View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
February 11, 2006
Re: Time to release 1.0 (installers)
Walter Bright wrote:

>>Being updated to fix some quirks on FC4,
>>since recls/stlsoft doesn't support GCC4...
> 
> There are some new functions in std.file that might serve. 

Just a silly little header problem, nothing major...

See http://www.algonet.se/~afb/d/dmd-0.140-gcc4.patch

--anders
February 11, 2006
Re: Time to release 1.0 (installers)
Derek Parnell wrote:

> Ok, it looks like AB beat me to it. I was going to go via NSIS too.

Feel free to look the script over to see if I missed anything...

Some "D man" artwork for the installer could be useful, as well ?
(eg http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=135857)

--anders
February 11, 2006
Re: Time to release 1.0 (installers)
"Anders F Björklund" <afb@algonet.se> wrote in message 
news:dsk7eq$p5l$2@digitaldaemon.com...
> Just a silly little header problem, nothing major...
>
> See http://www.algonet.se/~afb/d/dmd-0.140-gcc4.patch

Thanks.
February 11, 2006
Re: Time to release 1.0 (installers)
Walter Bright wrote:

>>Just a silly little header problem, nothing major...
>>See http://www.algonet.se/~afb/d/dmd-0.140-gcc4.patch
> 
> Thanks. 

No problem, the rest of the GDC diff is here if you want it:

http://www.algonet.se/~afb/d/diffs/dmd-0.140-gdc-0.17.diff.gz


The more of the GDC patches that can go "upstream" into DMD,
the better. (i.e. with the proper #if's and such, that is...)

Biggest diffs right now is stderr fix, and merging HTML entities.
And of course adding version(Unix) to DMD, in addition to linux ?

--anders
February 12, 2006
Re: Time to release 1.0 (installers)
Walter Bright wrote:
> "Stewart Gordon" <smjg_1998@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:dshpvp$m1g$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> 
<snip>
> 
> In keeping with avoiding an installer, dmd is designed to not require any
> registry entries, environment variable edits, or even having the PATH set.
> Uninstall is as easy as just blowing away the directory it's installed in.
> 

How come that's not the case with Linux? Why can't I just unzip dmd 
somewhere and make it work? (or maybe I can but I'm too stupid to figure 
it out?)
February 13, 2006
Re: Time to release 1.0 (installers)
In article <dsir7e$1meh$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Walter Bright says...
>
>
>
>I personally don't like installers - not because they do a bad job, but 
>because
>I never know *what* they're doing to my system. Are they mucking with the
>registry? Installing spyware? Replacing uptodate drivers with older, buggy
>versions? Phoning home?

I don't know its name. but the installer used by BZFlag (www.bzflag.org) says
everything it does, with a nice scrollbar to see every move of it.

Ciao

---
http://www.mariottini.net/roberto/
February 15, 2006
Re: Time to release 1.0 (installers)
Roberto Mariottini wrote:
> I don't know its name. but the installer used by BZFlag (www.bzflag.org) says
> everything it does, with a nice scrollbar to see every move of it.

They use NSIS: http://nsis.sourceforge.net/
February 21, 2006
Re: Time to release 1.0 (installers)
Walter Bright wrote:
> "Stewart Gordon" <smjg_1998@yahoo.com> wrote in message 
> news:dshpvp$m1g$1@digitaldaemon.com...
> 
>> Anders F Björklund wrote: <snip>
>> 
>>> Walter does not want to do it for DMD (for Windows and Linux), 
>>> and due to the non-distribute license nobody else can either.
>> 
>> <snip>
>> 
>> Does DMD really need an installer?  Opening a .zip file and
>> extracting its contents isn't that difficult an operation.
> 
> 
> I personally don't like installers - not because they do a bad job,
> but because I never know *what* they're doing to my system. Are they
> mucking with the registry? Installing spyware? Replacing uptodate
> drivers with older, buggy versions? Phoning home?

Whoah! Installing a 'nice FREE screensaver with live paradise scenery' 
is a bit different than installing Mozilla or Firefox.

> With zip files, I can see what's going to happen, and my unzipper
> isn't going to execute any code from the archive.

We're talking Windoze here! Users simply consider a zip thingy 
home-made, no matter how good the program itself would be. And they hate 
having to do _anything_ themselves.

> In keeping with avoiding an installer, dmd is designed to not require
> any registry entries, environment variable edits, or even having the
> PATH set. Uninstall is as easy as just blowing away the directory
> it's installed in.

Just _having_ an installer doesn't create registry tweaks, environment 
mucking, or path changes. It's just another brick in the wall of deceit 
and make-believe that is _required_ between the user and what's 
happening for real. And if there's nothing happening, the easier for 
you. But it sure has to _look_ like a Grand Opening.
Next ›   Last »
1 2 3 4
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home