February 10, 2005
I'm trying to pass a delegate to a template but keep getting the error saying the template instance doesn't match any template declaration.  Has anyone tried this and been successful?  I've looked at the doc and it just says that templates accept type, value and alias type parameters; it doesn't explicitly exclude delegates though.  Is this something that's going to be supported?

Here's an example:

# import std.stdio;
#
# void main()
# {
#     int delegate() dg;
#     int foo() { return 3; }
#
#     dg = &foo;
#     test!(dg);
# }
#
# template test(T)
# {
#     void test(T dg)
#     {
#         int i = dg();
#         writef("i = %d\n", i);
#     }
# }

Compiling the above gives: TemplateTest.d(9): template instance test!(dg) does
not match any template declaration

I've also tried specializing it, but still to no avail. :(

Using DMD 0.111.

-Kramer


February 10, 2005
Kramer wrote:
> I'm trying to pass a delegate to a template but keep getting the error saying
> the template instance doesn't match any template declaration.  Has anyone tried
> this and been successful?  I've looked at the doc and it just says that
> templates accept type, value and alias type parameters; it doesn't explicitly
> exclude delegates though.  Is this something that's going to be supported?
> 
> Here's an example:
> 
> # import std.stdio;
> #
> # void main()
> # {
> #     int delegate() dg;
> #     int foo() { return 3; }
> #    #     dg = &foo;
> #     test!(dg);
> # }
> #
> # template test(T)
> # {
> #     void test(T dg)
> #     {
> #         int i = dg();
> #         writef("i = %d\n", i);
> #     }
> # }

It seems that the template itself is expecting a type parameter but you're trying to instantiate it with the instance of the delegate itself.
As I understand it, test!(int delegate()) would be the correct form to instantiate that template.

Maybe I'm missing something -- is D supposed to choose a type parameter from the type of a variable used in the instantiation? I don't remember reading anything to that effect in the D spec, but it might be a neat feature, if possible.
February 10, 2005
Niall FitzGibbon wrote:
<snip>
> It seems that the template itself is expecting a type parameter but you're trying to instantiate it with the instance of the delegate itself.
> As I understand it, test!(int delegate()) would be the correct form to instantiate that template.

Correct.

> Maybe I'm missing something -- is D supposed to choose a type parameter from the type of a variable used in the instantiation?
<snip>

No.  And even if it did, it would probably not be by the OP's syntax.

Stewart.

-- 
My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
February 10, 2005
In article <cufg4o$1nsi$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Niall FitzGibbon says...
>
>Kramer wrote:
>> I'm trying to pass a delegate to a template but keep getting the error saying the template instance doesn't match any template declaration.  Has anyone tried this and been successful?  I've looked at the doc and it just says that templates accept type, value and alias type parameters; it doesn't explicitly exclude delegates though.  Is this something that's going to be supported?
>> 
>> Here's an example:
>> 
>> # import std.stdio;
>> #
>> # void main()
>> # {
>> #     int delegate() dg;
>> #     int foo() { return 3; }
>> #
>> #     dg = &foo;
>> #     test!(dg);
>> # }
>> #
>> # template test(T)
>> # {
>> #     void test(T dg)
>> #     {
>> #         int i = dg();
>> #         writef("i = %d\n", i);
>> #     }
>> # }
>
>It seems that the template itself is expecting a type parameter but you're trying to instantiate it with the instance of the delegate itself. As I understand it, test!(int delegate()) would be the correct form to instantiate that template.
>
>Maybe I'm missing something -- is D supposed to choose a type parameter from the type of a variable used in the instantiation? I don't remember reading anything to that effect in the D spec, but it might be a neat feature, if possible.

test!(typeof(dg))


