July 25, 2006
Hi!

Time to check out D again...

I saw Graham St Jack's post in February about condition variables
(http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/34392.html),
and I just want to give the reason it never got into D/Phobos.

My first question about CVs is in a post from early December. I coded the solution linked to in the February post in mid-December. However,
the reason it never got any further was:

1) I have no idea what the proper way of submitting patches are.
 2) Walter actually answered; but only with "I'm not using it, so I
    don't know if it's correct"
 3) David Friedman told me he would test it, but I never heard from him.
 4) No one else seemed interested.

It is still my (and now it seems, Graham's) highest belief that D won't be a major language until we have something comparable to Java's excellent built-in threading support.

/Tommie Gannert
August 03, 2006
Tommie Gannert wrote:
> Hi!
> 
> Time to check out D again...
> 
> I saw Graham St Jack's post in February about condition variables (http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/34392.html), and I just want to give the reason it never got into D/Phobos.
> 
> My first question about CVs is in a post from early December. I coded the solution linked to in the February post in mid-December. However, the reason it never got any further was:
> 
>  1) I have no idea what the proper way of submitting patches are.
>  2) Walter actually answered; but only with "I'm not using it, so I
>     don't know if it's correct"
>  3) David Friedman told me he would test it, but I never heard from him.
>  4) No one else seemed interested.
> 
> It is still my (and now it seems, Graham's) highest belief that D won't be a major language until we have something comparable to Java's excellent built-in threading support.
> 
> /Tommie Gannert
I second that motion!

Something should be done before version 1.0, even if it is just an extension to Phobos to add a Condition class - but a language extension would be so much nicer because the compiler could do error-checking.

Isn't there anyone out there using threads seriously? What do you use for conditions? What do you think should be done, if anything?