View mode: basic / threaded / horizontal-split · Log in · Help
August 22, 2006
Question about win32, windows.d, user32 and kernel32
It seems to me as if std.c.windows.windows has the stuff which describes data 
structures and functions for kernel32. However I just had to pull some info out 
of the dmc include folder to work with clipboard related functions. I am curious 
why dmd links with user32 and kernel32 but does not seem to have a D version of 
winuser.h?
August 23, 2006
Re: Question about win32, windows.d, user32 and kernel32
nobody wrote:
> It seems to me as if std.c.windows.windows has the stuff which describes 
> data structures and functions for kernel32. However I just had to pull 
> some info out of the dmc include folder to work with clipboard related 
> functions. I am curious why dmd links with user32 and kernel32 but does 
> not seem to have a D version of winuser.h?

Because translating the Win32 headers is a work in progress.

http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?WindowsAPI

Stewart.

-- 
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/M d- s:-@ C++@ a->--- UB@ P+ L E@ W++@ N+++ o K-@ w++@ O? M V? PS- 
PE- Y? PGP- t- 5? X? R b DI? D G e++++ h-- r-- !y
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies on 
the 'group where everyone may benefit.
August 23, 2006
Re: Question about win32, windows.d, user32 and kernel32
Stewart Gordon wrote:
> nobody wrote:
>> It seems to me as if std.c.windows.windows has the stuff which 
>> describes data structures and functions for kernel32. However I just 
>> had to pull some info out of the dmc include folder to work with 
>> clipboard related functions. I am curious why dmd links with user32 
>> and kernel32 but does not seem to have a D version of winuser.h?
> 
> Because translating the Win32 headers is a work in progress.
> 
> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?WindowsAPI
> 
> Stewart.
> 

Thanks for the reply and the link. I can understand that translating the full 
collection of Win32 headers is a large task. I was curious why winuser in 
particular was not translated if kernel32 and user32 are linked by default for 
every build.
August 23, 2006
Re: Question about win32, windows.d, user32 and kernel32
nobody wrote:
> Stewart Gordon wrote:
>> nobody wrote:
>>> It seems to me as if std.c.windows.windows has the stuff which 
>>> describes data structures and functions for kernel32. However I just 
>>> had to pull some info out of the dmc include folder to work with 
>>> clipboard related functions. I am curious why dmd links with user32 
>>> and kernel32 but does not seem to have a D version of winuser.h?
>>
>> Because translating the Win32 headers is a work in progress.
>>
>> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?WindowsAPI
>>
>> Stewart.
>>
> 
> Thanks for the reply and the link. I can understand that translating the 
> full collection of Win32 headers is a large task. I was curious why 
> winuser in particular was not translated if kernel32 and user32 are 
> linked by default for every build.

I believe the windows headers that come with D are the ones which were 
needed for Empire to compile. I think they were expanded a bit beyond 
that, but it explains why the selection of functions is a bit odd; they 
were added as required.
August 23, 2006
Re: Question about win32, windows.d, user32 and kernel32
Don Clugston wrote:
> nobody wrote:
>> Stewart Gordon wrote:
>>> nobody wrote:
>>>> It seems to me as if std.c.windows.windows has the stuff which 
>>>> describes data structures and functions for kernel32. However I just 
>>>> had to pull some info out of the dmc include folder to work with 
>>>> clipboard related functions. I am curious why dmd links with user32 
>>>> and kernel32 but does not seem to have a D version of winuser.h?
>>>
>>> Because translating the Win32 headers is a work in progress.
>>>
>>> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?WindowsAPI
>>>
>>> Stewart.
>>>
>>
>> Thanks for the reply and the link. I can understand that translating 
>> the full collection of Win32 headers is a large task. I was curious 
>> why winuser in particular was not translated if kernel32 and user32 
>> are linked by default for every build.
> 
> I believe the windows headers that come with D are the ones which were 
> needed for Empire to compile. I think they were expanded a bit beyond 
> that, but it explains why the selection of functions is a bit odd; they 
> were added as required.

That would certainly make sense. Thanks!
August 25, 2006
Re: Question about win32, windows.d, user32 and kernel32
nobody wrote:
> Don Clugston wrote:
<snip>
>> I believe the windows headers that come with D are the ones which were 
>> needed for Empire to compile. I think they were expanded a bit beyond 
>> that, but it explains why the selection of functions is a bit odd; 
>> they were added as required.
> 
> That would certainly make sense. Thanks!

Indeed, std.c.windows.windows doesn't correspond to any particular 
standard Windows header.  It's just Walter's practice of adding stuff as 
and when he needs it.

However, it appears that Empire was written around 
std.c.windows.windows, rather than the other way round.  In particular, 
for some reason I never established the old Empire D code worked around 
the (since fixed) broken declarations of DLGPROC et al.

Stewart.

-- 
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/M d- s:-@ C++@ a->--- UB@ P+ L E@ W++@ N+++ o K-@ w++@ O? M V? PS- 
PE- Y? PGP- t- 5? X? R b DI? D G e++++ h-- r-- !y
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies on 
the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Top | Discussion index | About this forum | D home