View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
February 03, 2012
Gdc & avr
Is it possible to compile for avr (atmel) platform using gdc? It would
be interesting for arduino development...
February 03, 2012
Re: Gdc & avr
On 03-02-2012 09:47, Andrea Fontana wrote:
> Is it possible to compile for avr (atmel) platform using gdc? It would
> be interesting for arduino development...

Not currently. We don't even have a standard version identifier for that 
platform.

--
- Alex
February 03, 2012
Re: Gdc & avr
How much work is needed to support atmel in your opinion?

Il giorno ven, 03/02/2012 alle 10.40 +0100, Alex Rønne Petersen ha
scritto:

> On 03-02-2012 09:47, Andrea Fontana wrote:
> > Is it possible to compile for avr (atmel) platform using gdc? It would
> > be interesting for arduino development...
> 
> Not currently. We don't even have a standard version identifier for that 
> platform.
> 
> --
> - Alex
February 03, 2012
Re: Gdc & avr
On 03-02-2012 11:33, Andrea Fontana wrote:
> How much work is needed to support atmel in your opinion?
>
> Il giorno ven, 03/02/2012 alle 10.40 +0100, Alex Rønne Petersen ha scritto:
>> On 03-02-2012 09:47, Andrea Fontana wrote:
>> >  Is it possible to compile for avr (atmel) platform using gdc? It would
>> >  be interesting for arduino development...
>>
>> Not currently. We don't even have a standard version identifier for that
>> platform.
>>
>> --
>> - Alex
>

I'm not really qualified to say. Iain?

--
- Alex
February 03, 2012
Re: Gdc & avr
"Andrea Fontana" <advmail@katamail.com> wrote:
>Is it possible to compile for avr (atmel) platform using gdc? It would be interesting for arduino development... 

AVR is 8-bit harward architecture while D is designed for at least 32 bits. Besides that AVR's have from (less then 1) to (a few) kB of RAM so it needs another standard library with no GC. Guess that's a lot of work, so don't expect it any time soon even if someone will try to implement it.
February 03, 2012
Re: Gdc & avr
On 3 February 2012 13:34, Alex_Dovhal <alex_dovhal@yahoo.com> wrote:

> **
> "Andrea Fontana" <advmail@katamail.com> wrote:
> >Is it possible to compile for avr (atmel) platform using gdc? It would be
> interesting for arduino development...
>
> AVR is 8-bit harward architecture while D is designed for at least 32
> bits. Besides that AVR's have from (less then 1) to (a few) kB of RAM so it
> needs another standard library with no GC. Guess that's a lot of work, so
> don't expect it any time soon even if someone will try to implement it.
>

I think you'll find that most arduino projects are using a much more
capable avr chip, probably avr32 chips.
I wouldn't expect D will ever work well on 16bit microcontrollers, but on
32bit avr's I can't see any reason from my (limited) experience why the
toolchain wouldn't just build and work out of the box (at least under
linux).
You'll basically need to write the runtime yourself. If you avoid the GC
and OS stuff, you can basically stub out phobos, and you might be able to
run raw code quite easily...
February 03, 2012
Re: Gdc & avr
There are 32 bit avrs.  Search for 'AVR32'.
 "Alex_Dovhal" <alex_dovhal@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:jgggnk$2vev$1@digitalmars.com...
 "Andrea Fontana" <advmail@katamail.com> wrote:
 >Is it possible to compile for avr (atmel) platform using gdc? It would be interesting for arduino development... 

 AVR is 8-bit harward architecture while D is designed for at least 32 bits. Besides that AVR's have from (less then 1) to (a few) kB of RAM so it needs another standard library with no GC. Guess that's a lot of work, so don't expect it any time soon even if someone will try to implement it.
February 03, 2012
Re: Gdc & avr
Atmel also Arm based 32bit microcontrollers

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 9:44 PM, Daniel Murphy <yebblies@nospamgmail.com>wrote:

> **
> There are 32 bit avrs.  Search for 'AVR32'.
>
> "Alex_Dovhal" <alex_dovhal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:jgggnk$2vev$1@digitalmars.com...
> "Andrea Fontana" <advmail@katamail.com> wrote:
> >Is it possible to compile for avr (atmel) platform using gdc? It would be
> interesting for arduino development...
>
> AVR is 8-bit harward architecture while D is designed for at least 32
> bits. Besides that AVR's have from (less then 1) to (a few) kB of RAM so it
> needs another standard library with no GC. Guess that's a lot of work, so
> don't expect it any time soon even if someone will try to implement it.
>
>
February 03, 2012
Re: Gdc & avr
also do Arm based 32bit microcontrollers...

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 10:10 PM, Danni Coy <danni.coy@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Atmel also Arm based 32bit microcontrollers
>
>
February 03, 2012
Re: Gdc & avr
>"Manu" <turkeyman@gmail.com> wrote:
>I think you'll find that most arduino projects are using a much more 
>capable avr chip, probably avr32 chips.
Never actually used arduino, but it's site and wikipedia mentiones 8-bit 
devices http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arduino .
Here also http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Hardware - all PCB contain 8-bit 
devices.
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2 3 4
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home