>>> under DLLs
>>>
>> DLLs are broken in general. There are many more problems associated
>> with them, and you won't be happy with them. I write all my code with
>> the assumption in mind, that TypeInfos/ClassInfos for the same type
>> always are the same instance.
>>
> 
> On second pass, even putting DLLs aside, I can't count on typeinfo being the same in both sides because I can't even count on them being in the same process, exe or even under the same compiler, OS or CPU.

For that, you had to write the TypeInfo pointer into the serialized data stream, which obviously is not going to work. Obviously, you need some type identification, which is independent from the compiled program binary.

But in-memory, using TypeInfo/ClassInfo as unique identifier is no problem. Except if you somehow got 2 or more D runtimes in your process. That's only possible when using the broken DLL support. Use DDL instead.

> Can you get the mangled name of an object instance at runtime via typeinfo?

Not that I know of. IMHO, ClassInfo.name() is good enough.

But if you don't like it, just keep using mangleof. You obviously have compile time access to the serializeable type, e.g.:

char[][ClassInfo] TypeMangledNames;

template SerializeMixin() {
   static this() {
      TypeMangledNames[typeof(this).classinfo] = typeof(this).mangleof;
   }
}
June 18, 2009
Reply to grauzone,

>> Can you get the mangled name of an object instance at runtime via
>> typeinfo?
>> 
> Not that I know of. IMHO, ClassInfo.name() is good enough.
> 
> But if you don't like it, just keep using mangleof. You obviously have
> compile time access to the serializeable type, e.g.:
> 
> char[][ClassInfo] TypeMangledNames;
> 
> template SerializeMixin() {
> static this() { TypeMangledNames[typeof(this).classinfo] = typeof(this).mangleof; 
}
> }
> 

I'm looking at what it would take to get by without a mixin in the types (someone objected to that) without loosing anything I want. with a mixin in the class, I've already got a solution.

June 18, 2009
> I'm looking at what it would take to get by without a mixin in the types (someone objected to that) without loosing anything I want. with a mixin in the class, I've already got a solution.

Though I never questioned that you do need compile time access to the serialized code, and that (at least if you don't want to force the user to implement interfaces) some code knowing the static type must be run at initialization.
1 2 3 4 5
Next ›   Last »