL3DV2.DLL, that applications link to with the CTL3DV2.LIB file. This new DLL name makes it impossible for older versions of CTL3D.DLL (version 1.x) to affect applications using CTL3DV2.DLL.

Important

An application's installation program must install CTL3DV2.DLL in the Windows SYSTEM directory or, if running on a networked Windows installation, the Windows directory. CTL3DV2.DLL must not be installed in the application's own directory or any other directory.

CTL3DV2.DLL will not produce 3-D effects unless it is running from either
windows\system or the Windows directory. It is hoped this will encourage
developers to correctly install CTL3DV2.DLL with their applications. When
CTL3DV2.DLL is run from any other directory, it will display the following
message box:
<<
The message is a graphic, but is a messagebox that reads: "This application
uses CTL3D32.DLL, which has not been correctly installed.

The remedy is simple, move to the systemdir and prevent the one in the app dir from loading by renaming it.

Hope that clears it, but what about the resource editor, unlike some, I really like the IDDE, particulary for its ability to parse source code, but I really need to edit resources ;-)

Chris

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001 02:33:14 -0700, "Walter" <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote:

>I find this mysterious. The only requirement I know of on DLLs is that they reside on the PATH environment setting. I wonder if it's a 98SE thing.
>
>Chris wrote in message <9tlfltc10s5pvdf09mfnk9ijfmmbrcu3o9@4ax.com>...
>>On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 22:21:03 -0700, "Walter" <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Don't use the .new file, it was a mistake to put it on, and was removed in later CD's. What exactly did you do to the sct3d32.dll to make it work for you?
>>>
>>
>>I copied it to to the windows system dir (I use 98SE) and then renamed it in the DM\BIN to something else than .DLL. That prevented the AppExpert from showing an error (I did seem to work, even when it said that the dll wasn't installed properly). It didn't stop the rs32.exe from bombing (old and new, both crash, although it looks like the new is an unhandled exception, and the old is trapping it. I'm currently not using the .new one though.
>>
>>Chris
>>
>>>Chris wrote in message <065fltgfskr7euk4hfs6012ffm7l97ito5@4ax.com>...
>>>>Hi,
>>>>
>>>>I'm having some trouble getting DM C++ going properly. I noticed that copying the CD over produced some read errors, and for some reason files went missing. I corrected that, and installed the latest update as well.
>>>>
>>>>Next was the AppExpert, which complained that sct3d32.dll wasn't
>installed
>>>>properly. The caption gave this one away, it is the ctl3d32 or dv2
>variant,
>>>>which must go in the windows system folder (unlike the normal 3d which
>can
>>>>anywhere). Had to rename the one in the DM\BIN folder to dlo, to get rid
>of
>>>>the error.
>>>>
>>>>That is all minor, but the resource editor just blowing up is less
>trivial.
>>>>I tried the rs32.new as the rs32.exe, and it complained about the smfc30.dll. the original one just says abnormal program termination when
>it
>>>>opens a rc file written by the AppExpert. I tried it one some others, bit of hit and miss. Two questions, can anybody reproduce and can anybody
>offer
>>>>solution. FYI, 98SE, +5GB free disk space on own partition, same config runs the old sc++.
>>>>
>>>>Your help / advice is appreciated.
>>>>
>>>>Chris
>>>
>>
>

July 20, 2001
On Fri, 20 Jul 2001 23:10:03 +0200, Chris <chris@widdows.demon.nl> wrote:

Also, I've reloaded the resource editor files from SC++ 7.21, and they work fine.

