January 03, 2007
Jeff wrote:
> I am not very impressed by Python's docs.  The best docs that I've seen are the PHP docs because of commenting and excellent examples.

The user comment thing is very good. That's why all the D documentation pages have a wiki comment link in them.
January 05, 2007
Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email) wrote:
> Say you wanted to introduce a programmer friend to D. She might know one of D's sibling languages (Java, C, C++, or C#), but you shouldn't rely too much on that. What features of D would you describe first to hook that friend in?
> 
> Andrei

Let me put it this way.  I was coding in C# the other day and I was so frustrated with the arrays.  They are not standardized.  There seems to be about 10 different ways to specifying arrays (note that I'm including net).

Some use count and others use length.  Some are fixed size and others arn't.  Some can be allocated at a particular size on the fly but then you can't change it without creating a brand new array.  It took my an hour to work out how to convert an ArrayList to an ViewItem[] list because it uses a completely un-logical mechanism.

Also most net classes still haven't adopted templates so your left with these horrible un-typesafe objects which you can only figure out at run time (if your lucky).  Granted D doesn't even have anything like net, but I doubt it will be anywhere near as bad with standardized arrays.

std in C++ is better but u still get the same problem as many libs what to implement there own type.

-Joel
January 11, 2007
In article <enh2t0$15pk$1@digitaldaemon.com>, newshound@digitalmars.com says...
> The user comment thing is very good. That's why all the D documentation pages have a wiki comment link in them.

Huh. I've been using those docs for months, and I never even noticed those buttons up there. That's pretty cool.

TK
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Next ›   Last »