Thread overview
String import an entire directory
Nov 13
crimaniak
November 11
At my job, I put together a database migration tool for our services. It scans for resources in your JAR file with an appropriate path, interprets them as SQL scripts, and applies them to the database if it hasn't been done yet.

I want to implement this in D. However, while D allows you to import individual files, it doesn't let you import an entire directory.

I can make a prebuild script to generate code for this, but I'm wondering: do other people find themselves needing this periodically? If so, I can write a DIP for it, or at least publish a codegen tool that other people can use.
November 11
On Saturday, November 11, 2017 14:11:50 Neia Neutuladh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> At my job, I put together a database migration tool for our services. It scans for resources in your JAR file with an appropriate path, interprets them as SQL scripts, and applies them to the database if it hasn't been done yet.
>
> I want to implement this in D. However, while D allows you to import individual files, it doesn't let you import an entire directory.
>
> I can make a prebuild script to generate code for this, but I'm wondering: do other people find themselves needing this periodically? If so, I can write a DIP for it, or at least publish a codegen tool that other people can use.

You could always generate a file with the list of files that you want to import and then use that to generate the import statements to import each file. If you're already doing something to generate all of these files to import, I wouldn't think that it take much to just generate a file with the list of files while you're at it.

- Jonathan M Davis

November 11
On Saturday, 11 November 2017 at 15:00:03 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> You could always generate a file with the list of files that you want to import and then use that to generate the import statements to import each file.

That's exactly what I was talking about doing. I guess I need to work on my communication skills?
November 11
On Saturday, November 11, 2017 15:35:23 Neia Neutuladh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Saturday, 11 November 2017 at 15:00:03 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
>
> wrote:
> > You could always generate a file with the list of files that you want to import and then use that to generate the import statements to import each file.
>
> That's exactly what I was talking about doing. I guess I need to work on my communication skills?

Well, it seemed to me that your e-mail implied that you were talking about generating code with an external script rather than simply importing a file with the list of files to import, but you weren't very specific about what your workaround for not being able to import all of the files in a directory with an import declaration was.

Personally, I've never even used the ability to import the text of a file, let alone needed to import a bunch of files. So, I have no idea how common what you're trying to do is, but it does seem to me that it would be easy to work around the issue of not being able to import a directory.

- Jonathan M Davis

November 13
On Saturday, 11 November 2017 at 14:11:50 UTC, Neia Neutuladh wrote:
> I can make a prebuild script to generate code for this, but I'm wondering: do other people find themselves needing this periodically? If so, I can write a DIP for it, or at least publish a codegen tool that other people can use.
 Yes, sometimes it's good to have more extended imports and compile-time possibilities to avoid tweaking dub build process, but I think, for current time language has a lot of more actual issues so it's better to leave this task for external tools.

November 13
On Saturday, 11 November 2017 at 14:11:50 UTC, Neia Neutuladh wrote:
> At my job, I put together a database migration tool for our services. It scans for resources in your JAR file with an appropriate path, interprets them as SQL scripts, and applies them to the database if it hasn't been done yet.
>
> I want to implement this in D. However, while D allows you to import individual files, it doesn't let you import an entire directory.
>
> I can make a prebuild script to generate code for this, but I'm wondering: do other people find themselves needing this periodically? If so, I can write a DIP for it, or at least publish a codegen tool that other people can use.

Why do you want to import files at compile time? Why can't it be done in run time, by simply reading directory with dirEntries and opening std.stdio.File for each one?
November 13
On Monday, 13 November 2017 at 09:27:10 UTC, Adrian Matoga wrote:
> On Saturday, 11 November 2017 at 14:11:50 UTC, Neia Neutuladh wrote:
>> At my job, I put together a database migration tool for our services. It scans for resources in your JAR file with an appropriate path, interprets them as SQL scripts, and applies them to the database if it hasn't been done yet.
>>
>> I want to implement this in D. However, while D allows you to import individual files, it doesn't let you import an entire directory.
>>
>> I can make a prebuild script to generate code for this, but I'm wondering: do other people find themselves needing this periodically? If so, I can write a DIP for it, or at least publish a codegen tool that other people can use.
>
> Why do you want to import files at compile time? Why can't it be done in run time, by simply reading directory with dirEntries and opening std.stdio.File for each one?

Three is a use case. I have an application which should be translated into different languages. I created a texts.prop file. The language department will create texts_en.prop, texts_de.prop and so on. The language department will create GIT pull requests which will cause the build infrastructure to recompile my application. Any new text_**.prop should be automatically included in the build process.

There is an advantage and a disadvantage of using import for this scenario. The advantage is, it was really easy to implement and in case I use non existing text keys in the coding, there is a compiler time error.
But there is a major downside, although nothing is changed in any file, dub will every time recompile my application. Also my rather small application takes 4 seconds to compile due to this logic.

Therefore I tend to reimplement the logic using a dub pre build script.

Kind regards
Andre

November 14
On Monday, 13 November 2017 at 16:18:06 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:

> Three is a use case. (...)

Yeah, I could probably find more use cases, but from the OP's question it's not clear what would be the benefit of doing it at compile time in OP's case.