Thread overview
Blog Post #77: Notebook, Part I
4 days ago
Ron Tarrant
October 08
Today starts a new series on the Notebook widget. Over the next few weeks, we'll dig in deep, looking at single-tab and multiple-tab demos, customizing the look of the actual tabs, adding and removing tabs... a whole ton of stuff. Sounds like fun, right?

Come on over and check it out: https://gtkdcoding.com/2019/10/08/0077-notebook-i-basics.html
October 09
On Tuesday, 8 October 2019 at 10:00:00 UTC, Ron Tarrant wrote:
> Today starts a new series on the Notebook widget. Over the next few weeks, we'll dig in deep, looking at single-tab and multiple-tab demos, customizing the look of the actual tabs, adding and removing tabs... a whole ton of stuff. Sounds like fun, right?
>
> Come on over and check it out: https://gtkdcoding.com/2019/10/08/0077-notebook-i-basics.html

Good works

Is there any way to detect the size of my screen using gtkd? So that incan calculate the size of my screen and center my window on the screen using move(x, y).

Besides can you convert all your posts to a pdf that is easily downloadable for those with little internet access?
October 09
On Wednesday, 9 October 2019 at 03:13:48 UTC, GreatSam4sure wrote:

> Good works

Thanks, GreatSam4sure.

> Is there any way to detect the size of my screen using gtkd? So that incan calculate the size of my screen and center my window on the screen using move(x, y).

I had a quick look into this and there is no straightforward solution, so I can't give you an immediate answer. It would be easier to explain with a demo, so I'll need some time to work one up. I've put it on my to-do list.

> Besides can you convert all your posts to a pdf that is easily downloadable for those with little internet access?

I've been thinking about an ebook based on the blog, something that would start with installing a development environment, go into how to organize and write each part of an application, and end with how to distribute the finished product. It's in very early stages ATM, but I'm open to any suggestions you (or anyone else) may have for how to make it as useful as possible.

October 09
On Wednesday, 9 October 2019 at 09:44:39 UTC, Ron Tarrant wrote:
> On Wednesday, 9 October 2019 at 03:13:48 UTC, GreatSam4sure wrote:
>
>> Good works
>
> Thanks, GreatSam4sure.
>
>> Is there any way to detect the size of my screen using gtkd? So that incan calculate the size of my screen and center my window on the screen using move(x, y).
>
> I had a quick look into this and there is no straightforward solution, so I can't give you an immediate answer. It would be easier to explain with a demo, so I'll need some time to work one up. I've put it on my to-do list.
>
>> Besides can you convert all your posts to a pdf that is easily downloadable for those with little internet access?
>
> I've been thinking about an ebook based on the blog, something that would start with installing a development environment, go into how to organize and write each part of an application, and end with how to distribute the finished product. It's in very early stages ATM, but I'm open to any suggestions you (or anyone else) may have for how to make it as useful as possible.


Thanks, it will be better to use coded. It is very easy to stand a gtkd project in coded and vs code.


All dependency taking care of. Dub will download the dependency for if you are connected to the internet
October 12
On Tuesday, 8 October 2019 at 10:00:00 UTC, Ron Tarrant wrote:
> Today starts a new series on the Notebook widget. Over the next few weeks, we'll dig in deep, looking at single-tab and multiple-tab demos, customizing the look of the actual tabs, adding and removing tabs... a whole ton of stuff. Sounds like fun, right?
>
> Come on over and check it out: https://gtkdcoding.com/2019/10/08/0077-notebook-i-basics.html

Nice work, Ron!

I'm just converted some of you examples into dub based projects, and compiled and run them a normal intel PC and a Raspberry. As a prerequisite I had to install the following on a Raspian Lite installation (from a NOOP sdcard, no GUI)

$ sudo apt install libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0 libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-0

I also installed dub and ldc2 on it:

$ sudo apt install dub ldc2

I prepared a new project

$ dub init gtk_test_0 gtk-d

and replaced the contents of source/app.d with your very first example 'Hello GtkD Imperative'.

Assuming you logged in with 'ssh -YXC pi@<yourbox>', you can compile and start it with

$ dub run

A nice empty GTK window should appear now. Of course a normal Raspbian installation with GUI should work as well.

Ever considered to provide such dub based examples on GitHub/GitLab/... for easy access?

Such source examples could be very helpful for GTK newbies. And dub projects should work on Windows as well.

Carsten

October 12
On Saturday, 12 October 2019 at 16:34:01 UTC, Carsten Schlote wrote:

> Nice work, Ron!

Thanks, Carsten.

> I'm just converted some of you examples into dub based projects, and compiled and run them a normal intel PC and a Raspberry. As a prerequisite I had to install the following on a Raspian Lite installation (from a NOOP sdcard, no GUI)

Well, that's pretty cool.

> Ever considered to provide such dub based examples on GitHub/GitLab/... for easy access?

Yup! It's coming. Also, module-based stuff.

> Such source examples could be very helpful for GTK newbies. And dub projects should work on Windows as well.

Yup, absolutely.


4 days ago
On Wednesday, 9 October 2019 at 03:13:48 UTC, GreatSam4sure wrote:

> Is there any way to detect the size of my screen using gtkd? So that incan calculate the size of my screen and center my window on the screen using move(x, y).

I was distracted last time I replied to this thread and so overlooked the obvious.

This is actually very simple to do. Add this to your Window or MainWindow constructor:

Window.setPosition(WindowPosition.CENTER);

That's it.

Here's a full example, so you can see it in its natural habitat: https://github.com/rontarrant/gtkDcoding/blob/master/001_window/window_001_11_centered.d