Jump to page: 1 2
Thread overview
State of the union on arch linux......
5 days ago
Andy Smith
5 days ago
Elronnd
5 days ago
Seb
5 days ago
Seb
5 days ago
Seb
5 days ago
Andy Smith
5 days ago
Anton Fediushin
5 days ago
bachmeier
2 days ago
Seb
2 days ago
Seb
5 days ago
Hi All,

I recently had to retire my ageing Ubuntu laptop and decided to go for Arch as the OS of choice for its successor, since I was quite sold on this 'rolling release' concept.

My expectation was to have the latest, shiniest versions of the three major D compilers at my fingertips but so far it looks like the only compiler that works out of the box (*) is LDC.

(*) works out of the box = can compile and run a simple helloworld program.

I checked out the snap package that Joseph spoke about at DCONF 2017 but again it seems like only LDC has snap packages available.

Is the state of affairs really this bad on Arch? Or is there a HOWTO where I can get up and running with all three compilers?

Cheers,

A












5 days ago
Take a look at your /etc/dmd.conf.  It probably looks like this right now:



[Environment32]
DFLAGS=-I/usr/include/dlang/dmd -L-L/usr/lib32 -L--export-dynamic -fPIC

[Environment64]
DFLAGS=-I/usr/include/dlang/dmd -L-L/usr/lib -L--export-dynamic -fPIC



Add "-defaultlib=libphobos2.so" to the end of both of those lines so it looks like this:


[Environment32]
DFLAGS=-I/usr/include/dlang/dmd -L-L/usr/lib32 -L--export-dynamic -fPIC -defaultlib=libphobos2.so

[Environment64]
DFLAGS=-I/usr/include/dlang/dmd -L-L/usr/lib -L--export-dynamic -fPIC -defaultlib=libphobos2.so


As for GDC, when I complained about it, instead of updating it they removed (https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/gdc/) it.  I updated the PKGBUILD, though, and just now adopted the AUR package (https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/gdc/).  I'm in the process of updating it now, it should be up in few minutes.
5 days ago
On Sunday, 16 July 2017 at 22:53:09 UTC, Andy Smith wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I recently had to retire my ageing Ubuntu laptop and decided to go for Arch as the OS of choice for its successor, since I was quite sold on this 'rolling release' concept.
>
> My expectation was to have the latest, shiniest versions of the three major D compilers at my fingertips but so far it looks like the only compiler that works out of the box (*) is LDC.
>
> (*) works out of the box = can compile and run a simple helloworld program.
>
> I checked out the snap package that Joseph spoke about at DCONF 2017 but again it seems like only LDC has snap packages available.

https://github.com/dlang-snaps/dmd.snap

> Is the state of affairs really this bad on Arch? Or is there a HOWTO where I can get up and running with all three compilers?
>
> Cheers,
>
> A

See also: http://forum.dlang.org/post/vjpawnhzfvxffvsiojuf@forum.dlang.org
tl;dr: The Arch developers recently switched to enforcing PIE and they didn't care about updating dmd (even though we pinged them).
5 days ago
On Sunday, 16 July 2017 at 22:53:09 UTC, Andy Smith wrote:
> Or is there a HOWTO where I can get up and running with all three compilers?

Btw the the install script from dlang.org [1] is often quite handy. It even has an option to directly output the path to activation script:

source $(curl https://i.dlang.io | bash -s dmd -a)
source $(curl https://i.dlang.io | bash -s ldc -a)
source $(curl https://i.dlang.io | bash -s gdc -a)

[1] http://dlang.org/download.html
5 days ago
On Sunday, 16 July 2017 at 23:20:18 UTC, Seb wrote:
> On Sunday, 16 July 2017 at 22:53:09 UTC, Andy Smith wrote:
>> Or is there a HOWTO where I can get up and running with all three compilers?
>
> Btw the the install script from dlang.org [1] is often quite handy. It even has an option to directly output the path to activation script:
>
> source $(curl https://i.dlang.io | bash -s dmd -a)
> source $(curl https://i.dlang.io | bash -s ldc -a)
> source $(curl https://i.dlang.io | bash -s gdc -a)
>
> [1] http://dlang.org/download.html

Thanks for that

I'll try these out

....

Cheers,

A.

5 days ago
On Sunday, 16 July 2017 at 23:03:45 UTC, Elronnd wrote:
> As for GDC, when I complained about it, instead of updating it they removed (https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/gdc/) it.  I updated the PKGBUILD, though, and just now adopted the AUR package (https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/gdc/).  I'm in the process of updating it now, it should be up in few minutes.

Wow - that's pretty sad, but thanks a lot for keeping the gdc PKGBUILD up-to-date.
As it takes quite a long time to build everything, I uploaded a build package of the latest gdc:

http://files.wilzbach.me/dlang/aur

As an extra goodie this also contains the packages of latest (2.075.0-rc1) dmd built with PIE=1.
5 days ago
On Sunday, 16 July 2017 at 22:53:09 UTC, Andy Smith wrote:
> Is the state of affairs really this bad on Arch? Or is there a HOWTO where I can get up and running with all three compilers?

dmd installed with `pacman -S dmd` works for me. But it's 2.074, so I installed 2.074.1 with the script.

On Sunday, 16 July 2017 at 23:14:53 UTC, Seb wrote:
> https://github.com/dlang-snaps/dmd.snap

It doesn't work on Arch Linux, see https://github.com/dlang-snaps/dmd.snap/issues/11
Reason is, snapd in Arch Linux doesn't support "classic" packages yet. As soon as it's fixed, everything should work fine, but I haven't found any topics on Arch Linux forums, Snap forums or snapd repository issues about this problem.

On Sunday, 16 July 2017 at 23:14:53 UTC, Seb wrote:
> See also: http://forum.dlang.org/post/vjpawnhzfvxffvsiojuf@forum.dlang.org
> tl;dr: The Arch developers recently switched to enforcing PIE and they didn't care about updating dmd (even though we pinged them).

Nobody wants to maintain it, but AUR package cannot be created too. For now it isn't a big deal, but as soon as 2.075 is released, we should ping them again

5 days ago
On Monday, 17 July 2017 at 11:37:52 UTC, Anton Fediushin wrote:

> Nobody wants to maintain it, but AUR package cannot be created too. For now it isn't a big deal, but as soon as 2.075 is released, we should ping them again

I think there should be a PKGBUILD in the downloads section on dlang.org. Even better would be a package, if someone knowledgeable is willing to make it. We could be waiting a long time if we rely on pinging them.
2 days ago
On Monday, 17 July 2017 at 13:11:24 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Monday, 17 July 2017 at 11:37:52 UTC, Anton Fediushin wrote:
>
>> Nobody wants to maintain it, but AUR package cannot be created too. For now it isn't a big deal, but as soon as 2.075 is released, we should ping them again
>
> I think there should be a PKGBUILD in the downloads section on dlang.org. Even better would be a package, if someone knowledgeable is willing to make it. We could be waiting a long time if we rely on pinging them.

Okay, I created dmd-beta on the AUR. It's a drop-in replacement package for dmd, but updated to 2.075.0 and built with PIC=1. So static linking, which is used by default, (should) work.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/dmd-beta

Please when let me know when you encounter issues.

I still hope that the TU finally get around rebuilding dmd...
2 days ago
On Thursday, 20 July 2017 at 03:59:17 UTC, Seb wrote:
> I still hope that the TU finally get around rebuilding dmd...

http://forum.dlang.org/post/jfzyymrzepxkpedofqsf@forum.dlang.org :)

« First   ‹ Prev
1 2