February 10, 2005
In article <cufl90$1u3k$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Ben Hinkle says...
>
>In article <cufg4o$1nsi$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Niall FitzGibbon says...
>>
>>Kramer wrote:
>>> I'm trying to pass a delegate to a template but keep getting the error saying the template instance doesn't match any template declaration.  Has anyone tried this and been successful?  I've looked at the doc and it just says that templates accept type, value and alias type parameters; it doesn't explicitly exclude delegates though.  Is this something that's going to be supported?
>>> 
>>> Here's an example:
>>> 
>>> # import std.stdio;
>>> #
>>> # void main()
>>> # {
>>> #     int delegate() dg;
>>> #     int foo() { return 3; }
>>> #
>>> #     dg = &foo;
>>> #     test!(dg);
>>> # }
>>> #
>>> # template test(T)
>>> # {
>>> #     void test(T dg)
>>> #     {
>>> #         int i = dg();
>>> #         writef("i = %d\n", i);
>>> #     }
>>> # }
>>
>>It seems that the template itself is expecting a type parameter but you're trying to instantiate it with the instance of the delegate itself. As I understand it, test!(int delegate()) would be the correct form to instantiate that template.
>>
>>Maybe I'm missing something -- is D supposed to choose a type parameter from the type of a variable used in the instantiation? I don't remember reading anything to that effect in the D spec, but it might be a neat feature, if possible.
>
>test!(typeof(dg))
>
>

This compiles, but when run doesn't print anything.  Plus, I just realized, I'd like to be able to templatize variable "i" with the return type of the template. I think I might be asking for too much...

-Kramer


February 10, 2005
Compiles, but doesn't print.  Maybe it's half-way supported at the moment?

-Kramer

In article <cufhh6$1pg8$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Stewart Gordon says...
>
>Niall FitzGibbon wrote:
><snip>
>> It seems that the template itself is expecting a type parameter but you're trying to instantiate it with the instance of the delegate itself. As I understand it, test!(int delegate()) would be the correct form to instantiate that template.
>
>Correct.
>
>> Maybe I'm missing something -- is D supposed to choose a type parameter from the type of a variable used in the instantiation?
><snip>
>
>No.  And even if it did, it would probably not be by the OP's syntax.
>
>Stewart.
>
>-- 
>My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.


February 10, 2005
Kramer wrote:
> Compiles, but doesn't print.  Maybe it's half-way supported at the moment?
> 
> -Kramer

You have to actually call the function that's part of the template. My first guess at this was to do:

test!(int delegate()).test(dg);

or

test!(typeof(dg)).test(dg);

as Ben suggested.

However, this lead to a compile error. I managed to get it to compile by changing the function name to be different to the template name. I'm not sure if this is a bug or intentional on the compiler's part, but renaming the function or template to be different from the other works:

test!(typeof(dg)).testb(dg);

template test(T)
{
    void testb(T dg)
    {
        int i = dg();
        writef("i = %d\n", i);
    }
}
February 10, 2005
Niall FitzGibbon wrote:
> Kramer wrote:
> 
>> Compiles, but doesn't print.  Maybe it's half-way supported at the moment?
> 
> You have to actually call the function that's part of the template. 

You mean

    test!(int delegate());

compiles?  That would seem a bug - I thought such blatant nop statements were meant to be illegal in D.

> My first guess at this was to do:
> 
> test!(int delegate()).test(dg);
> 
> or
> 
> test!(typeof(dg)).test(dg);
> 
> as Ben suggested.

My first guess would be

    test!(int delegate())(dg);

or

    test!(typeof(dg))(dg);

> However, this lead to a compile error. I managed to get it to compile by changing the function name to be different to the template name.
<snip>

That suggests that when the only member of a template has the same name as the template itself, the only-name-once notation _must_ be used. Maybe this is to void ambiguities....

Stewart.

-- 
My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
February 10, 2005
>>test!(typeof(dg))
>>
>>
>
> This compiles, but when run doesn't print anything.  Plus, I just
> realized, I'd
> like to be able to templatize variable "i" with the return type of the
> template.
> I think I might be asking for too much...

To call the function you need to explicitly call it:
test!(typeof(dg))(dg);

What's going on is the
test!(typeof(dg))
just "instantiates" the template and doesn't do anything else.

I'm exactly sure why you are using a template, though. You might want to
consider using overloaded test functions:
 import std.stdio;

 void main()
 {
     int foo() { return 3; }

     test(&foo);
 }

 void test(int delegate() dg)
 {
     int i = dg();
     writef("i = %d\n", i);
  }
void test(double delegate() dg)
{
     double x = dg();
     writef("x = %g\n", x);
 }


February 10, 2005
> That suggests that when the only member of a template has the same name as the template itself, the only-name-once notation _must_ be used. Maybe this is to void ambiguities....
> 
> Stewart.
> 

That seems logical. I wasn't aware that the test!(typeof(dg))(dg) format would work -- I was going by the TCopy/copy example in the template documentation :)
« First   ‹ Prev
1 2
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home