Exil
May 15, 2019
H. S. Teoh
May 15, 2019
Seb
May 15, 2019
H. S. Teoh
May 14, 2019
On Sun, May 05, 2019 at 11:18:43AM +0200, Rainer Schuetze via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 03/05/2019 01:57, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > After updating my dmd toolchain to the latest git master today, I started getting strange random program lockups.  At first I thought it was caused by passing the wrong druntime options (--DRT-*) that's incompatible with the latest druntime, but then I started seeing messages of this sort:
> > 
> > 	core.sync.exception.SyncError@(0): Unable to unlock mutex.
> > 
> > The program in question uses std.parallelism.parallel to parallelize a bunch of I/O-heavy tasks.  It has been working fine for many months now.  Did something break recently in std.parallelism or the core.sync.* utilities that it presumably uses under the hood?
> 
> Parallel marking by the GC has recently been merged into master which might create a couple of extra threads. Is this causing the failures? Please try disabling it with --DRT-gcopt=parallel:0

Turns out, this problem is quite elusive.  Running it with --DRT-gcopt=parallel:0 *seems* to make the problem go away, but it's hard to tell because sometimes it takes 10-20 trials before a lockup happens, so I'm not 100% confident --DRT-gcopt=parallel:0 fixes the problem -- I might have just gotten lucky so far.  But at least, I've yet to see a lockup with it, whereas I've seen a few lockups when running without it, so perhaps this is the problem?

I wish I could narrow it down, but it's going to be hard because it's so unpredictable -- I couldn't use dustmite to reduce the code since the problem can't be reliably reproduced.

T

-- 
It is not the employer who pays the wages. Employers only handle the money. It is the customer who pays the wages. -- Henry Ford
May 15, 2019
On Wednesday, 15 May 2019 at 00:17:26 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Sun, May 05, 2019 at 11:18:43AM +0200, Rainer Schuetze via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On 03/05/2019 01:57, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> > After updating my dmd toolchain to the latest git master today, I started getting strange random program lockups.  At first I thought it was caused by passing the wrong druntime options (--DRT-*) that's incompatible with the latest druntime, but then I started seeing messages of this sort:
>> > 
>> > 	core.sync.exception.SyncError@(0): Unable to unlock mutex.
>> > 
>> > The program in question uses std.parallelism.parallel to parallelize a bunch of I/O-heavy tasks.  It has been working fine for many months now.  Did something break recently in std.parallelism or the core.sync.* utilities that it presumably uses under the hood?
>> 
>> Parallel marking by the GC has recently been merged into master which might create a couple of extra threads. Is this causing the failures? Please try disabling it with --DRT-gcopt=parallel:0
>
> Turns out, this problem is quite elusive.  Running it with --DRT-gcopt=parallel:0 *seems* to make the problem go away, but it's hard to tell because sometimes it takes 10-20 trials before a lockup happens, so I'm not 100% confident --DRT-gcopt=parallel:0 fixes the problem -- I might have just gotten lucky so far.  But at least, I've yet to see a lockup with it, whereas I've seen a few lockups when running without it, so perhaps this is the problem?
>
> I wish I could narrow it down, but it's going to be hard because it's so unpredictable -- I couldn't use dustmite to reduce the code since the problem can't be reliably reproduced.
>
>
> T

It's hard to follow your posts, they are creating new threads instead of being in the thread you are replying to.
May 14, 2019
On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 01:09:39AM +0000, Exil via Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]
> It's hard to follow your posts, they are creating new threads instead of being in the thread you are replying to.

It's not a problem on my end, the problem is the Mailman gateway that interfaces with the NNTP server.  It's not translating the message IDs correctly.  Please file a bug against Mailman.

T

-- 
Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence. -- Napoleon Bonaparte
May 15, 2019
On Wednesday, 15 May 2019 at 05:39:53 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 01:09:39AM +0000, Exil via Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]
>> It's hard to follow your posts, they are creating new threads instead of being in the thread you are replying to.
>
> It's not a problem on my end, the problem is the Mailman gateway that interfaces with the NNTP server.  It's not translating the message IDs correctly.  Please file a bug against Mailman.
>
>
> T

For references:

https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/issues/99

Though of course you could just switch from the mailing list to the forum or NNTP.
May 15, 2019
On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 05:48:06AM +0000, Seb via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Wednesday, 15 May 2019 at 05:39:53 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 01:09:39AM +0000, Exil via Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]
> > > It's hard to follow your posts, they are creating new threads instead of being in the thread you are replying to.
> > 
> > It's not a problem on my end, the problem is the Mailman gateway that interfaces with the NNTP server.  It's not translating the message IDs correctly.  Please file a bug against Mailman.
[...]
> For references:
> 
> https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed/issues/99
> 
> Though of course you could just switch from the mailing list to the forum or NNTP.

It's an added burden to use a different MUA just for NNTP, or to use the inefficient resource hog of a browser just for this.  Since the mailing list is an "officially" supported interface, it's technically not really *my* responsibility to fix a problem in software that isn't under my control.

T

-- 
Error: Keyboard not attached. Press F1 to continue. -- Yoon Ha Lee, CONLANG