February 13, 2005
Hey guys, glad to be here.

In my free time, I'm working on a computer game in C on FreeBSD.  It's very early in development, of course, and I'd like to use D instead.  I'm rather new to it (just found this site today), but it's sort of a WTH thing. :D  I like C, but I really don't like header files at all.  Makeheaders solves some things, but I'd like to see what D can do for me.  I won't even get into C++.

So firstly, I'd like to know of any success or failure with D on FreeBSD.  It should work, right?  What all should I download?  Secondly, who else here is working on a game?  Anyone on gamedev.net?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your response(s?), and I'll probably make my over here if I need some help.

Take 'er easy,
Ben

February 13, 2005
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 01:38:45 +0000, Benjamin Heath wrote:

> Hey guys, glad to be here.
> 
> In my free time, I'm working on a computer game in C on FreeBSD.  It's very early in development, of course, and I'd like to use D instead.  I'm rather new to it (just found this site today), but it's sort of a WTH thing. :D  I like C, but I really don't like header files at all.  Makeheaders solves some things, but I'd like to see what D can do for me.  I won't even get into C++.
> 
> So firstly, I'd like to know of any success or failure with D on FreeBSD.  It should work, right?  What all should I download?  Secondly, who else here is working on a game?  Anyone on gamedev.net?
> 
> Anyway, I'm looking forward to your response(s?), and I'll probably make my over here if I need some help.
> 
> Take 'er easy,
> Ben

Hello Ben,

Welcome to D.  You should continue this thread in the digitalmars.d newsgroup.  This one is deprecated; its current usefulness is as a historical reference.

Concerning FreeBSD, I don't know who has tried getting things to work on that platform.  It shouldn't be too difficult, though, with the availability of gdc, a D language frontend for gcc.  You can find out more about gdc in the D.gnu newsgroup (for downloads and installation instructions). Since there are ports to OS X and Solaris, I imagine an x86 FreeBSD port should be very straight forward.

You may also like to take a look at dsource.org for an idea of what kind of D projects people are working on.  Game programming is certainly something D is capable of: if you search the digitalmars.d newsgroup you find some interesting references to game development.  For an example of a slick game written in D, go the Japanese sight (the current leaders in this area):

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/windows/tf_e.html

Good Luck!

- John R.

PS. You may also be able to run the linux dmd executable under FreeBSD using FreeBSD's linux binary compatibility layer.