Robert M. Münch
Mar 13, 2003
Walter
Mar 13, 2003
Robert M. Münch
Mar 13, 2003
Walter
March 12, 2003
Hi, I'm having some problems with SMAKE. I have a rather big makefile and SMAKE screws up compilation of one file in that SC doens't include the include files (I can see it in the list file). If I compile the file by hand from the command line everything works fine... strange thing.

This is happening while compiling Berkeley-DB 4.1.25 If someone would like to try it I can send over the makefile. Maybe I'm just blind...

--
Robert M. Münch
IT & Management Freelancer
Mobile: +49 (0)177 2452 802
Fax   : +49 (0)721 8408 9112
Web   : http://www.robertmuench.de

March 13, 2003
"Robert M. Münch" <robert.muench@robertmuench.de> wrote in message news:b4o485$289l$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> Hi, I'm having some problems with SMAKE. I have a rather big makefile and SMAKE screws up compilation of one file in that SC doens't include the include files (I can see it in the list file). If I compile the file by
hand
> from the command line everything works fine... strange thing.
>
> This is happening while compiling Berkeley-DB 4.1.25 If someone would like to try it I can send over the makefile. Maybe I'm just blind...

The only way to deal with those kinds of problems is to make a backup of the original makefile, and then start chopping off irrelevant parts of the problem makefile until it is reduced to just the syntax that causes the problem.

March 13, 2003
"Walter" <walter@digitalmars.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:b4olfd$2mvq$4@digitaldaemon.com...

> The only way to deal with those kinds of problems is to make a backup of
the
> original makefile, and then start chopping off irrelevant parts of the problem makefile until it is reduced to just the syntax that causes the problem.

Hi, thanks I try this. I'm really wondering since years why it's mostly impossible to have a simple out-of-the-box makefile setup for bigger source-code libraries. On Linux it's mostly working but on Windows it's really a pain. I'm mostly fighting against such issues than programming problems... Robert

March 13, 2003
"Robert M. Münch" <robert.muench@robertmuench.de> wrote in message news:b4pcc4$4si$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> "Walter" <walter@digitalmars.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:b4olfd$2mvq$4@digitaldaemon.com...
> > The only way to deal with those kinds of problems is to make a backup of
> the
> > original makefile, and then start chopping off irrelevant parts of the problem makefile until it is reduced to just the syntax that causes the problem.
> Hi, thanks I try this. I'm really wondering since years why it's mostly impossible to have a simple out-of-the-box makefile setup for bigger source-code libraries. On Linux it's mostly working but on Windows it's really a pain. I'm mostly fighting against such issues than programming problems... Robert

That's because makefile syntax & rules are a giant kludge. And nobody writes makefiles from scratch - they cut & paste & modify from others that someone else managed to get to work.

March 13, 2003
On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:02:46 -0800, Walter <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote:

> The only way to deal with those kinds of problems is to make a backup of the original makefile, and then start chopping off irrelevant parts of the
> problem makefile until it is reduced to just the syntax that causes the
> problem.

I further investigated the problem:

1. SMAKE always fails to compile one file.

2. If I cut & paste the compiler command to the command line it fails too (sometimes).

3. If I change the compile command the file compiles. Thats strange... Sometimes I need to change more, when the file compiles, and I use the original compile line it works too.

4. As posted SMAKE always compiles all files of a target. Is this normal? I though it checks which files changed and only compiles those.

-- 
Robert M. Münch
March 13, 2003
"Robert M. Münch" <robert.muench@robertmuench.de> wrote in message news:oprlzmliiyr6w2gz@news.digitalmars.com...
> On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:02:46 -0800, Walter <walter@digitalmars.com> wrote:
>
> > The only way to deal with those kinds of problems is to make a backup of
> > the original makefile, and then start chopping off irrelevant parts of
> > the
> > problem makefile until it is reduced to just the syntax that causes the
> > problem.
>
> I further investigated the problem:
>
> 1. SMAKE always fails to compile one file.
>
> 2. If I cut & paste the compiler command to the command line it fails too
> (sometimes).

? The compiler is pretty deterministic. Something it depends on is changing, like a .h or .sym file.

> 3. If I change the compile command the file compiles. Thats strange... Sometimes I need to change more, when the file compiles, and I use the original compile line it works too.

I have no idea what is happening. Again, try cutting the makefile down.

> 4. As posted SMAKE always compiles all files of a target. Is this normal?
I
> though it checks which files changed and only compiles those.

It depends on how you constructed the dependency list.