Chris

>Because this was just a faint memory, I've refreshed. The MS download ctl3d.exe contains a help file with the following:
>>>
>CTL3DV2.DLL: A New Version of CTL3D
>
>Because there are a number of released applications that either don't do version checking or install CTL3D.DLL to the wrong directory, we have created a new version of CTL3D, CTL3DV2.DLL, that applications link to with the CTL3DV2.LIB file. This new DLL name makes it impossible for older versions of CTL3D.DLL (version 1.x) to affect applications using CTL3DV2.DLL.
>
>Important
>
>An application's installation program must install CTL3DV2.DLL in the Windows SYSTEM directory or, if running on a networked Windows installation, the Windows directory. CTL3DV2.DLL must not be installed in the application's own directory or any other directory.
>
>CTL3DV2.DLL will not produce 3-D effects unless it is running from either
>windows\system or the Windows directory. It is hoped this will encourage
>developers to correctly install CTL3DV2.DLL with their applications. When
>CTL3DV2.DLL is run from any other directory, it will display the following
>message box:
><<
>The message is a graphic, but is a messagebox that reads: "This application
>uses CTL3D32.DLL, which has not been correctly installed.
>
>The remedy is simple, move to the systemdir and prevent the one in the app dir from loading by renaming it.
>
>Hope that clears it, but what about the resource editor, unlike some, I really like the IDDE, particulary for its ability to parse source code, but I really need to edit resources ;-)
>
>Chris
>
>On Fri, 20 Jul 2001 02:33:14 -0700, "Walter" <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote:
>
>>I find this mysterious. The only requirement I know of on DLLs is that they reside on the PATH environment setting. I wonder if it's a 98SE thing.
>>
>>Chris wrote in message <9tlfltc10s5pvdf09mfnk9ijfmmbrcu3o9@4ax.com>...
>>>On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 22:21:03 -0700, "Walter" <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>>Don't use the .new file, it was a mistake to put it on, and was removed in later CD's. What exactly did you do to the sct3d32.dll to make it work for you?
>>>>
>>>
>>>I copied it to to the windows system dir (I use 98SE) and then renamed it in the DM\BIN to something else than .DLL. That prevented the AppExpert from showing an error (I did seem to work, even when it said that the dll wasn't installed properly). It didn't stop the rs32.exe from bombing (old and new, both crash, although it looks like the new is an unhandled exception, and the old is trapping it. I'm currently not using the .new one though.
>>>
>>>Chris
>>>
>>>>Chris wrote in message <065fltgfskr7euk4hfs6012ffm7l97ito5@4ax.com>...
>>>>>Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>>I'm having some trouble getting DM C++ going properly. I noticed that copying the CD over produced some read errors, and for some reason files went missing. I corrected that, and installed the latest update as well.
>>>>>
>>>>>Next was the AppExpert, which complained that sct3d32.dll wasn't
>>installed
>>>>>properly. The caption gave this one away, it is the ctl3d32 or dv2
>>variant,
>>>>>which must go in the windows system folder (unlike the normal 3d which
>>can
>>>>>anywhere). Had to rename the one in the DM\BIN folder to dlo, to get rid
>>of
>>>>>the error.
>>>>>
>>>>>That is all minor, but the resource editor just blowing up is less
>>trivial.
>>>>>I tried the rs32.new as the rs32.exe, and it complained about the smfc30.dll. the original one just says abnormal program termination when
>>it
>>>>>opens a rc file written by the AppExpert. I tried it one some others, bit of hit and miss. Two questions, can anybody reproduce and can anybody
>>offer
>>>>>solution. FYI, 98SE, +5GB free disk space on own partition, same config runs the old sc++.
>>>>>
>>>>>Your help / advice is appreciated.
>>>>>
>>>>>Chris
>>>>
>>>
>>

July 21, 2001
That is very useful information. Thanks!

