John Reimer
Jul 05, 2006
Jeremy
Jul 06, 2006
Stjepan Zlodi
July 04, 2006
http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm.

July 05, 2006
In article <e8d4fs$150p$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Boris Wang says...
>
>http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm.
>
>
>

I know! :( However, I think "Ruby" and those other languages popping up in the list are advertised more (e.g. tutorials showing on Slashdot, digg)... D just isn't "in your face" like many other languages :-\

July 05, 2006
Jeremy wrote:
> In article <e8d4fs$150p$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Boris Wang says...
>> http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm.
>>
> I know! :( However, I think "Ruby" and those other languages popping up in the
> list are advertised more (e.g. tutorials showing on Slashdot, digg)... D just
> isn't "in your face" like many other languages :-\
> 

I think it's because D is still smoothing out some rough edges, as in const, private import, raii and auto, etc. Once the rough edges are more well defined (and hopefully more intuitive), the language will be more concrete which should open up the doors for more development. I just hope the "rough edges" aren't left in because it's "too late" to change.

Lucas
July 05, 2006
Lucas Goss wrote:
> Jeremy wrote:
>> In article <e8d4fs$150p$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Boris Wang says...
>>> http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm.
>>>
>> I know! :( However, I think "Ruby" and those other languages popping up in the
>> list are advertised more (e.g. tutorials showing on Slashdot, digg)... D just
>> isn't "in your face" like many other languages :-\
>>
> 
> I think it's because D is still smoothing out some rough edges, as in const, private import, raii and auto, etc. Once the rough edges are more well defined (and hopefully more intuitive), the language will be more concrete which should open up the doors for more development. I just hope the "rough edges" aren't left in because it's "too late" to change.
> 
> Lucas

Um... maybe tiobe.com shouldn't be taken too seriously in the first place?

If we base D's popularity by tiobe, we are in for a roller coaster ride of emotions.  It appears to be a rather meaningless measurement of language use and an easily manipulated one at that.  Some people have already shown some examples of how to increase a language's standing in the list (as previous posts have mentioned?)

I suggest we ignore it almost completely rather than watch it with superstition. :)

-JJR
July 05, 2006
In article <e8h2k3$3a1$1@digitaldaemon.com>, John Reimer says...
>
>Lucas Goss wrote:
>> Jeremy wrote:
>>> In article <e8d4fs$150p$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Boris Wang says...
>>>> http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm.
>>>>
>>> I know! :( However, I think "Ruby" and those other languages popping
>>> up in the
>>> list are advertised more (e.g. tutorials showing on Slashdot, digg)...
>>> D just
>>> isn't "in your face" like many other languages :-\
>>>
>> 
>> I think it's because D is still smoothing out some rough edges, as in const, private import, raii and auto, etc. Once the rough edges are more well defined (and hopefully more intuitive), the language will be more concrete which should open up the doors for more development. I just hope the "rough edges" aren't left in because it's "too late" to change.
>> 
>> Lucas
>
>
>Um... maybe tiobe.com shouldn't be taken too seriously in the first place?
>
>If we base D's popularity by tiobe, we are in for a roller coaster ride of emotions.  It appears to be a rather meaningless measurement of language use and an easily manipulated one at that.  Some people have already shown some examples of how to increase a language's standing in the list (as previous posts have mentioned?)
>
>I suggest we ignore it almost completely rather than watch it with superstition. :)
>
>-JJR

Heh.. ignore it when the numbers are low, celebrate when it is high!

Say what you want about 'the list,' but I'm sure things would be better (more supporters etc.) if we were ranking higher.

July 05, 2006
> Jeremy wrote:
>
> 
> Say what you want about 'the list,' but I'm sure things would be better (more supporters etc.) if we were ranking higher.

I think things would be better if we had better libraries and some success stories.

-- 

July 05, 2006
In article <e8h7cv$7bh$1@digitaldaemon.com>, Andrei Khropov says...
>
>> Jeremy wrote:
>>
>> 
>> Say what you want about 'the list,' but I'm sure things would be better (more supporters etc.) if we were ranking higher.
>
>I think things would be better if we had better libraries and some success stories.
>

Of course; there are quite a few things that would make things better. 'The list' is rough measurement of how good things are going for a particular language. If we had better libraries and success stories, we might move up on the list :) I'm working on FreeUniverse (dsource) -- hopefully I'll have a success story to add :)

July 05, 2006
Jeremy wrote:

>> Um... maybe tiobe.com shouldn't be taken too seriously in the first place?
>>
>> If we base D's popularity by tiobe, we are in for a roller coaster ride of emotions.  It appears to be a rather meaningless measurement of language use and an easily manipulated one at that.  Some people have already shown some examples of how to increase a language's standing in the list (as previous posts have mentioned?)
>>
>> I suggest we ignore it almost completely rather than watch it with superstition. :)
>>
>> -JJR
> 
> Heh.. ignore it when the numbers are low, celebrate when it is high!
> 

lol. :)

> Say what you want about 'the list,' but I'm sure things would be better (more
> supporters etc.) if we were ranking higher.
> 
> 

I have to disagree with that.  If tiobe.com is anything, it is more likely to be the effect rather than the cause. But no matter. :)
July 05, 2006
In article <e8h8oq$88d$1@digitaldaemon.com>, John Reimer says...
>
>Jeremy wrote:
>
>>> Um... maybe tiobe.com shouldn't be taken too seriously in the first place?
>>>
>>> If we base D's popularity by tiobe, we are in for a roller coaster ride of emotions.  It appears to be a rather meaningless measurement of language use and an easily manipulated one at that.  Some people have already shown some examples of how to increase a language's standing in the list (as previous posts have mentioned?)
>>>
>>> I suggest we ignore it almost completely rather than watch it with superstition. :)
>>>
>>> -JJR
>> 
>> Heh.. ignore it when the numbers are low, celebrate when it is high!
>> 
>
>
>lol. :)
>
>
>> Say what you want about 'the list,' but I'm sure things would be better (more supporters etc.) if we were ranking higher.
>> 
>> 
>
>
>I have to disagree with that.  If tiobe.com is anything, it is more likely to be the effect rather than the cause. But no matter. :)

I agree it is not a cause, but an effect. I don't think I made that very clear in that line, but I wanted to say the two are related (e.g. more supporters => higher ranking)

July 06, 2006
Jeremy <Jeremy_member@pathlink.com> wrote in news:e8ghfk$366$1@digitaldaemon.com:

> 
> I know! :( However, I think "Ruby" and those other languages popping up in the list are advertised more (e.g. tutorials showing on Slashdot, digg)... D just isn't "in your face" like many other languages :-\
> 

Secret of Ruby's success is just one framework (Ruby On Rails). D need just one killer app. ;-)

-- 
http://wolfwoodscrowd.info