January 23, 2005
Hello Guys,

I'm moving some c# stuff to D and its been a little rough but not too bad. I do not come from a C/C++ background and so some obvious things are new to me. Pointers n related are perplexing to me, I'll learn more about them later I suppose!

I started a game in C# and the ported it to D. It uses SDL and OpenGL (thanks Derelict!) and it works very well. My next step is reading and writing game data, my preferred method is to use a binary file (aka DAT file). In C# I would do this by using a BinaryStream Reader and Writer.

For example, to read 4 bytes then a long...

byte[] myBytes = new byte[4];
myBytes[0] = reader.ReadByte();
myBytes[1] = reader.ReadByte();
myBytes[2] = reader.ReadByte();
myBytes[3] = reader.ReadByte();

long mySomeWhatBigNumber;

mySomeWhatBigNumber = reader.ReadInt64();


The binary writer was just as easy.

Writer.Write(myBytes[0]); // Automatically write a byte
Writer.Write(mySomeWhatBigNumber); // Automatically write a long

How can I do this in D? Its an absoluate pain to search google, etc for such a thing.

Thanks in advance for your time guys!

Nate
January 24, 2005
Mango's IO package provides stuff like this:

FileConduit fc = new FileConduit("file.txt");
IReader r = new Reader(fc);
byte[] b = new byte[4];
long l;
r.get(b[0]).get(b[1]).get(b[2]).get(b[3]).get(l);

You can get it at dsource.org

John

Nate wrote:
> Hello Guys,
> 
> I'm moving some c# stuff to D and its been a little rough but not too bad. I do not come from a C/C++ background and so some obvious things are new to me. Pointers n related are perplexing to me, I'll learn more about them later I suppose!
> 
> I started a game in C# and the ported it to D. It uses SDL and OpenGL (thanks Derelict!) and it works very well. My next step is reading and writing game data, my preferred method is to use a binary file (aka DAT file). In C# I would do this by using a BinaryStream Reader and Writer.
> 
> For example, to read 4 bytes then a long...
> 
> byte[] myBytes = new byte[4];
> myBytes[0] = reader.ReadByte();
> myBytes[1] = reader.ReadByte();
> myBytes[2] = reader.ReadByte();
> myBytes[3] = reader.ReadByte();
> 
> long mySomeWhatBigNumber;
> 
> mySomeWhatBigNumber = reader.ReadInt64();
> 
> 
> The binary writer was just as easy.
> 
> Writer.Write(myBytes[0]); // Automatically write a byte
> Writer.Write(mySomeWhatBigNumber); // Automatically write a long
> 
> How can I do this in D? Its an absoluate pain to search google, etc for such a thing.
> 
> Thanks in advance for your time guys!
> 
> Nate
January 24, 2005
Thank you very much John, this is exactly what I needed.

John Demme wrote:
> Mango's IO package provides stuff like this:
> 
> FileConduit fc = new FileConduit("file.txt");
> IReader r = new Reader(fc);
> byte[] b = new byte[4];
> long l;
> r.get(b[0]).get(b[1]).get(b[2]).get(b[3]).get(l);
> 
> You can get it at dsource.org
> 
> John
> 
> Nate wrote:
> 
>> Hello Guys,
>>
>> I'm moving some c# stuff to D and its been a little rough but not too bad. I do not come from a C/C++ background and so some obvious things are new to me. Pointers n related are perplexing to me, I'll learn more about them later I suppose!
>>
>> I started a game in C# and the ported it to D. It uses SDL and OpenGL (thanks Derelict!) and it works very well. My next step is reading and writing game data, my preferred method is to use a binary file (aka DAT file). In C# I would do this by using a BinaryStream Reader and Writer.
>>
>> For example, to read 4 bytes then a long...
>>
>> byte[] myBytes = new byte[4];
>> myBytes[0] = reader.ReadByte();
>> myBytes[1] = reader.ReadByte();
>> myBytes[2] = reader.ReadByte();
>> myBytes[3] = reader.ReadByte();
>>
>> long mySomeWhatBigNumber;
>>
>> mySomeWhatBigNumber = reader.ReadInt64();
>>
>>
>> The binary writer was just as easy.
>>
>> Writer.Write(myBytes[0]); // Automatically write a byte
>> Writer.Write(mySomeWhatBigNumber); // Automatically write a long
>>
>> How can I do this in D? Its an absoluate pain to search google, etc for such a thing.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your time guys!
>>
>> Nate
January 24, 2005
> For example, to read 4 bytes then a long...
>
> byte[] myBytes = new byte[4];
> myBytes[0] = reader.ReadByte();
> myBytes[1] = reader.ReadByte();
> myBytes[2] = reader.ReadByte();
> myBytes[3] = reader.ReadByte();
> long mySomeWhatBigNumber;
> mySomeWhatBigNumber = reader.ReadInt64();

See phobos' std.stream module: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/std_stream.html You'll want to use the Stream.read and Stream.write functions.

Phobos is the runtime library that comes with dmd.zip. Comments are welcome because phobos is still under development and it's easy to enhance it or fix bugs.

-Ben


January 24, 2005
I should add someone reported a problem with the latest phobos build on Windows - it looks like dmd version 0.111 has an out of date stream.obj file. Maybe Walter fixed it already. you but just in case you run into trouble with 0.111 you should recompile phobos.lib by changing to the phobos/srd directory and typing "make -f win32.mak"


January 24, 2005
Cool! Even better than what I was about to do. Big thanks Ben.

Ben Hinkle wrote:
>>For example, to read 4 bytes then a long...
>>
>>byte[] myBytes = new byte[4];
>>myBytes[0] = reader.ReadByte();
>>myBytes[1] = reader.ReadByte();
>>myBytes[2] = reader.ReadByte();
>>myBytes[3] = reader.ReadByte();
>>long mySomeWhatBigNumber;
>>mySomeWhatBigNumber = reader.ReadInt64();
> 
> 
> See phobos' std.stream module: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/std_stream.html
> You'll want to use the Stream.read and Stream.write functions.
> 
> Phobos is the runtime library that comes with dmd.zip. Comments are welcome because phobos is still under development and it's easy to enhance it or fix bugs.
> 
> -Ben 
> 
> 
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home