March 31
On Sunday, 31 March 2019 at 14:05:23 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:
> To keep the project within scope and on schedule, I recommend a direct translation first (to whatever extent possible).  Avoid the temptation to do too much refactoring.  Remember, you can always followup with more PRs to clean things up, optimize, whatever if time and energy remain.

Yes this is what I'm targeting, a as direct translation as

> I hope I'm being helpful.  Keep in mind I've never participated in GSoC or anything like it.  I don't know much about writing proposals like this.  Don't feel compelled to include any of it in your proposal.

You are being really helpful <3. You mentioned topics and ideas
that I forgot about. I forgot about Lucia Cojocarus talk, and
I have now added that to the proposal.

> I'm also no expert with this stuff.  I'm just someone who spent some time on it in 2018.  I didn't submit many pull requests because I had to learn so much first about what needed to be done, and how.  I'm trying to pass that on to you and others.

Thanks :)

> I hope even after GSoC this kind of work will continue.

I can not promise anything as I don't know what my future holds,
but currently I could see myself continuing this work after GSoC.

> I'll take another look at your proposal in a few days, assuming you do some polishing between now and then.

Sounds good, with all the comments from you and Kayomn I realized
that I had to improve most of the text, and refocus a few parts.
So the text is kind of messy right now.
April 01
On Friday, 29 March 2019 at 15:35:10 UTC, Dan Printzell wrote:

> If you want to you (others are also welcomed) can look through
> my draft to make sure I have not written anything stupid and
> possibly suggest improvements.

We've finished the implementation of `_d_arraycast` as a template.  I followed essentially the same procedure in your propose.

1) - Add new template to druntime with unittests verifying the implementation

2) - Update DMD to call the template and remove calls to the previous runtime hook

3) - Remove the no-longer-used, old runtime hook from druntime

I made the mistake of planning for betterC in (1).  It made things a little too complicated which delayed the implementation and required me to have to do a little back-and-forth with Walter on how to not rock the boat too much.  You've already stated you're going with a direct translation.  That's good.  This at least shows some of the changes that may be required to get a feature working in betterC in a followup PR.  It also shows how complicated things can get when considering betterC.  I still have to add DMD PR to verify the betterC implementation, but I'm a little on the fence about it.

Anyway, in addition to Lucia's PRs...

... it serves as a good case study.


April 07
On Monday, 1 April 2019 at 02:59:09 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:
> ... it serves as a good case study.

Thanks again for all the help and the links :)

I'm happy with the proposal now, it took a bit longer than expected
but it is much better than the old one. I only have some small
nitpicks go though and fix. I will try to submit the proposal

Feel free to look at it again if you want.


Next ›   Last »
1 2 3