View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
December 20, 2005
Casting float to int and int to float
In D, does a cast from float to int (and vice-versa) actually convert the whole part of the float to an equivalent integer value? 
Or does the cast merely reinterpret the bits as the other type?

Thanks,
Garett
December 20, 2005
Re: Casting float to int and int to float
"Garett Bass" <gtbass@studiotekne.com> wrote in message 
news:do7jpf$1up0$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> In D, does a cast from float to int (and vice-versa) actually convert the 
> whole part of the float to an equivalent integer value?

Right.
December 20, 2005
Re: Casting float to int and int to float
Jarrett Billingsley wrote:

> "Garett Bass" <gtbass@studiotekne.com> wrote
>> In D, does a cast from float to int (and vice-versa) actually
>> convert the whole part of the float to an equivalent integer
>> value? 
> 
> Right. 

What is the "equivalent integer value" of a float that is out of the 
range of the integer it is casted to?

-manfred
December 20, 2005
Re: Casting float to int and int to float
Manfred Nowak wrote:

> What is the "equivalent integer value" of a float that is out of the 
> range of the integer it is casted to?

The smallest representable integer. For
long: (0x8000000000000000) -9223372036854775808
int: (0x80000000) -2147483648
etc...

/Oskar
December 20, 2005
Re: Casting float to int and int to float
Oskar Linde wrote:
[...]
> The smallest representable integer. For
> long: (0x8000000000000000) -9223372036854775808
> int: (0x80000000) -2147483648
> etc...

Sadly, it is neither documented nor implemented this way.

-manfred
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home