Chris wrote in message ...
>On Fri, 20 Jul 2001 23:10:03 +0200, Chris <chris@widdows.demon.nl> wrote:
>
>Also, I've reloaded the resource editor files from SC++ 7.21, and they work fine.
>
>Chris
>
>>Because this was just a faint memory, I've refreshed. The MS download ctl3d.exe contains a help file with the following:
>>>>
>>CTL3DV2.DLL: A New Version of CTL3D
>>
>>Because there are a number of released applications that either don't do version checking or install CTL3D.DLL to the wrong directory, we have created a new version of CTL3D, CTL3DV2.DLL, that applications link to
with
>>the CTL3DV2.LIB file. This new DLL name makes it impossible for older versions of CTL3D.DLL (version 1.x) to affect applications using CTL3DV2.DLL.
>>
>>Important
>>
>>An application's installation program must install CTL3DV2.DLL in the Windows SYSTEM directory or, if running on a networked Windows installation, the Windows directory. CTL3DV2.DLL must not be installed in the application's own directory or any other directory.
>>
>>CTL3DV2.DLL will not produce 3-D effects unless it is running from either
>>windows\system or the Windows directory. It is hoped this will encourage
>>developers to correctly install CTL3DV2.DLL with their applications. When
>>CTL3DV2.DLL is run from any other directory, it will display the following
>>message box:
>><<
>>The message is a graphic, but is a messagebox that reads: "This
application
>>uses CTL3D32.DLL, which has not been correctly installed.
>>
>>The remedy is simple, move to the systemdir and prevent the one in the app dir from loading by renaming it.
>>
>>Hope that clears it, but what about the resource editor, unlike some, I really like the IDDE, particulary for its ability to parse source code,
but
>>I really need to edit resources ;-)
>>
>>Chris
>>
>>On Fri, 20 Jul 2001 02:33:14 -0700, "Walter" <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I find this mysterious. The only requirement I know of on DLLs is that
they
>>>reside on the PATH environment setting. I wonder if it's a 98SE thing.
>>>
>>>Chris wrote in message <9tlfltc10s5pvdf09mfnk9ijfmmbrcu3o9@4ax.com>...
>>>>On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 22:21:03 -0700, "Walter" <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>Don't use the .new file, it was a mistake to put it on, and was removed
in
>>>>>later CD's. What exactly did you do to the sct3d32.dll to make it work
for
>>>>>you?
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>I copied it to to the windows system dir (I use 98SE) and then renamed
it
>>>>in the DM\BIN to something else than .DLL. That prevented the AppExpert from showing an error (I did seem to work, even when it said that the
dll
>>>>wasn't installed properly). It didn't stop the rs32.exe from bombing
(old
>>>>and new, both crash, although it looks like the new is an unhandled exception, and the old is trapping it. I'm currently not using the .new
one
>>>>though.
>>>>
>>>>Chris
>>>>
>>>>>Chris wrote in message <065fltgfskr7euk4hfs6012ffm7l97ito5@4ax.com>...
>>>>>>Hi,
>>>>>>
>>>>>>I'm having some trouble getting DM C++ going properly. I noticed that copying the CD over produced some read errors, and for some reason
files
>>>>>>went missing. I corrected that, and installed the latest update as
well.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>Next was the AppExpert, which complained that sct3d32.dll wasn't
>>>installed
>>>>>>properly. The caption gave this one away, it is the ctl3d32 or dv2
>>>variant,
>>>>>>which must go in the windows system folder (unlike the normal 3d which
>>>can
>>>>>>anywhere). Had to rename the one in the DM\BIN folder to dlo, to get
rid
>>>of
>>>>>>the error.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>That is all minor, but the resource editor just blowing up is less
>>>trivial.
>>>>>>I tried the rs32.new as the rs32.exe, and it complained about the smfc30.dll. the original one just says abnormal program termination
when
>>>it
>>>>>>opens a rc file written by the AppExpert. I tried it one some others,
bit
>>>>>>of hit and miss. Two questions, can anybody reproduce and can anybody
>>>offer
>>>>>>solution. FYI, 98SE, +5GB free disk space on own partition, same
config
>>>>>>runs the old sc++.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>Your help / advice is appreciated.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>Chris
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>

July 21, 2001
I tried hard NOT to install anything in the system directories, and then MS does this :-(

Thanks for the heads up on it.

