March 02, 2012
I'm relatively new to D, so I'm looking at everything I can. The D wiki linked from the D site has so much outdated information and entries that are more talk pages than actual entries (e.g. http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?ComingFrom/Ruby )

If that wiki is not the best place to go for information (besides the newsgroup), what is?
March 02, 2012
"Robert Rouse" <robert.e.rouse@gmail.com> wrote in message news:arfpdcbasynmuzzsfxjm@forum.dlang.org...
> I'm relatively new to D, so I'm looking at everything I can. The D wiki linked from the D site has so much outdated information and entries that are more talk pages than actual entries (e.g. http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?ComingFrom/Ruby )
>

That's a good point. We should probably be more dilligent with the Wiki than we have been. :/

> If that wiki is not the best place to go for information (besides the newsgroup), what is?

dlang.org


March 02, 2012
Well the quality and freshness of the wiki content really depends on volunteer effort. I suspect it's going to be kept more up-to-date as more contributors start coming in. I hope we get an even better wiki some day, e.g. something with better spam protection and nicer formatting and looks.

We should make Vladimir create a wiki engine in D. :P
March 02, 2012
Should not at least library reference be automatically generated from code basing on D doc (similar to Javadoc)?

March 02, 2012
On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 08:54:26PM +0100, Vadim Goryunov wrote:
> Should not at least library reference be automatically generated from code basing on D doc (similar to Javadoc)?

AFAIK, the library docs on dlang.org are generated from ddocs in the source.


T

-- 
All problems are easy in retrospect.
March 02, 2012
> If that wiki is not the best place to go for information (besides the newsgroup), what is?

I found the IRC to be a great help at times. #d on freenode
March 02, 2012
On Friday, March 02, 2012 12:00:39 Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Robert Rouse" <robert.e.rouse@gmail.com> wrote in message news:arfpdcbasynmuzzsfxjm@forum.dlang.org...
> 
> > I'm relatively new to D, so I'm looking at everything I can. The D wiki linked from the D site has so much outdated information and entries that are more talk pages than actual entries (e.g. http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?ComingFrom/Ruby )
> 
> That's a good point. We should probably be more dilligent with the Wiki than we have been. :/

Honestly, I keep forgetting that the thing exists.

- Jonathan M Davis
March 02, 2012
On Friday, March 02, 2012 12:41:55 H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 08:54:26PM +0100, Vadim Goryunov wrote:
> > Should not at least library reference be automatically generated from code basing on D doc (similar to Javadoc)?
> 
> AFAIK, the library docs on dlang.org are generated from ddocs in the source.

Yes. The library documentation on dlang.org is generated with ddoc from the druntime and Phobos source code. The rest is all part of the d-programming- language.org project on github.

- Jonathan M Davis
March 03, 2012
On Friday, 2 March 2012 at 14:49:54 UTC, Robert Rouse wrote:
> I'm relatively new to D, so I'm looking at everything I can. The D wiki linked from the D site has so much outdated information and entries that are more talk pages than actual entries (e.g. http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?ComingFrom/Ruby )
>
> If that wiki is not the best place to go for information (besides the newsgroup), what is?

If you do not find the page helpful, please delete it/remove the
reference to it. The wiki works best when someone is willing to
make it better, and removing useless information is part of that.

There are however a few good pages in there, but the comingFrom
section hasn't been getting any attention.

If you know Ruby and continue to learn D, it would be great if
the page were updated.

As mentioned Dlang.org is the official documentation, and is on
github for pull requests, bugs are reported to

http://d.puremagic.com/issues/

PS

I would actually like to have you continue to use the wiki and
see what else you find, you can send complaints directly to me
and I'll try to make use of that information to make it better.
(I can organize my email, and can't organize the newsgroup)
March 07, 2012
On 03/03/2012 01:55, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> On Friday, 2 March 2012 at 14:49:54 UTC, Robert Rouse wrote:
>> I'm relatively new to D, so I'm looking at everything I can. The D
>> wiki linked from the D site has so much outdated information and
>> entries that are more talk pages than actual entries (e.g.
>> http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?ComingFrom/Ruby )
>>
>> If that wiki is not the best place to go for information (besides the
>> newsgroup), what is?
>
> If you do not find the page helpful, please delete it/remove the
> reference to it. The wiki works best when someone is willing to
> make it better, and removing useless information is part of that.

That's a tricky thing to do. While it's easy to add new information to the wiki, removing it is not as clear-cut: it requires someone to be able to determine that information is outdated/incorrect/obsolete, and to be able to correct it (in case the correction is not as simple as deleting, but rather fixing some entry). And even so, unless the error in the information is glaring, people might be reticent to do it, as it implies "interfering" with someone else's work, and one does not always know if that is appropriate.

I also generally agree it would be better to have some sort of process set up around the wiki. Curate it in some way, or have a more managed, distilled version, that would be of use for newcomers. Indeed, it seems to me there is an important separation between some pages, those that are more discussion like, or more relevant only to experienced/involved members of the D community, and other pages which are quite important for beginners (like the Editors page and others linked from dlang.org), to offer a Getting-Started kind of information.


-- 
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home