Thread overview
Build GDC master from source
Aug 26
Nordlöw
August 26
Is it possible to build master or gcc-7 branch of GDC from source against GCC?

If so, which of the instructions

- https://wiki.dlang.org/GDC
- https://wiki.dlang.org/GDC/Installation/Generic

should I follow?

Even better, have anybody already got a script that does this?

Moreover, commit

https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/commit/2141559f78912b75ef7f9edc6e2d5548ea5ae282

has message "the frontend sources are now at 2.076". Does this mean that master compiles a working D compiler compatible with DMD 2.076?!!!
August 26
On Saturday, 26 August 2017 at 09:40:12 UTC, Nordlöw wrote:
> Is it possible to build master or gcc-7 branch of GDC from source against GCC?
>
> If so, which of the instructions
>
> - https://wiki.dlang.org/GDC
> - https://wiki.dlang.org/GDC/Installation/Generic
>
> should I follow?
>
> Even better, have anybody already got a script that does this?
>

Pretty much. Our CI script can be used as a reference too.

https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/blob/master/semaphoreci.sh

> Moreover, commit
>
> https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/commit/2141559f78912b75ef7f9edc6e2d5548ea5ae282
>
> has message "the frontend sources are now at 2.076". Does this mean that master compiles a working D compiler compatible with DMD 2.076?!!!

C++ headers are aligned with 2.076, as well as all regressions in the changelog backported.  We can build phobos 2.076 and pass all unittests. Not all features have been backported from D however. Notably static foreach in the upcoming release (and I have no plans to port it).

Moving to self hosted (ddmd) is something that will happen soon.

Iain.
December 29
On Saturday, 26 August 2017 at 10:23:19 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> Notably static foreach in the upcoming release (and I have no plans to port it).

Does this mean that gdc will never have static foreach?

December 29
On 29 December 2017 at 20:50, Jean-Louis Leroy via D.gnu <d.gnu@puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, 26 August 2017 at 10:23:19 UTC, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>>
>> Notably static foreach in the upcoming release (and I have no plans to
>> port it).
>
>
> Does this mean that gdc will never have static foreach?
>

No, it just means that maintained fork of the C++ implementation will not support static foreach.

The D implementation when its finally branched + working with bootstrapped builds (non-bootstrapped builds are fine and pass all tests) will initially use 2.076 proper, and so will come with all features, including static foreach.

Relevant PR https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/pull/550