-Walter

Chris wrote in message ...
>Because this was just a faint memory, I've refreshed. The MS download ctl3d.exe contains a help file with the following:
>>>
>CTL3DV2.DLL: A New Version of CTL3D
>
>Because there are a number of released applications that either don't do version checking or install CTL3D.DLL to the wrong directory, we have created a new version of CTL3D, CTL3DV2.DLL, that applications link to with the CTL3DV2.LIB file. This new DLL name makes it impossible for older versions of CTL3D.DLL (version 1.x) to affect applications using CTL3DV2.DLL.
>
>Important
>
>An application's installation program must install CTL3DV2.DLL in the Windows SYSTEM directory or, if running on a networked Windows installation, the Windows directory. CTL3DV2.DLL must not be installed in the application's own directory or any other directory.
>
>CTL3DV2.DLL will not produce 3-D effects unless it is running from either
>windows\system or the Windows directory. It is hoped this will encourage
>developers to correctly install CTL3DV2.DLL with their applications. When
>CTL3DV2.DLL is run from any other directory, it will display the following
>message box:
><<
>The message is a graphic, but is a messagebox that reads: "This application
>uses CTL3D32.DLL, which has not been correctly installed.
>
>The remedy is simple, move to the systemdir and prevent the one in the app dir from loading by renaming it.
>
>Hope that clears it, but what about the resource editor, unlike some, I really like the IDDE, particulary for its ability to parse source code, but I really need to edit resources ;-)
>
>Chris
>
>On Fri, 20 Jul 2001 02:33:14 -0700, "Walter" <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote:
>
>>I find this mysterious. The only requirement I know of on DLLs is that
they
>>reside on the PATH environment setting. I wonder if it's a 98SE thing.
>>
>>Chris wrote in message <9tlfltc10s5pvdf09mfnk9ijfmmbrcu3o9@4ax.com>...
>>>On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 22:21:03 -0700, "Walter" <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>>Don't use the .new file, it was a mistake to put it on, and was removed
in
>>>>later CD's. What exactly did you do to the sct3d32.dll to make it work
for
>>>>you?
>>>>
>>>
>>>I copied it to to the windows system dir (I use 98SE) and then renamed it in the DM\BIN to something else than .DLL. That prevented the AppExpert from showing an error (I did seem to work, even when it said that the dll wasn't installed properly). It didn't stop the rs32.exe from bombing (old and new, both crash, although it looks like the new is an unhandled exception, and the old is trapping it. I'm currently not using the .new
one
>>>though.
>>>
>>>Chris
>>>
>>>>Chris wrote in message <065fltgfskr7euk4hfs6012ffm7l97ito5@4ax.com>...
>>>>>Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>>I'm having some trouble getting DM C++ going properly. I noticed that copying the CD over produced some read errors, and for some reason
files
>>>>>went missing. I corrected that, and installed the latest update as
well.
>>>>>
>>>>>Next was the AppExpert, which complained that sct3d32.dll wasn't
>>installed
>>>>>properly. The caption gave this one away, it is the ctl3d32 or dv2
>>variant,
>>>>>which must go in the windows system folder (unlike the normal 3d which
>>can
>>>>>anywhere). Had to rename the one in the DM\BIN folder to dlo, to get
rid
>>of
>>>>>the error.
>>>>>
>>>>>That is all minor, but the resource editor just blowing up is less
>>trivial.
>>>>>I tried the rs32.new as the rs32.exe, and it complained about the smfc30.dll. the original one just says abnormal program termination
when
>>it
>>>>>opens a rc file written by the AppExpert. I tried it one some others,
bit
>>>>>of hit and miss. Two questions, can anybody reproduce and can anybody
>>offer
>>>>>solution. FYI, 98SE, +5GB free disk space on own partition, same config runs the old sc++.
>>>>>
>>>>>Your help / advice is appreciated.
>>>>>
>>>>>Chris
>>>>
>>>
>>
>

July 21, 2001
On Fri, 20 Jul 2001 21:32:43 -0700, "Walter" <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote:

Just to bring you up to date, the resource editor doesn't work by just copying the rs32.exe and rs..32.dll's over. It also need the smfc30.dll and smfco30.dll.

Without those, it bombs, differently than the newer one, but still. When you copy the smfc30.dll over on its own, the resource editor will work, but crash on program exit !?!, which is prevented by also copying the smfco30.dll over.

Can this influence any other programs, using the smfc30.dll and smfco30.dll of the SC++ 7.21 version? I'd like to that using the 7.5 versions as well, but unfortunatly that means reinstalling, as the CD-ROM cannot read in the 'uncompressed' part of the CD.

I also found out that using a CD-R to read the CD helps, whereas I got some corrupted files using the CD-ROM, the CD-R did it all correctly, must laser or speed related.

One last question, when the IDDE invoke the resource editor, it seems to wielding some special stuff, because when I invoke the resource editor on its own, it starts using resource.k instead of resource.h and sometimes has trouble finding pre-defined symbols. In the past I've used the resource editor for my Watcom C++ as well (theirs is pretty horrible), and found it hard to make fit. The DMC++ IDDE has no trouble, so are ways to steer the resource editor?

Regards, Chris
>That is very useful information. Thanks!
>
>Chris wrote in message ...
>>On Fri, 20 Jul 2001 23:10:03 +0200, Chris <chris@widdows.demon.nl> wrote:
>>
>>Also, I've reloaded the resource editor files from SC++ 7.21, and they work fine.
>>
>>Chris
>>

July 21, 2001
On Fri, 20 Jul 2001 21:33:40 -0700, "Walter" <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote:

I suppose you could use CTL3D, which is allowed in the program dir, using the same naming prefix, it is the DLL checking its own location.

