View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
December 12, 2008
Using DMD's -v to build dependencies
After some twitting ;) here's my Windows shell script (a .cmd file)
which can effectively replace bud/rebuild in some simple cases.  This
script makes use of GNU grep and sed.  Both are available from GnuWin32
or Cygwin or as separate ports.

file "sbd.cmd"
---8<-------------------
:: Build a D program including any dependencies
:: 2008, Sergey 'SnakE' Gromov <snake.scaly@gmail.com>

@echo off
setlocal

if "%1" == "" (
 echo Build a D program with all dependencies
 echo Usage: %0 master [options]
 echo   master   master source, root of the import hierarchy
 echo   options  any options are forwarded to DMD
 exit /b 1
)

set DEP=dependencies.tmp

:: generate dependencies
dmd %* -c -o- -v | grep "^import" | grep -v "phobos\|tango\|\.di)" | sed "s/^.*(\(.*\)).*$/\1/" > %DEP%

:: compile
dmd %* @%DEP% || goto error

:: cleanup
del %DEP%
exit /b 0

:error
del %DEP%
exit /b 1
---8<-------------------
December 12, 2008
Re: Using DMD's -v to build dependencies
So how fast is dmd -o-?  Does this pretty much double the compile time?
An option to reuse a previously generated .deps might be nice.

--bb

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 7:18 AM, Sergey Gromov <snake.scaly@gmail.com> wrote:
> After some twitting ;) here's my Windows shell script (a .cmd file)
> which can effectively replace bud/rebuild in some simple cases.  This
> script makes use of GNU grep and sed.  Both are available from GnuWin32
> or Cygwin or as separate ports.
>
> file "sbd.cmd"
> ---8<-------------------
> :: Build a D program including any dependencies
> :: 2008, Sergey 'SnakE' Gromov <snake.scaly@gmail.com>
>
> @echo off
> setlocal
>
> if "%1" == "" (
>  echo Build a D program with all dependencies
>  echo Usage: %0 master [options]
>  echo   master   master source, root of the import hierarchy
>  echo   options  any options are forwarded to DMD
>  exit /b 1
> )
>
> set DEP=dependencies.tmp
>
> :: generate dependencies
> dmd %* -c -o- -v | grep "^import" | grep -v "phobos\|tango\|\.di)" | sed "s/^.*(\(.*\)).*$/\1/" > %DEP%
>
> :: compile
> dmd %* @%DEP% || goto error
>
> :: cleanup
> del %DEP%
> exit /b 0
>
> :error
> del %DEP%
> exit /b 1
> ---8<-------------------
>
December 13, 2008
Re: Using DMD's -v to build dependencies
Sat, 13 Dec 2008 07:37:18 +0900, Bill Baxter wrote:

> So how fast is dmd -o-?  Does this pretty much double the compile time?
> An option to reuse a previously generated .deps might be nice.

Here's the benchmark.

I'm compiling dwt-samples\examples\helloworld\HelloWorld5.d from dwt
trunk rev. 119, without any pre-compilation.  The system is a 1.83 GHz
Core2 Duo notebook under Win XP.  The compiler is DMD 1.033/Tango.

The -c -o- -v stage takes 0.97 seconds (best of five, all files in
memory, no swap).  The result is a list of 202 files in win-dwt.  That's
more than a half of dwt (357 .d files).

The actual build phase takes 3.27 seconds, best of five, etc.  The
result is a working 1.7 MB executable.

So the -v phase is at least 3 times faster than the actual compilation.
Also note that in -o- mode the compiler misses some semantic errors
which means it doesn't do full analysis.
December 13, 2008
Re: Using DMD's -v to build dependencies
Excellent, thanks for collecting and reporting that data, Sergey.

So it's not too bad, but still that says to me that caching
dependencies would be beneficial for bigger programs.  But anyway, you
it would certainly be hard to beat your script in terms of simplicity.

Cached dependencies can be left as an exercise for the reader.  :-)

--bb

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 3:35 AM, Sergey Gromov <snake.scaly@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sat, 13 Dec 2008 07:37:18 +0900, Bill Baxter wrote:
>
>> So how fast is dmd -o-?  Does this pretty much double the compile time?
>> An option to reuse a previously generated .deps might be nice.
>
> Here's the benchmark.
>
> I'm compiling dwt-samples\examples\helloworld\HelloWorld5.d from dwt
> trunk rev. 119, without any pre-compilation.  The system is a 1.83 GHz
> Core2 Duo notebook under Win XP.  The compiler is DMD 1.033/Tango.
>
> The -c -o- -v stage takes 0.97 seconds (best of five, all files in
> memory, no swap).  The result is a list of 202 files in win-dwt.  That's
> more than a half of dwt (357 .d files).
>
> The actual build phase takes 3.27 seconds, best of five, etc.  The
> result is a working 1.7 MB executable.
>
> So the -v phase is at least 3 times faster than the actual compilation.
> Also note that in -o- mode the compiler misses some semantic errors
> which means it doesn't do full analysis.
>
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home