January 31, 2012
On 30/01/2012 02:24, H. S. Teoh wrote:
<snip>
> And I'd love to have my integer set class
> be able to use ∪ and ∩ instead of verbose operations like x.union(y) and
> x.intersection(y).
<snip>

My utility library uses | and &.  Think of the possible values of the type you're creating a set of as being like the bits of a number, and then it makes sense.

Stewart.
January 31, 2012
On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 02:43:57AM +0000, Stewart Gordon wrote:
> On 30/01/2012 02:24, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> <snip>
> >And I'd love to have my integer set class
> >be able to use ∪ and ∩ instead of verbose operations like x.union(y) and
> >x.intersection(y).
> <snip>
> 
> My utility library uses | and &.  Think of the possible values of the type you're creating a set of as being like the bits of a number, and then it makes sense.
[...]

Funny you should mention that; my integer set class represents set members as bits, and set operations are implemented as bitwise operations. :)

Still, though, it'd be nice to have actual set notation. But I was only being half-serious.

T

-- 
BREAKFAST.COM halted...Cereal Port Not Responding. -- YHL
January 31, 2012
On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 21:20:01 +0100, Timon Gehr wrote:

> On 01/29/2012 08:26 PM, Marco Leise wrote:
>> Am 29.01.2012, 16:23 Uhr, schrieb Trass3r <un@known.com>:
>>
>>>> Am I mistaken? If no, am I missing some major spaces advantages? If no, lets use tabs. Perhaps, there is no tool that will convert (convert right, not somehow, see article) tabs<->spaces in D code.
>>>
>>> There wouldn't be any problem if people were able to use tabs for indentation and spaces for alignment, i.e. in cases like if (cond1 && cond2)
>>>
>>> But people are dumb and many project leaders "take no risks" and require spaces everywhere instead of doing it properly.
>>
>> If it cheers you up, I use that style. Once you get used to 'smart tabs' it is like using spaces. Just now and then I catch myself using tabs on the alignment for local variable comments:
>>
>> int foo; // does something (tabs)
>> int bar; // something else (spaces)
>>
>> Then again "tabs for indentation only" is a simple rule, that would have turned the tabs into spaces in this example - if editors supported it.
> 
> *Real* editors can be configured to support smart tabs.

So a butterfly.

-- 
Yep, I'm afraid that I have a blog : zardoz.es
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Next ›   Last »