Chris

>I tried hard NOT to install anything in the system directories, and then MS does this :-(
>
>Thanks for the heads up on it.
>
>-Walter
>
>Chris wrote in message ...
>>Because this was just a faint memory, I've refreshed. The MS download ctl3d.exe contains a help file with the following:
>>>>
>>CTL3DV2.DLL: A New Version of CTL3D
>>
>>Because there are a number of released applications that either don't do version checking or install CTL3D.DLL to the wrong directory, we have created a new version of CTL3D, CTL3DV2.DLL, that applications link to with the CTL3DV2.LIB file. This new DLL name makes it impossible for older versions of CTL3D.DLL (version 1.x) to affect applications using CTL3DV2.DLL.
>>
>>Important
>>
>>An application's installation program must install CTL3DV2.DLL in the Windows SYSTEM directory or, if running on a networked Windows installation, the Windows directory. CTL3DV2.DLL must not be installed in the application's own directory or any other directory.
>>
>>CTL3DV2.DLL will not produce 3-D effects unless it is running from either
>>windows\system or the Windows directory. It is hoped this will encourage
>>developers to correctly install CTL3DV2.DLL with their applications. When
>>CTL3DV2.DLL is run from any other directory, it will display the following
>>message box:
>><<
>>The message is a graphic, but is a messagebox that reads: "This application
>>uses CTL3D32.DLL, which has not been correctly installed.
>>
>>The remedy is simple, move to the systemdir and prevent the one in the app dir from loading by renaming it.
>>
>>Hope that clears it, but what about the resource editor, unlike some, I really like the IDDE, particulary for its ability to parse source code, but I really need to edit resources ;-)
>>
>>Chris
>>
>>On Fri, 20 Jul 2001 02:33:14 -0700, "Walter" <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I find this mysterious. The only requirement I know of on DLLs is that
>they
>>>reside on the PATH environment setting. I wonder if it's a 98SE thing.
>>>
>>>Chris wrote in message <9tlfltc10s5pvdf09mfnk9ijfmmbrcu3o9@4ax.com>...
>>>>On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 22:21:03 -0700, "Walter" <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>Don't use the .new file, it was a mistake to put it on, and was removed
>in
>>>>>later CD's. What exactly did you do to the sct3d32.dll to make it work
>for
>>>>>you?
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>I copied it to to the windows system dir (I use 98SE) and then renamed it in the DM\BIN to something else than .DLL. That prevented the AppExpert from showing an error (I did seem to work, even when it said that the dll wasn't installed properly). It didn't stop the rs32.exe from bombing (old and new, both crash, although it looks like the new is an unhandled exception, and the old is trapping it. I'm currently not using the .new
>one
>>>>though.
>>>>
>>>>Chris
>>>>
>>>>>Chris wrote in message <065fltgfskr7euk4hfs6012ffm7l97ito5@4ax.com>...
>>>>>>Hi,
>>>>>>
>>>>>>I'm having some trouble getting DM C++ going properly. I noticed that copying the CD over produced some read errors, and for some reason
>files
>>>>>>went missing. I corrected that, and installed the latest update as
>well.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>Next was the AppExpert, which complained that sct3d32.dll wasn't
>>>installed
>>>>>>properly. The caption gave this one away, it is the ctl3d32 or dv2
>>>variant,
>>>>>>which must go in the windows system folder (unlike the normal 3d which
>>>can
>>>>>>anywhere). Had to rename the one in the DM\BIN folder to dlo, to get
>rid
>>>of
>>>>>>the error.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>That is all minor, but the resource editor just blowing up is less
>>>trivial.
>>>>>>I tried the rs32.new as the rs32.exe, and it complained about the smfc30.dll. the original one just says abnormal program termination
>when
>>>it
>>>>>>opens a rc file written by the AppExpert. I tried it one some others,
>bit
>>>>>>of hit and miss. Two questions, can anybody reproduce and can anybody
>>>offer
>>>>>>solution. FYI, 98SE, +5GB free disk space on own partition, same config runs the old sc++.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>Your help / advice is appreciated.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>Chris
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>
>

« First   ‹ Prev
1 2